Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!

Formaleins

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And you say you do this every morning. I wish I had that much time, but of course, you did not say how many cats you had to feed . lol

Anywhere from 1 to 5 depending on how hungry they are are where they are. There used to be 9 but the attrition rate for kittens is fairly high.

Most of the scanning is in the background anyway. Just set it up and let it run and take a peek now and again then move to the next one when I am finished.

Quick scans are easy but 4 full scans on the pc plus the back up drive takes forever, usually overnight on a Friday/Saturday but well worth it.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

1 minute ago, tropo said:

That would hurt, losing all that work.

I make a new system image on all my computers once a month. I use Macrium Reflect. I also make a new system image just before doing any major Windows updates in case there's a problem. This way you're only about 30 minutes max away from a working system no matter what goes wrong. Once upon a time, I looked forward to Windows upgrades and updates, but now it's "Yikes - not again!".

I've also learned my lessons and there were so many issues that I stopped counting. But a lot of them were from cracked programs. As you said 30 minutes and I'm back to a functioning system if all goes wrong.

I've got five machines backed up now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Anywhere from 1 to 5 depending on how hungry they are are where they are. There used to be 9 but the attrition rates for kittens is fairly high.

Sorry, I was being facecious about the cats, I didn't really want to know. Did you get them all rabies vaccines?

• Haha 1

Just now, jenny2017 said:

I've also learned my lessons and there were so many issues that I stopped counting. But a lot of them were from cracked programs. As you said 30 minutes and I'm back to a functioning system if all goes wrong.

I've got five machines backed up now. 

Wasn't there a thread last week about the value of using genuine software. And I'll bet most of that cracked software was hardly ever used.....from my own experience. Now i just have basic minimum of programs.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Anywhere from 1 to 5 depending on how hungry they are are where they are. There used to be 9 but the attrition rates for kittens is fairly high.

Too many Pussies are causing too many problems. Or how did that song go?

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Wasn't there a thread last week about the value of using genuine software. And I'll bet most of that cracked software was hardly ever used.....from my own experience. Now i just have basic minimum of programs.

I meant the time before I became a genuine user.......

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

By the time I have done that the computers are booted up and I am doing my daily virus checks with Malware Fighter, SuperAntispyware, Advanced System Care and Smartdefrag.

Surely Defender and Malwarebytes is more than enough for virus and malware protection?  If anyone wants to purchase a Malwarebytes lifetime license for a reasonable price then let me know as it's subscription only now, as you'll probably know.  

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Good boy. Now please, what is KMSPico?

Isn't that the dodgy Windows activation thingy that generally doesn't work.  Purchased my product key on eBay for about 2 quid and it's done.

I don't get all these problems at home in the UK on my Mac, sorry.

Edited by Here It Is

6 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Surely Defender and Malwarebytes is more than enough for virus and malware protection?  If anyone wants to purchase a Malwarebytes lifetime license for a reasonable price then let me know as it's subscription only now, as you'll probably know.  

I swear on Kaspersky, if I do anything online banking, I;m automatically on a protected site. That doesn't work with malware bytes & Co. 

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

I make a new system image on all my computers once a month. I use Macrium Reflect. I also make a new system image just before doing any major Windows updates in case there's a problem. This way you're only about 30 minutes max away from a working system no matter what goes wrong. Once upon a time, I looked forward to Windows upgrades and updates, but now it's "Yikes - not again!".

I notice that Windows 10 has a cumulative update now once a month now.

It did. One of the folders I was working on was 160+Gb of Ebooks and I lost about 4 months solid work editing them. Fortunately I still had the original folder on an external 1Tb HD.

I am now doing it all over again and about 3 hours work a day,5 or 6 days a week will run into about 6 months work. Part of the problem is that many books and authors are combined and I may have 2,3, 4, even 5 copies or more of the same book and in 2 or 3 formats and I am trying to cut it back to 1 book and 1 format only, Mobi and no more Epub, Microsoft and as few PGF files as I can.

My best guess judging by the size of the Mobi file is that I may have as many as 3xx.xxx books and when I finish, perhaps by September, hopefully I will be down to around 1xx,xxx books.

Then I can restart my book and catch up on my Ancestry files.

13 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I swear on Kaspersky, if I do anything online banking, I;m automatically on a protected site. That doesn't work with malware bytes & Co. 

Jenny, really! I don't think Malwarebytes profess to protect you while you do your online banking.  One size doesn't fit all.  You really need to look at VPN for end-to-end encryption and you won't go far wrong with a top quality VPN like ExpressVPN.  It's not cheap but is up there amongst the best.  

Malwarebytes is great for protecting against keyloggers, etc., but you need to double up as you seem to be missing a step.

Edited by Here It Is
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But good for Office.

Nope, MS figured that out. But you can buy a genuine key from a European Ebay seller for a few baht. 

All these crackles only give you a big headache. I've got my MS office 2016 Pro connected to my Microsoft account. 

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I use a free version of CyberGhost and I dumped Kaspersky years ago.

Any VPN is better than none, particularly when using WiFi networks.  Just wouldn't trust doing my most personal online transactions without it now.  I've wisened up over the years.

Just now, Here It Is said:

Any VPN is better than none, particularly when using WiFi networks.  Just wouldn't trust doing my most personal online transactions without it now.  I've wisened up over the years.

Cyber Ghost is a VPN, Kaspersky an AV system first class..

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It did. One of the folders I was working on was 160+Gb of Ebooks and I lost about 4 months solid work editing them. Fortunately I still had the original folder on an external 1Tb HD.

I am now doing it all over again and about 3 hours work a day,5 or 6 days a week will run into about 6 months work. Part of the problem is that many books and authors are combined and I may have 2,3, 4, even 5 copies or more of the same book and in 2 or 3 formats and I am trying to cut it back to 1 book and 1 format only, Mobi and no more Epub, Microsoft and as few PGF files as I can.

My best guess judging by the size of the Mobi file is that I may have as many as 3xx.xxx books and when I finish, perhaps by September, hopefully I will be down to around 1xx,xxx books.

Then I can restart my book and catch up on my Ancestry files.

Eggs and basket spring to mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Nah. That was Dogger Bank on BBC radio shipping forecasts.

I remember it as a kid in the 1950s and it seems as though it is still broadcasting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b0lzbt

That brings back memories.

The BBC Shipping forecast is at ten to one and ten to six every day, preceded by the wonderful melody Sailing By. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Jenny, really! I don't think Malwarebytes profess to protect you while you do your online banking.  One size doesn't fit all.  You really need to look at VPN for end-to-end encryption and you won't go far wrong with a top quality VPN like ExpressVPN.  It's not cheap but is up there amongst the best.  

Malwarebytes is great for protecting against keyloggers, etc., but you need to double up as you seem to be missing a step.

I went to the best Isaan technician watch them doing all wrong school and learned a lot about cracks, Pirates and I'm glad where i am now. Thank you for your advice, may god save you. 

Edited by jenny2017

3 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

That's what I said! 

Are you utilising VPN while you do your online banking?

And you cannot watch BBC iPlayer, or any UK Live TV,  without one. Zen Mate works fine for me (paid for). Imagine going to sleep right now without watching Rachael Riley, or the snooker.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Do not trust Kaspersky.  Up to you.

I don't trust Brits who say that they were stabbed a few months ago with a fishy story about being self employed, just because they didn't get 150 K from a weirdo.