Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!

Formaleins

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Defender doesn't defrag and in its quick scan mode it is finished in a few minutes. A full scan takes several hours. 

Every Friday I back up the contents of my pc to an external hard drive. I do it because just over a year ago my sp hard drive died and I lost years of work, irreplacable photos, half a book I was writing about my life and a few thousand Ebooks as well as other work.

I don't want to go through that again. This way I only lose perhaps a weeks worth of stuff most of which is easy to replace.

Will there also be a movie about Bang Kwang and so on soon? I'll buy a copy that's for sure. 

Windows has a defragent program, but I'm using a better one, which does a boot up defragment, etc..

Edited by jenny2017

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

I don't trust Brits who say that they were stabbed a few months ago with a fishy story about being self employed, just because they didn't get 150 K from a weirdo. 

Wrong thread Jenny.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I don't trust Brits who say that they were stabbed a few months ago with a fishy story about being self employed, just because they didn't get 150 K from a weirdo. 

Eh?  What's that all about?

You didn't answer the question.  Do you trust an antivirus program to protect you while you do your online banking?  Do you double up with a VPN while doing your online banking? 

It's not a difficult question.

15 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I went to the best Isaan technician watch them doing all wrong school and learned a lot about cracks, Pirates and I'm glad where i am now. Thank you for your advice, may god save you. 

If you say so.  I never went to the best Isaan technician and appear to be better protected for my non-appearance.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Eh?  What's that all about?

You didn't answer the question.  Do you trust an antivirus program to protect you while you do your online banking?  Do you double up with a VPN while doing your online banking? 

It's not a difficult question.

I'm using a VPN, plus Kaspersky when I'm doing anything where people could get my hard earned money. 

Just now, jenny2017 said:

I'm using a VPN, plus Kaspersky when I'm doing anything where people could get my hard earned money. 

You didn't mention that earlier but suppose I'll have to take you at your word.  Did your most advanced Isaan technician mention VPN in his detailed summary?  

Just finished the 1803 update on my Windows 10 32-bit desktop machine, which took almost 3 hours from start to finish, and fortunately seems to have emerged mostly unscathed.

One thing I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned: that with the update, MS is largely doing away with the HomeGroup sharing functionality. Got a big popup screen and link to a MS webpage on the subject that the conclusion of my upgrade to 1803.

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft-just-removed-homegroups-from-windows-10/

For my machine, the upgrade really went in 3 parts:

--an initial short period when Windows Update said it was downloading the update.

--then a long period when Windows Update said it was installing the update.

--And finally following a Restart prompt, another almost as long period where Windows said it was configuring the update and the slow moving percentage counter starting at 0 and crawling upwards toward the 100% completion.

I see here's one list of a lot of the changes in the latest update (most of which I doubt I'll ever care about or use, though I did often use the HomeGroup sharing feature now deceased).

https://www.howtogeek.com/340688/whats-coming-in-windows-10s-redstone-4-update-available-march-2018/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, Here It Is said:

Isn't that the dodgy Windows activation thingy that generally doesn't work.  Purchased my product key on eBay for about 2 quid and it's done.

I don't get all these problems at home in the UK on my Mac, sorry.

I've had to do a complete OSX reinstall on my Mac. I couldn't even go back to the latest OSX. I had to go back to the original OSX that came installed on it and once that was installed, I had to upgrade from there. I agree it's less buggy than Windows, but I still prefer Windows for day to day use.

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I meant the time before I became a genuine user.......

Microsoft made me a genuine user with a free upgrade to Windows 10 in 2015.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tropo said:

I've found a way to update my older DELL. It's pretty straightforward when you follow these steps. Please see:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-update-database-corruption/7d4a68e8-cad3-422b-a54b-d5c17e397319

33 minutes ago, tropo said:

Me too, and as I already mentioned even all the Thai computer shop versions, once only activated for the day of the upgrade, all you needed was an activated W 7 Ultimate to get to W 10 Pro. 

But you can still do such an upgrade from W 7 to W 10 for free. Thanks, Bill Gates and team.....

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

BE AWARE. The update, as did the last one, turns your SYSTEM RESTORE OFF. Might be a good chance to clean up, get rid of all those disc filling Restore Points and start again. 

Thanks for that, however, all previous restore points have disappeared.

7 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

Thanks for that, however, all previous restore points have disappeared.

And so System Restore has been turned OFF as well. So unless you do regular back-ups, you need to turn it back on. This is very bad practise from Microsoft IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And so System Restore has been turned OFF as well. So unless you do regular back-ups, you need to turn it back on. This is very bad practise from Microsoft IMO.

It makes at least somehow sense, an older restore point would bring you back to the older version. But Microsoft should tell customers about it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

It makes at least somehow sense, an older restore point would bring you back to the older version. But Microsoft should tell customers about it. 

And you also get a very big folder windows.old in your programs so that you CAN go back if you want to. I think that that folder self destructs in a month. But you can get rid if you do a disk clean up and select options and system files.

• Like 1

did the 1803 update took about 1 hour, no problems with drivers etc. but i have lost my duel boot with android remix os, folder is still there in c drive, but no way of booting.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And you also get a very big folder windows.old in your programs so that you CAN go back if you want to. I think that that folder self destructs in a month. But you can get rid if you do a disk clean up and select options and system files.

I don't think that it self destructs in a month. I had a PC with 13 GB of old Windows installations. But should anything go wrong now, you can easily go back to 1709. 

I've also linked my older Samsung Android with little memory to MS and got a much better appearance than I had before. 

But I'm not using MS Office, doesn't work well with a low memory, but using Skype works well now. 

Edited by jenny2017

41 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

But should anything go wrong now, you can easily go back to 1709

I thought you said you were backing your C Drive up with Macrium, so why do you need either system restore or windows old. Free up some space.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

I thought you said you were backing your C Drive up with Macrium, so why do you need either system restore or windows old. Free up some space.

You have the option to go back to 1708, which seems to be faster than Macrium.

Anyway, I've got all four backed up and if the shit hits the fan, it won't stink. Macrium, the British Superprogram. 

I've got enough space on drive C's that a few GB don't bother me now. 

19 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Memories growing up without a TV?

More like memories of growing up without electricity. Quite a few of the houses and bungalows on the road where I lived had no electricity buy gas lighting and gas fires as well as coal and coke fires. They were built in the 1930's and even the street lights was gas into the 1960's.

It was no big deal and I remember going down to the garage at the bottom of the road to get the accumulators for the radio recharged.

I paid for the electricity to be put in in 1064 but my Mum never had or wanted a fridge or a TV and she died in 1973.

They were the good old days.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Und ich am using der Acronis, das German program. Ja!

18 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Und ich benutze Acronis, das deutsche Programm. Nein? Ja! 

Vorsprung Durch Technik

• Haha 1

Just a quick heads up for anyone using a finger scanner on their laptops; this was my experience, other's experiences may differ.

Notebook is a Lenovo Yoga 520, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD (additional 2GB HDD added), pre-installed W10 Home.

Initiated the upgrade to 1803 this morning and it took 1 hour to download, prepare, install & configure. I was initially impressed with this until i tried to login using the fingerprint scanner. Records of this were gone (fair enough) but it turns out that the PIN number (fingerprint backup) was gone also. Because i had been using the finger login method, i had forgotten what my original password to the machine was. My bad, I hold my hand up to that! I later found the password, but thought i was going to have to reset the password (using 3rd party software) to gain access, and so the fun began.

It appears that these (W10 pre-installed) machines do not support legacy with the only option as UEFI, which will not support booting of either a thumb drive or (portable) CD/DVD module. Don't like these restrictions much myself.

So just a word of warning to those updating, don't forget your password if usually logging in with the fingerprint! Booting of external media isn't that easy with some (not all) of the newer machines if you need to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I don't think that it self destructs in a month. I had a PC with 13 GB of old Windows installations. But should anything go wrong now, you can easily go back to 1709. 

I've also linked my older Samsung Android with little memory to MS and got a much better appearance than I had before. 

But I'm not using MS Office, doesn't work well with a low memory, but using Skype works well now. 

From my experience it does self destruct in 30 day (or less) but does not "fully" self-destruct.  It may still leave a windows.old folder which has a few subfolders and files in it...not many megabytes at all left behind.  Kinda like the facade of a building but not a whole building. 

So, since it leaves the Windows.old folder, which is close to empty, a person can easily think all the old windows files are still there if just looking and seeing a Windows.old folder...however, the great, great majority of the old Windows installation has been deleted after 30 days (or less in some cases....I heard as low as 10 days sometimes).  

To get rid of the remaining/facade windows.old folder run the Windows disk cleanup and select deleted old installations of Windows.

• Like 1