Questions About Qualifications

I have a three year diploma in Environmental Engineering from a very well respected Canadian College. The fields of study include Civil, Bio, Chem, Physics, Microbio, Ecology, etc.

Personally, I consider myself a fantastic communicator, I am involved in teaching youth sports and have a knack for communicating with young people.

I eventually wish to move to Thailand after my parents are gone but not until.

I was hoping one could advise me on the best course of action.

My dream is to teach however a career as TESL is not my goal.

Please advise if you have any knowledge of the reality of the teaching market.

Regards

Edited by Canadianvisitor

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadianvisitor, you need to read this thread plus all of the pinned threads plus all of the linked threads listed in those threads, plus about the first 5 pages of threads.

To respond to your more specific concern: does your 3 year "diploma" constitute a B.A. or B.S. degree? The distinction is important. If yes, then you probably have many opportunities here with what Scott is calling the "quasi" international schools and can earn quite reasonable money. If no, you will be limited to TEFL or schools that *should* only be doing TEFL (though they may pretend to do EP) for fairly poor wages- unless, of course, you get lucky.

"Steven"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

I'm currently in Thailand, having been here for over three months, up till a week ago as an English Teaching Volunteer at an Orphanage/School near Ayutthaya. I'm here till the end of October and before I go back to visit Mum back in the UK, hope to have work and accommodation sorted so that I don't have to hang around my old home town of Skegness for too long.

Anyway, qualifications wise, what I have includes the PCET (Post Compulsory Certificate in Education - from Huddersfield University); TEFL;

quite a few computer qualifications (as it was computer skills for adults I was teaching for 5 years in the UK), including CLAIT, IBT 2, City and Guilds advanced e-quals and the ECDL qualification.

So, to cut to the chase, what does anybody out there recommend as a good line of attack/approach/enquiry for me to look into teaching work out here? ie, where the best jobs are, possible contacts etc. I was actually intending to teach only English out here, hence the TEFL course I took here last September - and the recent volunteer project I took part in - but does anyone have any idea of the demand for IT Tutors, as this is where my teaching experience has obviously come from, for the most part.

Any advice would be a great help...

Thanks,

leebeeUK

Edited by leebeeUK

I agree that without a Bachelors degree or higher it will be hard for you to get a work permit. I like many others spotted this years ago and went back to my homeland to complete a degree course. However, up country some of the labour offices are more relaxed about this rule, as less foreigners want to work there.

I would suggest that you start your search outside of BKK and avoid universities (as they are more likely to require a degree).

Good Luck. :o

• 3 weeks later...

This thread dates back to 2004, so I'm not sure what the current requirments/recommended

qualifications are? (Tefl?) Anybody know?

Also, any thought about how easy it would be to get a teaching job for somebody

with a M.Sc., from a western country that does not have English as the first language?

I'd be mostly interested in jobs in the Chiang Mai area (though I do have a nice motorcycle

I like to ride around. ;-)

Awk, a master's degree in science, from a Western university, counts for a lot, enough to qualify you as a science teacher in most secondary schools in northern Thailand. It would help to get a TEFL cert, especially if you're not a native speaker. Of course, speaking of Chiang Mai, our forum sponsor here is SEE, a TEFL course provider.

Since 2004, the requirements by the authorities, and the local schools, have gotten tougher, but technically, a TEFL course is not a govt. requirement. A TEFL cert. just makes it easier to get hired. Good luck.

I don't know, but about the only medical cert that might be required (say for a TL or a WP) would probably be like the cert for driving license, easily obtained by non-lepers for 50 baht at almost any clinic. Of course, an international school of the first rank might require a 1,900 baht full physical. Or am I missing something?

No, what I am talking about is like high blood pressure and other ailments of the over 50 crowd. Not being familiar with any of the forms I have no reference to the questions asked. Like you said, there are physicals & then there are physicals. Are they mainly looking for communicable diseases and the like? From some of the postings it could appear that they are trying to use most any method to keep non-nationals out. I appreciate the help. I have had coming back to Thailand as a goal for quite a few years now but I am becoming a bit aprehensive (but not deterred).

My first school gave me a form, in Thai, with boxes to be checked by the person giving the physical. I asked a friend and he said they were for TB, elephantitis, alcoholism and drug addiction. The examiner walked around me and as he did he looked at my eyeballs (drug addiction?); put a stethescope to my chest ,without using his ear plugs, (TB?); felt around my stomach (bloated liver? alcoholism?); felt one ankle (elephantitis?); stamped and signed the form and collected 50baht. This was for my work permit. For my next school I had it done at the clinic at MBK and the woman doctor actually seemed interested in what she was doing. For my present school the doctor asked if it was for a work permit. He asked for 50 baht and signed the form with just a glance at me. Like PB said international schools might want a full physical for their own information. Good luck, good health.

The Thai government has other ways of keeping farang from working here, but the 40 or 50 baht physical is not one of them, as Natarajah just explained. As for the over 50 crowd, I started working at a govt. school at age 60, and don't recall a physical exam (but then I never got a work permit, either). I can still teach circles around the Thai teachers, walking around the classroom. Of course, some schools prefer young'uns.

A big thank-you for the specific information I needed and also for having this forum in the first place. I usually keep up with the goings on overthere through the Thai nationals I have as friends here but they do not have the 'outside' perspective you-all provide. My thanks again!

Hi all...

Well I seem to have the qualifications and experience sewn up:

- Bachelor's Degree in Languages

- CELTA

- 4 years running a TEFL department in France (my current job)

- nearly 20 years life experience in other management level jobs

But I'm 46, and looking for work in a semi-urban rural environment within easy reach of the fun locations of Patong or Pattaya. :o

Any suggestions?

Andy Cap :D

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to teach in Bangkok.

I live in Bangkok now, currently on a tourist visa.

I'm an American with a bachelors degree in physics from a U.S. university and have the original diploma with me. I have done some volunteer level class instruction and tutoring in English in the U.S. but have no paid experience nor a TEFL or any other kind of teaching certificate. I feel I'm able to connect well in communicating and explaining unfamiliar concepts. Most of my professional background is in computer programming so I'd also be open to teaching that, if there's a demand, along with high school level math and physics. I'd also be just as happy teaching English by itself if that's where the need is.

My preference would be to begin as soon as practicable and would very much like to avoid having to first achieve any additional certification if at all possible. What are my chances if I wished to teach at a quality, reputable school such as Wattana Wittaya Academy? If to start off with I'd have to settle for a smaller, private or public school which would be good ones to teach for? Thanks.

Your chances at any of the really picky schools at the moment at this time of year are close to zero, though you may luck out. Even though math and physics are in demand, they would be very leary of your not having any teaching experience at all, anywhere. You'll need to pay some dues first by teaching in the less cushy jobs. Try working in one of the better public EP programs or one of the awful religious private schools for awhile to develop experience and connections (and also to see if living and working here is really for you or not).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

At the risk of being slightly "off topic", I would like to ask some questions.

My "head teacher" has recently informed me that some of my students "didn't like me" & as a result, I would no longer be teaching them in this new semester.

My questions;

1] How is the process of asking students about there like/dislike of a foreign teacher undertaken?

2] Why is it undertaken? (the answer is partially obvious but TIT).

3] What questions are asked?

I have heard of this before at my former school in BKK but I wasn't around long enough to be subject to such a situation. To me, it opens a possibility of "corruption", whereby some students who either don't like English or are poor performers, can rally support in order to "get back" at a teacher or, in their eyes, avert a difficult situation.

BTW, I am a well respected/liked person (or so it seems) at my college. All my colleagues support me & I am involved with them regularly at extracurricular activities. They always invite me, which is in contrast to the previous farang teacher (so I'm told), who chose to remain somewhat disengaged from the college & extracurricular activities.

I would like some input from you guys.

I understand this is hard to answer, but I just want a better picture of my chances to become an english teacher in Thailand.

I am young, just 22 years old.

I am not a native english speaker. I do however speak just as fluent as most nativespeakers. I have had alot of friends from the states and Canada which have given me a more of an american accent.

Sometimes it can take several minutes into a conversation with a native english speaker until they ask me: "Wait a minute, where are you from?" Always makes me smile! :o

That said, I am not really worried about my english skills, rather how much weight they will put into the fact that it is not my motherlanguage.

I dont got a TEFL degree yet, but will take a course asap.

I am willing to work pretty much anywhere in Thailand. As goes for sallery I would be fine with 22-23k/month. I've lived in Thailand for about a year now and know some basic thai.

I am really dedicated to go thru with this and give it my best.

So, what do you think my chances are to become a english teacher in Thailand?

I'm sorry to have to say it, but if you don't got a TEFL degree or certificate yet, and are not a native speaker, and if you make the same mistakes in print that you do on the internet, a sallery of 22K per month (11 months per year), no work permit, visa runs, lots of cheap food, etc., is the best you can 'look forward to.' If it's good enough for the Filipinas who have degrees in English and education, ..........even a European face only takes you so far.

I'm sorry to have to say it, but if you don't got a TEFL degree or certificate yet, and are not a native speaker, and if you make the same mistakes in print that you do on the internet, a sallery of 22K per month (11 months per year), no work permit, visa runs, lots of cheap food, etc., is the best you can 'look forward to.' If it's good enough for the Filipinas who have degrees in English and education, ..........even a European face only takes you so far.

Well, I wrote I dont got a TEFL degree yet. But of course I will have one before I start searching for a job.

Actaully I am not that disapointed with your answer, 22k/month was what I was hoping for. I cant settle for less, but if im using another 5k/month from my savings I know I would be just fine.

Hello

I'm travelling to Thailand next September to study for a TEFL Cert and maybe a TEFL Dip. The problem I have is that I do not have a BA degree, only high school and my college certificate (BTEC Business and Finance) - I have been told by my old tutor that this cert. equals two UK A-levels. I understand that I will not have any problems getting the non-imm B visa from the UK but I am likely to have problems obtaining a WP once in Thailand. I definately will not be attempting to use a fake degree and I am hoping to obtain a WP from the MoE with my current qualifications, TEFL Cert. + Diploma, a smart suit and a smile! :o The main question that I would like to ask is that if I fail to obtain the WP and continue to work as a teacher in Thailand for the length of my visa and then wish to renew the visa for another year when it expires, will I need to show them a WP to be able to do this within Thailand or will I need to leave the country for a period of time before I can apply for another year's visa?

I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts and opinions.

Many thanks

Dave

Jckey, stay in the countryside where most Thais will know less English than you do.

Daveyg,

It's not impossible but I certainly don't recommend trying to work here without a Bachelor's anymore. At best, you'll have the status of exploitable temporary labour (that goes for you, too, Jckey).

And haven't PB and I already said it recently? Don't come to Thailand to teach right now. Don't do it. Just don't do it, if there's any conceivable better way for you to earn a living, especially if you're underqualified and likely to be permanently illegal.

Both of you need to read the pinned threads and all the threads linked within the pinned threads. Good luck.

"Steven"