Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!

Formaleins

Regarding fast boot-up times, my two Lenovo laptops on Win 10  Pro 1709 (I'm holding off from ver 1803 for at least a few weeks) boot-up in approx 15 seconds with Fast Boot activated. 

One is an i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD and the other an i5 CPU, 8G RAM, 500GB SSD.  Without Fast Boot activated they take about 20 seconds.

However, about a month ago after a Windows update they both started taking a good 30 seconds to shutdown when turning off the computers which I do every night.  And I always watch the complete shutdown to ensure they truly shutdown versus hanging up.  Before they would only take about 10 seconds to shutdown. 

Did various things over several days to see if I could get them back to shutting down faster.  In the end I deactivated Fast Boot....after doing that they now both shutdown in approx 8 seconds and their boot time is around 18 seconds. 

So, in exchange for giving up approx 3 seconds faster boot time I get approx 22 seconds faster shutdown time.   Just something about a Windows update about a month ago that drove this change on my two Lenovo laptops.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Both machines are identical, except one has the Thai interface language active, odd. But Microsoft moves in mysterious ways.

And the installation just failed.

If at first you don't succeed.......................do a clean install. Let the kids re-install most of what is probably junk as you say.

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Both machines are identical, except one has the Thai interface language active, odd. But Microsoft moves in mysterious ways.

Thai interface language? Change the System locale, please and try again. 

View the System Locale settings for Windows
  1. Click Start, then Control Panel.
  2. Click Clock, Language and Region.
  3. Windows 10, Windows 8: Click Region. ...
  4. Click the Administrative tab. ...
  5. Under the Language for non-Unicode programs section, click Change system locale and select the desired language.
  6. Click OK.
Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Thai interface language? Change the System locale, please. 

Switched the interface language to English, awaiting the results (at least I can read the messages easily now).

By the way, this is a fully legal W10 Enterprise edition (Microsoft Action Pack).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Switched the interface language to English, awaiting the results (at least I can read the messages easily now).

And run the update troubleshooter. Update- Security- Troubleshoot. Choose update problems. 

39 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Everyone goes for a faster boot time, usually dead chuffed to get a few seconds faster. If like me, and possibly most people, I boot up first thing in the morning , go make  a cuppa, and shut down at night. 

I usually come downstairs switching lights, fans, kettle and computers on, have a wash and clean my teeth and feed the cats. By the time I have done that the computers are booted up and I am doing my daily virus checks with Malware Fighter, SuperAntispyware, Advanced System Care and Smartdefrag. I never used to bother until I found that my pc had just about slowed to a stop.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

"Something went wrong"

Error code 0x80070490

Time to re-image from the already updated machine.

Guess that error code doesn't even allow you to roll back to ver 1709?    Basically need to reinstall Win 10?  Or does it mean you are still on ver 1709...computer can still run....and the install of 1803 just errored out?   

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I usually come downstairs switching lights, fans, kettle and computers on, have a wash and clean my teeth and feed the cats. By the time I have done that the computers are booted up and I am doing my daily virus checks with Malware Fighter, SuperAntispyware, Advanced System Care and Smartdefrag. I never used to bother until I found that my pc had just about slowed to a stop.

Kinnel, talk about belt and braces, that's suspenders and garters too. Is Defender not enough? And you don't need to defrag every day, once a week is good. Try Glary Utlities, that's good, and FREE.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Regarding fast boot-up times, my two Lenovo laptops on Win 10  Pro 1709 (I'm holding off from ver 1803 for at least a few weeks) boot-up in approx 15 seconds with Fast Boot activated. 

One is an i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD and the other an i5 CPU, 8G RAM, 500GB SSD.  Without Fast Boot activated they take about 20 seconds.

However, about a month ago after a Windows update they both started taking a good 30 seconds to shutdown when turning off the computers which I do every night.  And I always watch the complete shutdown to ensure they truly shutdown versus hanging up.  Before they would only take about 10 seconds to shutdown. 

Did various things over several days to see if I could get them back to shutting down faster.  In the end I deactivated Fast Boot....after doing that they now both shutdown in approx 8 seconds and their boot time is around 18 seconds. 

So, in exchange for giving up approx 3 seconds faster boot time I get approx 22 seconds faster shutdown time.   Just something about a Windows update about a month ago that drove this change on my two Lenovo laptops.

So what will you do with that 25 seconds per day you have extra? lol

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am doing my daily virus checks with Malware Fighter, SuperAntispyware, Advanced System Care and Smartdefrag. I never used to bother until I found that my pc had just about slowed to a stop.

That sounds like a bit of overkill to me. From everything I've read, the Windows Defender suite built into Windows 10 is supposed to be perfectly adequate for virus defense/protection, without needing to add on all kinds of other 3rd party software.

And I thought, maybe I'm wrong, that Windows 10 somewhere has an automatic defragging feature built into the OS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That sounds like a bit of overkill to me. From everything I've read, the Windows Defender suite built into Windows 10 is supposed to be perfectly adequate for virus defense/protection, without needing to add on all kinds of other 3rd party software.

And I thought, maybe I'm wrong, that Windows 10 somewhere has an automatic defragging feature built into the OS.

And you don't defrag an SSD, just optimise it.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

BE AWARE. The update, as did the last one, turns your SYSTEM RESTORE OFF. Might be a good chance to clean up, get rid of all those disc filling Restore Points and start again. 

Thanks, but it seems that almost all, even the smaller updates delete your restore points. No problem when you've got it backed up with Macrium. It's from the UK and a free program. 

P.S. Not just cleaning up old restore points, I've freed up 12 GB junk on one machine with various older W 10 installations.

Stuff that nobody needs. 

Edited by jenny2017

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

Thanks, but it seems that almost all, even the smaller updates delete your restore points. No problem when you've got it backed up with Macrium. It's from the UK and a free program. 

Or Acronis. Plus a Windows back-up, and a USB stick back-up. Are we paranoid or what?

• Haha 1

Just now, wgdanson said:

Or Acronis. Plus a Windows back-up, and a USB stick back-up. Are we paranoid or what?

I've used Acronis, but when you've got a few back ups on one drive, it's so irritating because the drive letters change. Completely different with Macrium. 

I just now clicked the regular Windows Update, and immediately got the download starting to upgrade my 32-bit Win 10 OS to 1803.  Download took about 10 minutes on AIS fiber in BKK.

The actual install is going slower, right now at 10%, but thus far, nothing at all triggered on the surface, all occurring silently in the background.

I've used Acronis, but when you've got a few back ups on one drive, it's so irritating because the drive letters change. Completely different with Macrium. 

Oh, mine don't. All my drives and partitions are backed up to a 1 TB WD USB drive, auto-cleaning turned on, works a treat. But if Macrium is good for you..................some like Singha and some like Chang. Cheers.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

1709 is (actually was) still running fine, it's currently being overwritten by my imaging software (copying from the machine that already updated).

So when this re-image completes Win 10 will be activated since it will sense/know it's now on a different machine?  Or I guess the Windows 10 servers remember the license that was originally registered and just activates.  

Edited by Pib

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Got it https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (click update now)

Took about 120 minutes total, 200Mb fibre but the kid's antique Dell Optiplex 790 i7 with 4GB, not including making my backup.

As usual it broke the custom resolution on my second monitor and 10GadgetPack needed to repair itself.

We shall see how it goes before doing the work machine.

I've had so much drama with Windows 10 updates I have auto updates on hold on one computer and even completely stopped on another. The only way I could update was to reset 2 computers. 

I think the problem goes back to originally upgrading from Windows 7 old computers that were stuffed with too much old software. My problems started with the first Anniversary update and steadily got worse from there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

I've had so much drama with Windows 10 updates I have auto updates on hold on one computer and even completely stopped on another. The only way I could update was to reset 2 computers. 

I think the problem goes back to originally upgrading from Windows 7 old computers that were stuffed with too much old software. My problems started with the first Anniversary update and steadily got worse from there.

I've just updated two 64 bit machines, but experiencing problems with my older DELL 1440 Inspiron with a 32/ 86 OS. 

P.S. Also from W 7 ( a fishy Thai installation that I activated just for that purpose to upgrade to 10. )

But I've bought various W 10 keys off E bay and might even consider to run it on 64 bit. 

Edited by jenny2017

I've just updated two 64 bit machines, but experiencing problems with my older DELL 1440 Inspiron with a 32/ 86 OS. 

I run 4 computers with Windows 10. Some are quite old, but all 64 bit. Resetting Windows makes a big difference. I've done it on two and will do it on the other 2 before I bother with the latest updates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

I run 4 computers with Windows 10. Some are quite old, but all 64 bit. Resetting Windows makes a big difference. I've done it on two and will do it on the other 2 before I bother with the latest updates.

I've had problems to find the right bluetooth driver and finally used one from another company, Dell wasn't able to offer the right one.

That could cause such problems with updates, if not compatible. 

Edited by jenny2017

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Kinnel, talk about belt and braces, that's suspenders and garters too. Is Defender not enough? And you don't need to defrag every day, once a week is good. Try Glary Utlities, that's good, and FREE.

Defender doesn't defrag and in its quick scan mode it is finished in a few minutes. A full scan takes several hours. 

Every Friday I back up the contents of my pc to an external hard drive. I do it because just over a year ago my sp hard drive died and I lost years of work, irreplacable photos, half a book I was writing about my life and a few thousand Ebooks as well as other work.

I don't want to go through that again. This way I only lose perhaps a weeks worth of stuff most of which is easy to replace.

13 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I've had problems to find the right bluetooth driver and finally used one from another company, Dell wasn't able to offer the right one.    

I just purchased a Playable Bluetooth USB for about GBP 11 in the UK and transported it to LOS.  Works fine and obviously very portable.

48 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, after a hard drive crashed.

I might try Macrium once again as I was in a headless chicken mode when I tried it last time.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

A full scan takes several hours. 

And you say you do this every morning. I wish I had that much time, but of course, you did not say how many cats you had to feed . lol

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Defender doesn't defrag and in its quick scan mode it is finished in a few minutes. A full scan takes several hours. 

Every Friday I back up the contents of my pc to an external hard drive. I do it because just over a year ago my sp hard drive died and I lost years of work, irreplacable photos, half a book I was writing about my life and a few thousand Ebooks as well as other work.

I don't want to go through that again. This way I only lose perhaps a weeks worth of stuff most of which is easy to replace.

That would hurt, losing all that work.

I make a new system image on all my computers once a month. I use Macrium Reflect. I also make a new system image just before doing any major Windows updates in case there's a problem. This way you're only about 30 minutes max away from a working system no matter what goes wrong. Once upon a time, I looked forward to Windows upgrades and updates, but now it's "Yikes - not again!".

I notice that Windows 10 has a cumulative update now once a month now.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2