Stallions (??) Makina 250

I quite like the look of it not 250cc though, 223cc
and there seems a lot of space around engine to frame they could easily squeeze a 500cc in there.

How many Baht are they wanting ?

6 minutes ago, johng said:

I quite like the look of it not 250cc though, 223cc
and there seems a lot of space around engine to frame they could easily squeeze a 500cc in there.

How many Baht are they wanting ?

Price? No idea.

Same thoughts as you - a bigger engine would be nice.

As for 250/223 - my '78 Ducati 900 SS was actually 864cc. Happens all the time.

• Like 1

All motorbike manufacturers are short-selling their customers when it comes to cc ...(imagine if it was weight of your cornflakes or chocolate bar, we would set the factory on fire for a few grams short)... lol

There is a Stallion 400cc which I have tried in the shop sitting on and it is way more solid and comfy than their other lower cc models they had there, totally in a different league (sold in UK as Mash 400, rave reviews) - EFi and dual exhaust and so on - only missing ABS.... (since my little fall in the rain, I now think a lot about ABS ... :shock1:, not sure how much it helps in that situation though...!?)

Looking at the second picture, seems to have ABS - I think I can see a sensor on the front wheel and a ring on the rear. Just as well because a 135 kg bike with twin front discs and radial calipers would seem way overbraked and otherwise prone to wheel lock-ups unless used very carefully in adverse conditions.

A 160 section radial rear tyre is a bit OTT for a 250 (OK, 223). Plus the tyres would have to be fitted with tubes on conventional spoked wheels. Such a large section won't help the handling.

Just found more photos on another page ( http://www.motorival.com/stallions-centaur-makina-150-250-launch/ in Thai) and it definitely has ABS. Price quoted as 79,900฿. Still seems to have a carb. rather than FI - personally, if they still fit a carb., I wish they'd fit conventional slide carbs. rather than CV.  

Also seems to be a 150 bike, too.

My CRF runs the exact same tire sizes - in radials - on CB500X wheels

Use it 95% on the road, and have found no decreased flick-ability.

OTT - yes. But looks good.

That being said will probably go with a 140 rear when this one bites the bullet

Personally I think if MotoGP riders can flick a bike with 190 rear tire that spins quite fast from side to side like it's nothing, then a 160 on a 223cc cafe racer should be just fine. The 180 rear on my Scrambler doesn't seem to be any problem either. There are lots of other things that affect handling much more.

About the bike: I think it looks actually pretty decent. I haven't ridden one but the 250 V-Twin from the Stallions Buccaneer might be a nicer fit for this bike.

9 hours ago, MartinL said:

Looking at the second picture, seems to have ABS - I think I can see a sensor on the front wheel and a ring on the rear. Just as well because a 135 kg bike with twin front discs and radial calipers would seem way overbraked and otherwise prone to wheel lock-ups unless used very carefully in adverse conditions.

A 160 section radial rear tyre is a bit OTT for a 250 (OK, 223). Plus the tyres would have to be fitted with tubes on conventional spoked wheels. Such a large section won't help the handling.

Just found more photos on another page ( http://www.motorival.com/stallions-centaur-makina-150-250-launch/ in Thai) and it definitely has ABS. Price quoted as 79,900฿. Still seems to have a carb. rather than FI - personally, if they still fit a carb., I wish they'd fit conventional slide carbs. rather than CV.  

Also seems to be a 150 bike, too.

Do you see anywhere that mentions ABS in the specs., I see the sensor but maybe they are just using a disk from another manufacturer that has that but not actually putting the ABS .... !? (I wish they would start putting ABS, specially on 400cc would be great....).

By the way, is it possible to add ABS to 400cc with some after-market stuff ...!?

59 minutes ago, Agusts said:

(I wish they would start putting ABS, specially on 400cc would be great....)

The 400s in Europe - maybe other markets too - have ABS that can be switched on or off although on some models it only mentions front ABS. It'll probably come to Thailand before too long. 

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

The 400s in Europe - maybe other markets too - have ABS that can be switched on or off although on some models it only mentions front ABS. It'll probably come to Thailand before too long. 

Front has a ABS/disc brake .ABS on drum rear is difficult. Augusts , The cost of retro-fitting after market ABS would be too high. In England , there is a Von - Dutch and a TT 40 version with small top fairing cowl.

• Like 1

I passed by 88 shop in Phuket Town today, they no longer have Stallion 400cc in the shop, I think they go very quickly...

But they had loads of these:

http://www.gpxthailand.com/GPX-Legend-Gentleman     200cc

On the same website, this new version also looks very similar to this Makina :

http://www.gpxthailand.com/GPX-Legend-200-new

I am sure they share a lot of similar Chinese parts that they bring in and put together differently under different names and sell here...

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

I have had a Stallions 400 for over a year now and love it. Bargain at 116,000 baht.

How tall are you ? I am 6 foot in my socks, 35 inch inseam. Do you find it cramped, pegs too close to the seat and bars too close to everything ?

47 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

How tall are you ? I am 6 foot in my socks, 35 inch inseam. Do you find it cramped, pegs too close to the seat and bars too close to everything ?

I am 6'2" and ride all day without a problem. I am also 70 years old.

I think there is a few editions of 400cc, there is Scrambler, CT400 and standard (their seats a bit different too), make sure you sit on the one you want to buy first, bikes feel so different to different people....(unlike cars).