Pigeon feeding Tha Phae gate

piewarmer

22 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

To claim that feral pigeons are not noisy is stretching it a bit isn't it??

I hate the sound of pigeons (and probably more so than the barking of dogs).

You think pigeons are noisy?

Are you perhaps confusing them with the noisy cooing of the native wild spotted neck doves?

I walked past the gate today, all the don't feed the animals signs are pointing to the road or the wall where they cant be seen.

turned one around the right way, it didn't take long for someone to correct it.

I have nothing better to do.

On 4/30/2018 at 7:11 AM, jacko45k said:

Nope, Mao had them all killed off as they took food from the mouths of the people. He made a mistake there as bugs do it more.

Hello jacko45K,  it amazes me that you have this piece of information on the late Chairman Mao who made the mistake of killing of birds in the whole country because birds ate the paddy(rice) in the field.

Chairman Mao asked universities in all of China to organize large group of students to climb trees to destroy birds' nests and killed of any birds they could get their hands on.( I had seen photos of them climbing up trees in documentary magazines) Then the big problem started because all the bugs without birds to check on their populations multiplied and eat any paddy they found and there were crops failure and famines nationwide. Not many people knew about this fact on Mao ignorance of ecology.

I may be wrong I think many chinese tourists from small town or countryside don't have birds in large numbers that are tame enough to eat from their palms. Kids everywhere love it not only chinese kids. So that is the reason chinese tourists are feeding those god forsaken pigeons at Tae phae gate.

May be one day serious famine in Chiang Mai and those pigeons suddenly become very precious and everyone loves them erh?

15 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

So out of million and millions of humans on the planet, you can only find 1 case of one single human being getting a disease (allergic) from a pigeon?

I don't know a single person who has been bitten by a pigeon tick or mite.  The red blood mite can live on any bird and is more common on chickens.. so you would have to kill all birds to avoid it anyway. and all the chickens in the village too while you are at it. Your study says 'after REPEATED bites... to a PREDISPOSED person the ticks can cause an allergy... this is billions of one chance... less than people that have allergies to peanuts, eggs, and bee stings!  

Another common myth is that pigeons droppings corrode buildings, but these droppings are NEITHER ACIDIC NOR ALKALINE and cannot corrode building materials. But pigeons are a convenient visible target for anyone who would rather pin the blame on them, rather than the sulphur dioxide of car exhausts and acid rain.

Feral pigeons are not as bad as a menace as feral dogs and cats.  They don't bite people or maul children.  They don't case cars, motorbikes.  They are not noisy barking throughout the night.  They don't kill other animals and destroy the natural wildlife like feral cats either. Domestic dogs and cats are more a disease threat the humans.  Why are you not advocating destroying peoples pets too... as they are more dangerous?  

You, like many people, have fallen for misinformation the pest control companies put out to scare people into giving them business (to control pigeons).  

Well you are entitled to your view but to me feral pigeons are a menace, dirty and s**t everywhere. Not sure why you defend them so vigorously and they are in the same bag as feral dogs (much worse I grant you) and cats.

PS  'peoples pets' are NOT feral please do not deflect onto domesticated pets (or pigeons)

Archived