Questions About Qualifications

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the nice thread here. I've just finished reading these 24 pages, and now I've some idea of what it takes to teach in Thailand. I must say, it's not very encouraging. But it's definitely better to understand the situation first before taking the plunge.

Though I'm not a newbie in TV, I am a newbie in the teaching forum. I've been toying around with the idea of teaching in Thailand for some time, and only recently started to seriously explore the possibilities.

My background:

- not a native speaker. I'm Singaporean and I look Thai. 30+, male, fair skinned.

- 4 years Degree in Engineering

- No TEFL, but I have teaching experience in middle school Maths and Science for small tuition classes

My objectives:

- teach for 1 or 2 years, preferably in Chiang Mai or a neighbouring city.

- order of preference for students: University, middle school or high school

- preferred subjects: English, Maths and Science

I'm making a trip to Chiang Mai next week (June) and will be looking for teaching jobs during the 1 month stay. I'd appreciate some advice:

1. Do I have the qualifications to teach legally? If not, what else do I need?

2. I know the term had already started. Are my chances of finding a teaching job in June too slim?

3. If I spend this one month on a TEFL course, how much would it improve my chances of getting a job? Taking into consideration that I'm Asian.

4. What schools are more likely to hire me? Universities, language schools, government schools, or ?

Thanks for reading. I hope I've posted on the right thread. And pls forgive me if my questions had been asked before (I may have missed something).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, jexon, and congratulations for posting post #601 on this thread. :o

Being Asian may not be a problem in most places. I met a young Asian-Canadian without an accent who probably got hired, but there are a few places here who would prefer Caucasians. The school year has started, but I got hired in Chiang Mai in July when I finished my TEFL course, so it is possible. But I was at least as qualified as you are - to teach English - and the only thing I found was a 35 km trip, each way. Anything is possible, although most uni jobs expect a master's degree. Math and science teachers are more in demand, and schools are less likely to require a Caucasian to teach those subjects.

Good luck.

Hi PeaceBlondie,

Thanks! So I've kicked off Pg #25. :o

Also, thanks for your quick reply. I guess I'll have to try and poke my nose into as many schools as possible. Should I call them 1st or just walk in and ask for a meeting with the Head of English?

Oh, and I suppose whether I can teach legally is up to the school? That is, if the school wanted to, I can just take the culture test, pass it and the school will help me become legal?

If you know all the schools' addresses (a TEFL course should provide you with a list of local schools), it would be better to send them an email with your resume/CV, or to go in person. Telephone calls, only if you are fluent in Thai, unless you have the direct number for the Head of the Foreign Language Dept. or a language center's DOS. Do put your resume on a database of teachers looking for jobs in Thailand, although I have my doubts that many schools in Chiang Mai study those listings.

You should teach legally. Full-time teachers in Chiang Mai deserve work permits, O or B long-term visas for teaching. Let's hear from others: who in Chiang Mai has been required to take the TCT Culture Course to get a work permit or visa?

jexon, I am no expert. Nobody can say for sure what your chances are, but if you dress sharply, smile, say that you love Thailand, speak with less accent than your interviewers, etc., I think that you should have good chances.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there different types of Teacher's Licenses?

For example, if I have a valid TL that I used for teaching in a private school, but now I will start teaching in a government school, do I have to apply for a new (different type of) TL?

I am currently starting out as student in college and have yet to choose a major. I would like to teach english in Thailand and am wondering what subject should I get my BA in to give me the best opportunities as a TEFL in Thailand?

Since you use the term college as opposed to university, may I assume you are in the USA? You should major in English and education, I suppose. Get fully certified, licensed and experienced as a professional teacher, equal to B.Ed. or better. TEFL is a rotten specialty, world-wide, generally. Even in Thailand, a degree in TEFL might not get you into a good international school. Or, get a major in science, math, or business, plus the education major.

But I'm prejudiced, being the father of an outstanding BA teacher of chemistry and (this summer) physics.

Let me guess: your girlfriend or wife is Thai, or you are.

My husband and I will be moving to Chiangmai in September. We are both from the U.S. I will be arriving with a Bachelor’s in Liberal Studies from California State University East Bay and will have taken the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) but as I am getting my degree this year I am not already a full time teacher here though I do have some classroom teaching experience. I plan on doing my TEFL in Chiangmai soon after we arrive can anyone recommend a good place to do this and what else will I have to do before I can be considered for a legitimate teaching position? I have wanted to teach since I was a little girl and would love to teach children at the elementary level preferably at an International School but will teach whatever is asked. I know we will arriving after the start of the school year which is fine as I will still be working on a Master’s in Education in Elementary Education through a distance learning program so I do not necessarily have to start teaching right away although I will still like to start teaching as soon as possible. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi All

I thought it would be great to have a thread for those of us just starting to think about teaching full time in Thailand - me :o

I will be in Pattaya for a few months over the winter and thought it would be good to take one of the courses for teaching ..... so many ... thoughts on which "certificate" is best? - particular to Pattaya would be great!

Reading over the threads - I saw some salary estimates for teachers with a degree but wasn't sure what I could expect for income without a degree. Again particular to Pattaya if anyone knows

A modest income from teaching would be fine for me and I think give me an opportunity to spend some years in Pattaya doing something I would enjoy.

Thanks so much!

Our "Questions About Qualifications" thread has 25 pages of such information for new teachers, and this topic is now being merged with it. There are quite a number of TEFL cert threads if you'll look a few pages down; no need for a new one specific to Pattaya. It's good that you only need a modest income if you're looking to teach in Pattaya without a degree.

^^ To usarefugee

You have a snowball's chance in Heck of teaching at a genuine international school without a genuine, up-to-date U.S. teacher's license (as distinct from an education degree), and you would be unlikely to get the best jobs anyway without applying *from* the states and having a few years of experience. It will help a bit that you're female; otherwise you're pretty much looking at the best jobs in the non-true-blue educational institutions such as EP's and private "international" schools. Read the rest of the Questions About Qualifications thread (with which this one is now merged).

26 yrs old.

Degree from Oxford University in Politics and Economics.

Good with maths (Double A at A-Levels)

No Teaching certificate.

Aprox 1 month experience teaching english at a summer camp in korea.

What's the max salary I could get?

I'd be willing (and able) to teach maths up to high school level. Could also do economics, or politics as well as ESL (of course).

I don't know, but the maths requirement for high school teaching would expect you to have studied lots of maths in university. I earned 25K in 2004-2005 for teaching EFL and grade 7 maths in a remote province. But my academic transcripts, which they very well might scrutinize at most schools paying 30K and up nowadays, lacked any mathematics courses.

Your lack of a TEFL certificate, and insignificant EFL teaching anywhere, would hinder you from getting a moderately good job, I would think. I hope I am wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread and id just like to add my situation and to see what advice u guys can give,

Im in BKK at the moment, im here to study Thai language, ive been studying for about 7 months now. I only study twice a week so have plenty of time on my hands. Im from London, England, and i hold a TESOL certificate from the college of teachers uk (http://www.collegeofteachers.ac.uk/). My usual work in the UK is as a HVAC Engineer in London. I have a BTEC National Diploma which i think in my native UK can be classed as a Bachelor Degree equivalent, but probably not recognised as such here in Thailand.

Id like to teach English in BKK sometime in the near future, but i feel at the moment to be inexperienced at teaching and i dont really want Thai people paying hard earned money to their school for an english teacher who has very little experience. The only real 'teaching' experience ive had is teaching Health & Safety Law in the Construction Industry, this involved standing in front of a classroom of surly bricklayers, plumbers, scaffolders etc going over the finer points of H & S regulations, answering questions etc

i feel feel that i dont have the confidence to teach at the moment. If Thai students are paying money for me to teach them english i want to be the best teacher that i can possibly be. Id dearly love to teach english here, im keen and have recently been doing a lot of reading on Grammar, Lesson Planning etc

Anyway, my plan was to teach English in Bangkok voluntarily, part-time on my days off between studying, maybe for 6 months at least in order to pick up some teaching experience and confidence in order to go on and apply for paid teaching work. Does anyone know any organisations in Bangkok where i can apply or websites that i can contact? Or just general advice for a newbie wannabe english teacher, even if i could teach a few hours a week to get a taster of what being an english teacher in Thailand is really like...i would love to give teaching a go

I was offered a paid job recently teaching english but im going to turn it down because i feel that i have a lack of teaching experience :o

Hope u guys can help me out a little...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, great forum, so much advice............... now my head is swimming!

I have been thinking about teaching in Thailand for a number of years and find myself at a time of my life when I could make it happen............. however, I don't have a degree, I do have a city and Guilds Diploma in Sport and Recreation and for the past 20 years have worked with kids and adults, coaching various sports, running health and fitness clubs and have just returned from USA where I was an Ivy League champions coach at one of the major universities for past 4 years. I am looking at taking a TEFL course and have been studying Thai (tough!!!!!), but would like some advice on what the likelihood of me getting any kind of teaching job and what sort of pay I'd be looking at. I'd love to teach in BKK for a couple of years with the idea to move around the country teaching if possible.

This is my dream, I fell in love with Thailand, it's people and culture many years ago, but I feel like all this talk about having to have a degree is crushing the dream :o

Someone give me some positive vibes pleeeeeeease :D

juju

Hi, jexon, and congratulations for posting post #601 on this thread. :D

Being Asian may not be a problem in most places. I met a young Asian-Canadian without an accent who probably got hired, but there are a few places here who would prefer Caucasians. The school year has started, but I got hired in Chiang Mai in July when I finished my TEFL course, so it is possible. But I was at least as qualified as you are - to teach English - and the only thing I found was a 35 km trip, each way. Anything is possible, although most uni jobs expect a master's degree. Math and science teachers are more in demand, and schools are less likely to require a Caucasian to teach those subjects.

Good luck.

I like that PB... a Canadian without an accent... :o

Hi, jexon, and congratulations for posting post #601 on this thread. :D

Good luck.

I like that PB... a Canadian without an accent... :o

My bad. I meant to say, that she was an Asian-Canadian without an Asian accent. I think I did catch her saying "about" though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

any chances to teach english, on some low level?

I am 27 polish, did high school in poland 4 years, and got TEFL online with buisness english and english for kids.

whats my chances? like to teach basic english for masses, or kids.

thank you

any chances to teach english, on some low level?

I am 27 polish, did high school in poland 4 years, and got TEFL online with buisness english and english for kids.

whats my chances? like to teach basic english for masses, or kids.

thank you

In today's market - slim to none. You might get lucky and obtain a low-paying job at a low end language institute, or work at a hard-up government school in the sticks.

I always agree with Wangsuda. This week I ran into a guy I met whilst he was going to a TEFL course. African-American, high school graduate, did not know his grammar well. He had a very positive attitude, a likable guy. He managed to get a job teaching gym classes. No work permit. Low pay, visa runs. Etc. He sounded happy, but there is not much future in it. There isn't even much present tense in it, either.

Hi, great forum, so much advice............... now my head is swimming!

I have been thinking about teaching in Thailand for a number of years and find myself at a time of my life when I could make it happen............. however, I don't have a degree, I do have a city and Guilds Diploma in Sport and Recreation and for the past 20 years have worked with kids and adults, coaching various sports, running health and fitness clubs and have just returned from USA where I was an Ivy League champions coach at one of the major universities for past 4 years. I am looking at taking a TEFL course and have been studying Thai (tough!!!!!), but would like some advice on what the likelihood of me getting any kind of teaching job and what sort of pay I'd be looking at. I'd love to teach in BKK for a couple of years with the idea to move around the country teaching if possible.

This is my dream, I fell in love with Thailand, it's people and culture many years ago, but I feel like all this talk about having to have a degree is crushing the dream :o

Someone give me some positive vibes pleeeeeeease :D

juju

I ran into a guy this week, who is in something of the same situation, here in Chiang Mai. Much younger than you, Black, American, no uni degree, recent TEFL graduate, a very likable guy. He coaches PE at a local bilingual school. Low pay, no way to get a work permit,, etc. He is doing visa runs (but you can only do so many). I do not see any long term future in that. Teaching English to beginners, endlessly, is hard work and unrewarding. As much as I would love to say, come on over, the world is your oyster, etc., I suspect that for many, Thailand is an empty sea shell.

Hi guys,

I have a TESOL certificate and I am thinking of obtaining further study so I can gain a good job in Thailand and I have found out that The University of Wollongong, Australia may allow me to do a Grad certificate in Tesol since I have done a 120hr Tesol course and have previously taught in Thailand even though I don't have a Bachelor degree.

If I do this course would that guarantee me employment in a University or International school in Thailand?

Also would I get a work permit with these qualifications behind me?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Edited by sevenseconds

Hi guys,

I have a TESOL certificate and I am thinking of obtaining further study so I can gain a good job in Thailand and I have found out that The University of Wollongong, Australia may allow me to do a Grad certificate in Tesol since I have done a 120hr Tesol course and have previously taught in Thailand even though I don't have a Bachelor degree.

If I do this course would that guarantee me employment in a University or International school in Thailand?

Also would I get a work permit with these qualifications behind me?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Check out the question on qualifications thread in the sub forum. If you have previously taught in Thailand, you already know that there are jobs available. No employment is guaranteed. The question about work permit comes up often. Some people have never even seen one in all of their years teaching in the LOS let alone possess one! The EP that I teach for requires that all of their teachers are legal so you must have Non. B plus WP, and in order to obtain the WP you must have a BA/BS. There has been talk on this forum of teachers obtaining a WP without a BS/BA, but as far as I know it is all hearsay since no one can confirm this.

It is also important to keep in mind that most of the good international schools do most of their recruiting from outside of Thailand. Govt. schools with sound EP's (often times) pay more than Universities do. Good Luck! :o

Edited by mizzi39

mizzi, it's right that some of the best secondary schools pay well. I once talked to a teacher at one of the best best government schools, if they were working up to international school status. Nope. Too little more money for much more work and hassles! That teacher was earning about 65K salary, and more at tutoring.

In making the rounds of Chiang Mai schools, I have heard confirmed reports that X, Y and Z got work permits without a degree. But last week at the cinema, another guy said he had not gotten a WP. I believe my sources, that some folks get a WP without a degree, so I never say never. But I encourage nobody to come here thinking they can prosper without a degree, starting this year. You could manage more easily 5 or 10 years ago, but much less likely now, especially if the fantasies/nightmares dictated by TCT come true.

• 3 weeks later...

I have looked into some other topics on this forum to do with this.

I asked for advice to do with qualifications while in England not in Thailand so can be a fully certificated teacher to teach in Thailand with in the year i can learn here. And not some deadbeat of the road to teach them in Thailand.

Please give me some advise apart from before.

ie: Ijustwanateach :o