Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!

Formaleins

2 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

That's positive news.

How long did the upgrade take to upload?

Thanks....

About 35 minutes from start to finish, using TOT fibre. The download is quite quick but I think it is a sort of pre installer download and there is a lot more stuff downloading during the verify and install stage. A lot more restarts and reboots compared to the last upgrade too.

Edited by Formaleins
  • Like 1

OP,

You went out and forced the upgrade.....or it just automatically showed up as an update? 

I'm going to assume you went out and forced it using Media Creation Tool or similar since most websites have said it would not until 8 May that it would start showing up as part of the normal Windows updates.  But a forced updated would be available 30 Apr/today.

Two laptops, one home version and the other 10 pro. Update initiated from the regular update page. Very slow connection, initializing and downloading took about an hour. Installing slightly over an hour and  the starting and restarting process took another 35 minutes. These times were about the same for both laptops. No problems, everything works as advertised.

11 hours ago, Pib said:

OP,

You went out and forced the upgrade.....or it just automatically showed up as an update? 

I'm going to assume you went out and forced it using Media Creation Tool or similar since most websites have said it would not until 8 May that it would start showing up as part of the normal Windows updates.  But a forced updated would be available 30 Apr/today.

Insider program - just a temporary fix to get it early. (I did notice that there was a lot of files that needed repair using SFC / scannow after upgrading that were fine before the upgrade, they all seemed to be due to some sort of " ownership duplication" )

and for the very first time ever......scannow actually fixed the files without having to mess with that " Online/DISM"  garbage.

Got it https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (click update now)

Took about 120 minutes total, 200Mb fibre but the kid's antique Dell Optiplex 790 i7 with 4GB, not including making my backup.

As usual it broke the custom resolution on my second monitor and 10GadgetPack needed to repair itself.

We shall see how it goes before doing the work machine.

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Insider program - just a temporary fix to get it early. (I did notice that there was a lot of files that needed repair using SFC / scannow after upgrading that were fine before the upgrade, they all seemed to be due to some sort of " ownership duplication" )

and for the very first time ever......scannow actually fixed the files without having to mess with that " Online/DISM"  garbage.

OK, that explains it.  And based on your "ownership duplication" statement sounds like you were looking at the CBS.log file.....a file where all kinds of scary sounding things are logged as Windows does maintenance on itself.   

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Got it https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (click update now)

Took about 120 minutes total, 200Mb fibre but the kid's antique Dell Optiplex 790 i7 with 4GB, not including making my backup.

As usual it broke the custom resolution on my second monitor and 10GadgetPack needed to repair itself.

We shall see how it goes before doing the work machine.

Below site indicates some ways to kick-start the upgrade...start the upgrade when you didn't want to....only wanted to gather some info.

https://www.askwoody.com/

image.png.eb12603ce05a35c8a431a51b0e8f82a1.png

It is downloading and installing as a normal update now. Clicked check for updates and got it.

Will update this post after I do the restart. Will time it from clicking restart to when the desktop appears again,

This weblink gives a good overview of common problems and fixes to Win 10 1803 some people might experience.   

But please note many of these problems/fixes are very similar for previous Windows versions....it's not like these problems/fixes are unique to ver 1803.

2 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Win 8.1 x64 with auto-updates disabled. Never a problem.

I assume everyone here had win 10 with their computer when they bought it, or did they uograde from win7/win 8.1?

Nope...Win 10 not on my computers when I bought them years ago...they started off with Win 8.0/8.1.   Did the free upgrade from Win 8.X to Win 10.   It was happy day when I got the piece of crap called Win 8 off my computers.   Win 8.X wasn't as big of a failure as Vista but it was close.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is downloading and installing as a normal update now. Clicked check for updates and got it.

Will update this post after I do the restart. Will time it from clicking restart to when the desktop appears again,

It took about 28 minutes from clicking restart to being back on the desktop. A little over an hour in total after the update process was started.

Just got back on this topic where I was at when I was asked if I wanted to restart after opening 5 tabs on Chrome that were closed when I allowed the restart.

No problems at this time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It took about 28 minutes from clicking restart to being back on the desktop. A little over an hour in total after the update process was started.

Just got back on this topic where I was at when I was asked if I wanted to restart after opening 5 tabs on Chrome that were closed when I allowed the restart.

No problems at this time.

I've just started mine, will report back soon. 

Left it to download when I went to bed.

Computer went to sleep and on waking the installation and restarts took 40 minutes.

Windows asks for some new permissions and you get the usual "new features" advisory.

No issues so far, Task View Icon is different as it now controls Timeline and MS dumped a new shortcut for EDGE on my desktop.

37 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

Left it to download when I went to bed.

Computer went to sleep and on waking the installation and restarts took 40 minutes.

Windows asks for some new permissions and you get the usual "new features" advisory.

No issues so far, Task View Icon is different as it now controls Timeline and MS dumped a new shortcut for EDGE on my desktop.

Windows didn't ask me for any permissions.

• Like 1

Did 2 PCs and a laptop this mornings. All machines working great, not really noticed much difference yet, maybe faster boot up, NUC i5 takes 38 seconds. Thank you Mr Gates.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Did 2 PCs and a laptop this mornings. All machines working great, not really noticed much difference yet, maybe faster boot up, NUC i5 takes 38 seconds. Thank you Mr Gates.

I'm at 42 seconds boot time. :stoner:

10 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm at 42 seconds boot time. :stoner:

Everyone goes for a faster boot time, usually dead chuffed to get a few seconds faster. If like me, and possibly most people, I boot up first thing in the morning , go make  a cuppa, and shut down at night. 

• Like 1

Interestingly, the kid's number 2 PC which is identical to number one (it's running an image) with the exception that it's got the Thai language pack installed asked me which Windows image to install.

If the wheel comes off I'll just image across again, they will just have to re-install all their junk.

BE AWARE. The update, as did the last one, turns your SYSTEM RESTORE OFF. Might be a good chance to clean up, get rid of all those disc filling Restore Points and start again. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Interestingly, the kid's number 2 PC which is identical to number one (it's running an image) with the exception that it's got the Thai language pack installed asked me which Windows image to install.

You've possibly got two installations of Windows on it.

Just now, wgdanson said:

You've possibly got two installations of Windows on it.

Both machines are identical, except one has the Thai interface language active, odd. But Microsoft moves in mysterious ways.

And the installation just failed.