Questions About Qualifications

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, Steve. It's pretty sad that in response to the criminals on the run illegally working here as teachers, that they make life harder for those of us who do go through the legal processes.

No problem on the first. Very true on the second.

Probably not, as long as they can see the "Bachelor's" written on it somewhere.

I,m not 100% certain on this but as far as Chonburi province MoE is concerned ( the area covers Pattaya ) I believe that they cross reference the names of Universities / Colleges / Polytechnics with a list of Edu establishments that ARE not approved by the US Dept. of Education. This includes countries UK, Australia, most of Europe etc. This list names all the " Degree Mills " . Life degrees

Apparently there are over 500?

I recently saw people mention on TV and ajarn that one needs a 4-year degree to teach in Thailand. My degree is a Bachelors degree, from a reputable school, but it is a 3-year degree, at my school only people who are doing Honours do a 4-year degree. Will this cause me problems? Is the 4-year restriction something that applies only to the degrees from the US? (I remember reading how there you can get 2-year university degree s that are not full Bachelor degree, "Associate" degrees, I think they are called).

I,ve heard this mentioned before but i have no idea where i heard or read about it. It would confirm my reply above i think.

I think it still largely depends on the MoE of the province you are in and also how influential the school is.

The reponsibilty for degree verification is on the school itself.........not the MoE. They will investigate though if they have reason to believe the applications are not "kosher"

I do have a couple of friends from the USA who are currently teaching in Bangkok with the 2 year Associates degrees. They had no problems getting licensed and WP etc so i think you should be ok.

Different provinces though seem to be applying different standards.

All i can say for sure is that Chonburi province ( Pattaya included ) is getting much stricter.

I,m in favour of this. The " unqualified backpacker " element do more harm than good. We are entrusted with the responsibilty of a childs education so we should be professionally qualified to do this.

Edited by stevemiddie

I think it still largely depends on the MoE of the province you are in and also how influential the school is.

The reponsibilty for degree verification is on the school itself.........not the MoE. They will investigate though if they have reason to believe the applications are not "kosher"

I do have a couple of friends from the USA who are currently teaching in Bangkok with the 2 year Associates degrees. They had no problems getting licensed and WP etc so i think you should be ok.

Different provinces though seem to be applying different standards.

All i can say for sure is that Chonburi province ( Pattaya included ) is getting much stricter.

Hi Stevemiddie,

thanks for your reply. I'm definitely not worried about my degree being legit. I just read on some web sites that you needed a 4-year degree to work in Thailand, and I didn't realize that this could be an issue. I knew that many places wanted you to have a Bachelors degree, but I didn't realize they might care about 4-years vs. 3-years.

Hi. I was not suggesting the degree was real or not. Just simply mentioned as an indication of how much harder it is becoming in Thailand to obtain all the legal papers for teaching.

My own degree was a 4 year ( hons ) but nowhere does it state on the certificate that it was in fact a 4 year course. It simply states date of graduation. It was accepted by the Thai authorities with no problems so i,m not sure how they go about determining what is a 4 year degree as opposed to a 3 year degree. In the UK the fact that a degree is with Hons does not always mean its 4 year. We have 3 year Hons degrees as well.

I think that as long as the degree has those magic words " Bachelor " and it comes from an accredited university it is almost certainly going to be accepted.

As i stated earlier, two previous colleagues of mine are working legitimately in Thailand and they only have the 2 year Associates degrees.

Best of luck with everything...........i,m sure you will be fine.

Edited by stevemiddie

Hi. I was not suggesting the degree was real or not. Just simply mentioned as an indication of how much harder it is becoming in Thailand to obtain all the legal papers for teaching.

Sorry! I didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you there! I'm working on my last course at the moment, so I think in my lost moments I think it would be a relielf to buy myself a fake one and save myself all this effort! :o

My own degree was a 4 year ( hons ) but nowhere does it state on the certificate that it was in fact a 4 year course. It simply states date of graduation. It was accepted by the Thai authorities with no problems so i,m not sure how they go about determining what is a 4 year degree as opposed to a 3 year degree. In the UK the fact that a degree is with Hons does not always mean its 4 year. We have 3 year Hons degrees as well.

I think that as long as the degree has those magic words " Bachelor " and it comes from an accredited university it is almost certainly going to be accepted.

As i stated earlier, two previous colleagues of mine are working legitimately in Thailand and they only have the 2 year Associates degrees.

Best of luck with everything...........i,m sure you will be fine.

Sorry! I didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you there! I'm working on my last course at the moment, so I think in my lost moments I think it would be a relief to buy myself a fake one and save myself all this effort! :D

But it's good to know that it will probably be ok. I don't know if they write 3 vs. 4 year degree on the ones from my uni, but I'm pretty sure they write "Bachelor" on it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

So I'm at a bit of a fork in the road currently and could use your help.

I recently began a Masters Program at a fairly reputable teachers college in NY (Manhattanville). So far I've only taken a few basic courses, such as Foundations of Education.

By the Fall, I have to decide what my focus is going to be..either TESOL or Social Studies+ Special Ed. Both courses would have me finish with NY Certification and a masters. Both would be fantastic for job prospects in the states-Spec. Ed and TESOL are hot areas right now.

However, I want to teach abroad, preferably in a (well paying) International School.

Which degree would serve me better? Are there enough non-native English speakers at International Schools that they hire TESOL holders? Are there enough Special Ed kids that I'd have more of a leg up with that? Are they both relatively useless in my international job hunt?

Any help/advice is appreciated!!

Thanks

Knappstar

Knappster, welcome to the forum. You posted this and got some replies, including at least one post that questioned how 'introductory' or basic your initial programs would be in a master's program. I answered that if you're just getting started in a specialty, there are still foundational programs in that field.

International schools hire some basic ESL teachers to teach new students who are deficient in English, but I doubt they'd be looking for somebody with a master's in TESOL. Also, I'd bet there are less than twenty special education teachers (as you understand the profession) in Thailand, but there might be a very few inter'al schools looking for one every five years or so.

I'd guess that you continue to search options, and broaden your scope. Teaching social studies, science or math would be in demand in international schools, I would think.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a Canadian guy in my mid 50's living in Thailand on a retirement visa. I do not have a degree although I did complete 3 years of university in a design field many years ago. I also do not have a TEFL certificate. On the plus side, I am white, well groomed and dressed, and have a great smile. I have 6 months teaching experience at a school in Chiang Mai but now live in Bangkok. I enjoy teaching and am constantly told that I am a good teacher. The school in Chiang Mai was very happy with me. I am not interested in doing the fake degrees. I interview well and although I don't have the papers to say I am qualified to be a teacher I have both the ability and passion to be a good teacher. What are my chances of landing something in Bangkok, perhaps even parttime? What might I expect to be paid? And lastly, will a school be willing to hire me (illegally) knowing that I am on a retirement visa and prohibited from working in Thailand?

Gosh darn it, I'd love to help a fellow retired North American, but you're clearly asking us to advise you how to break the law in Thailand. That's against forum rules.

As you know, most teachers in Chiang Mai are illegal. That didn't make it legal.

Since you interview well (and I didn't promise to always hold the sarcasm down :o ), how about saying during the interview, "Hey, I want to break the law, and so do you!! Hire me!!"

Finish out your university degree and then all will be well. :o

Brit, I think the other issue is that he is on an O visa, which from my understanding means that he is not allowed to work. I may be wrong, maybe someone who knows a little more abou that could comment?

Brit, I think the other issue is that he is on an O visa, which from my understanding means that he is not allowed to work. I may be wrong, maybe someone who knows a little more abou that could comment?

You are correct. Work is not allowed while under the classification of retirement.

I agree with Brit. If you finish your degree you can get hired legally with a lot more pay. There are more schools in Bangkok that offer international courses.

Check with the university you attended for 3 years and get your transcripts. See what you can transfer over and make a plan to attend.

I'm attending Payap University in Chiang Mai. One year at the univeristy is going to cost me 110,000 baht. 3 or 4 months of working legally in Bangkok could pay back my 110,000 baht investment.

From a financial viewpoint, going to school could increase your longterm income while giving you time to research the many different schools in Bangkok wanting English teachers.

I agree with Brit. If you finish your degree you can get hired legally with a lot more pay. There are more schools in Bangkok that offer international courses.

Check with the university you attended for 3 years and get your transcripts. See what you can transfer over and make a plan to attend.

I'm attending Payap University in Chiang Mai. One year at the univeristy is going to cost me 110,000 baht. 3 or 4 months of working legally in Bangkok could pay back my 110,000 baht investment.

From a financial viewpoint, going to school could increase your longterm income while giving you time to research the many different schools in Bangkok wanting English teachers.

Like many people here, the o.p should not have a problem finding a job.

His visa can be changed and with the schools help he should be able to get a work permit.

When you are 50 years old and living in Thailand for a while ,it is not practical to return home just to finish your degree.

Good luck in your search.

I'm still a little confused about the WP (work permit). Is that the 'permission to stay' you refer to? Also, what advice do you have for someone wanting to teach in Thailand? I have a 4 year degree (from the USA) in Biology and a PhD in Biochemistry but no TSEL (sp?). I don't have a teaching permit from the US but I have taught labs in graduate school. I would be willing to teach either English or science. I don't speak very much Thai (yet). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm still a little confused about the WP (work permit). Is that the 'permission to stay' you refer to? Also, what advice do you have for someone wanting to teach in Thailand? I have a 4 year degree (from the USA) in Biology and a PhD in Biochemistry but no TSEL (sp?). I don't have a teaching permit from the US but I have taught labs in graduate school. I would be willing to teach either English or science. I don't speak very much Thai (yet). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

If you like to teach English in particular, especially in language schools, you probably need TSEL. On the other hands, if you teach science, you do not need TSEL. My institution is looking for someone like you. If you are interested, please let me know.

As stated already, a TEFL certificate is very helpful if you've never taught English as a foreign language, if that's what you would be doing. But if you're teaching science or math or engineering or nursing as the primary subject, a course in TEFL would be helpful, but less so.

You would need a visa to come here, and then an extension of that visa to stay here. You need a work permit to perform any kind of work here. English teachers are a dime a dozen here, but advanced science teachers are rare birds who can actually earn more like 50,000 baht per month in their first job. Once you've taught more than a year or two (especially something like science), you won't need a TEFL certificate anyway.

Remember: your science professors probably learned all their 'educational techniques' on the job, not in a classroom as a student of education.

dgwooster, due to the way you've titled this post and asked about teaching qualifications, I'm moving this topic into our Teaching in Thailand forum, where you're welcome to look around. Everybody who browses new posts can still see this topic or thread. If you have specific questions about visas and work permits, you can start another topic in the ThaiVisas forum.

I believe also that your qualification..........Phd allows for a Visa under " Expert status "

I would be looking at teacing Science as the subject as opposed to being an "English Teacher"

PB is probably correct..............i would have thought a salary with a minimum of 50,000 baht a month would be the order of the day. I would not accept anything less in your position and would have a good look around all the various institutions before jumping at any first offer.

Good luck.

Edited by stevemiddie

My wild-assed guess that the original poster here would earn about 50K per month is based upon the equally wild speculations on another forum, and upon Bangkok. There, it seems, nobody with self esteem ever accepts a job below 35K even if they're totally unqualified, if you can believe posts on other websites.

I met a guy with a PhD in Biology who landed a 50k+ job to start and 6 months later was making about 100k at another job at an international school. He seemed very happy with teaching Science being a native speaker of English plus having such strong credentials does make you an ideal candidate at some Universities and international schools. I can't see any reason to bother with a TEFL but I'm no expert.

I'm not an expert, but I would certainly be looking for a job teaching in the sciences at an international school if I had a PhD... although I'm sure they probably need more english teachers than science teachers... you have great qualifications.

You would definitely be wanting to market yourself as a Science Teacher. Most of the International Schools do require (want) the teaching qualification, but there are a number of, for lack of a better word, quasi-international schools, as well as bilingual schools which would take you as a subject teacher.

Please be prepared, however, since a lot of the schools are sorely lacking in science equipment, labs, etc.