Best bank account for a farang

Hi guys.

Does anyone have any info regarding Thai bank accounts? I will be on a tourist visa for 90 days (60+30), and need to open a bank account to deposit 500,000 Baht for how ever many months I am required to.

Does anyone have any up to date info or advice about which banks are happy to open a bank account with ATM card for a farang from UK?

I will only have passport, driving license etc but could also do joint account.

I need to deposit the money for visa purposes and get an ATM card to stop getting these outrageous ATM fees with my UK bank card.

Thanks in advance.

53 minutes ago, NorfolkBoy said:

After banking with Bangkok Bank for over 18 years I have recently moved to Krungsri Bank. My reason ? Bangkok Bank now longer provide a VIsa debit card as an ATM card. Their new Union pay card no longer works as an ATM card with other Thai Banks and cannot be used as a debit card for internet purchases. I think they have shot themselves in the foot over this Krungsri have  a debit Visa card and internet banking

The Union pay card works fine with any bank ATM. 

1 hour ago, NorfolkBoy said:

After banking with Bangkok Bank for over 18 years I have recently moved to Krungsri Bank. My reason ? Bangkok Bank now longer provide a VIsa debit card as an ATM card. Their new Union pay card no longer works as an ATM card with other Thai Banks and cannot be used as a debit card for internet purchases. I think they have shot themselves in the foot over this Krungsri have  a debit Visa card and internet banking

Is there no other way? ATM keeps telling me that there's  a new free card, but I keep my Visa card from Bangkok bank.

You can't use the new card for online shopping, nor for other Thai banks' ATM's?

That's a shame. 

Edited by jenny2017

I will stand corrected but I am pretty sure that a tourist visa won't cut it for opening an account here. I had a friend who had heaps of problems trying to get it sorted. Once he had his nonim O visa it was all simple. 

Keep in mind:

You need to be clear that you want to open a Savings account.

They will NOT open a chequing account for you unless you have a 1 year (business) visa and a work permit.

They will not give you internet banking unless you have a 1 year visa (i.e. Retirement or Marriage, etc).

You will need a verifiable address, not just a hotel room. Whenever I have opened an account I've had to get a Certificate of Residence from Immigration. For that you need to have an actual address. I've used copies of utility bills (internet, electricity, cable) in the past as proof (for Immigration) of my address. A current rental agreement/lease could be used as well. The first time I went to Immigration, I took my landlady who brought her House Book and they made a copy of that and her ID card.

I've opened accounts when I've just had a 30 day stamp in my passport and was renting a little Thai-style apartment. I mostly use Bangkok Bank because I've been happy with their service over the years.

With the Savings Account you get an ATM card and they'll give you the SWIFT code information so you can wire money to the account when you are back home. I've used their ATM card in different countries (Dubai, Bahrain, Canada) and never had a problem with it. I did lose my ATM card a couple months ago while travelling and I called the bank and they cancelled it immediately (and told me what my balance was so I could tell if money was missing from my account). When I got back I went to my local branch and got a new ATM card with no hassles (other than coming up with a new PIN number).

So, Certificate of Residence and Passport. Go to an actual bank branch (it seems that Bangkok Bank has been the easiest for most people), not some little kiosk in a mall or Exchange Booth outside of a bank. Tell them you'd like to open a Savings account. Deposit some money. Get the SWIFT code. Have a nice day.

(Note: Thai banks do not use IBAN but most Western banks should be able to use the SWIFT code anyways.)

Also, don't wait until the day before you fly out to do all that. My dad was turned down when he tried to open an account because he had less than a week left on his 30 day stamp. He came back 6 weeks later and they opened the account with no problems at all.

KTB I have been here 7 years and when you need A notarization of your account they will do it the same day, When I first had BKK Bank it took up to 3 days. You can bank online with KTB also! KTB was suggested by the person at the Immigration Office, thanks to him, no 3 day wait.

Seems many stories about funds disapearing from most of them.. Locals tell me SCB better in that regard for some reason..

BKK bank seems have better FX rates..

Reminder... move your currency here then exchange.. too many sharks back home..

also build up relationship as you can haggle when you are a busy member..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaikahuna said:

There is no BEST bank in this country. They are all about the same, equally inefficient. Your best luck in opening an account without a long term visa will be either Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn in my opinion.

We are each entitled to our opinions.  Personally I have had much better experiences here than I ever did in Australia, where, among many other faults, they still seem incapable of doing instant transfers between 'in country' accounts, something that has been available in Thailand, the UK and most likely many other countries, for years.

In response to the OP's question, I have a savings accounts with Kasikorn and Krungsri, both provide good Internet banking and Visa Debit ATM cards.  I also make use of the text message service offered by Kasikorn, which is my main, day to day account.  I think it costs 200 baht a year, but it is a great idea, as I am notified of EVERY transaction on my account by text message.  Often, when I use the ATM, the message comes through before the money has come out.  Excellent.  Not sure if Krungsri provides this, because I don't need it for that account, but they probably do.

When I opened my accounts I had to provide a copy of the photo page of my passport, my Non-Immi 'O' visa, since extended for the purposes of retirement, and a copy of my rental agreement.  No letter from immigration.  Last week I assisted a friend to open a Kasikorn account and that was also what he had to provide, together with a 400 baht account opening fee and a minimum 10000 baht opening deposit, although he can draw on that, it does not have to be maintained.  The latter two matters may be peculiar to that branch of course, but he encountered no issues whatsoever and they were most helpful.

I'm afraid I cannot advise about what to do without proof of residence, but I do have another friend who was renting a room, short term, at a condo and they wrote him a letter saying he was staying there, without being specific about dates and Kasikorn were happy with that.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, kuzie57 said:

I will stand corrected but I am pretty sure that a tourist visa won't cut it for opening an account here. I had a friend who had heaps of problems trying to get it sorted. Once he had his nonim O visa it was all simple. 

Yes you are so right best thing for you to do is do like my friend take out a a single payment with your bank back in uk 10 pounds a month it is a insurance as well while you are here you can take any amount from atm without any deductions from uk only thai !

TMB:

• Doesn't play the "region" game AT ALL, on all accounts. You can withdraw and deposit anywhere in the country and not pay silly "out of region" fees.
  • Cheapest debit card (Visa) at 200 baht for 5 years, no annual fee.
  • Highest interest on savings account ("No-fixed") at 1.6%.
  • Immediate self-activation of mobile/internet banking via ATM. Bangkok Bank, for example, insists on sending login ID via post, 1980s style!
  • No fees on PromptPay.

I've done my research and had experience with plenty of banks here, and I don't know of any that offer better terms, overall.

6 minutes ago, moana said:

TMB:

• Doesn't play the "region" game AT ALL, on all accounts. You can withdraw and deposit anywhere in the country and not pay silly "out of region" fees.
  • Immediate self-activation of mobile/internet banking via ATM. Bangkok Bank, for example, insists on sending login ID via post, 1980s style!
  • No fees on PromptPay.

I've done my research and had experience with plenty of banks here, and I don't know of any that offer better terms, overall.

I think it's impossible to open an account with TMB while on a tourist visa

@OP : You don't have much choice, you take the bank/branch that let's you open an account :P

Edited by jackdd

" I will be on a tourist visa for 90 days (60+30), and need to open a bank account to deposit 500,000 Baht for how ever many months I am required to. "

Am I reading this correctly? You need a bank account to deposit the B500k required for your 60 day tourist visa? Since when is the B500k required?

After the HSBC pulled their retail operations out of BKK several years ago, I researched all the banks operating in T’land and opted for United Overseas Bank (UOB).

UOB also have branches throughout SE Asia in case you’re heading to neighboring countries. Staff seam to be a tad more switched-on vs the “Yellow” Bank, the “Purple” Bank, the “Green” Bank....etc

Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) might also be another option for you to research. I know they have branches in BKK, but not in Phuket where I live, otherwise I probably would have gone with them for my Thai banking.

Something else to consider, if you set-up a Standard Chartered Account overseas in the UK, wire transfer fees will be much less, if any. It’ll also be easier for you to set-up a Thai bank account if you’re already a SCB client......

If you are introduced by somebody living in Thailand already in a banking relationship with the bank, no issue at all to open an account,  even on a visa exempt (at BB)

But of course as this is Thailand, things can change drastically from one branch to another, within the same bank network.

Bangkok Bank seems a good option, no issues with sending money from abroad, clear internet banking website in english, gives a feeling of safety with their internet banking procedures on each log-in etc.

But of course, as with anything in Thailand, don't put in any more money then what you can afford to loose...should it be for the real estate purchase or the rent, the bank account........... or with women (either your girlfriends, live-ins or ...STimes !!) :whistling:

Edited by observer90210

5 hours ago, NorfolkBoy said:

Kasikorn Bank Debit card can be used for both ATM withdrawals and on line purchases.

3 hours ago, kuzie57 said:

Just got this today on a tourist visa...

3F0C00A0-7873-42AD-BB9E-B33DE3739DD2.jpeg

2 hours ago, moana said:

TMB:

• No fees on PromptPay.

My mobile/internet banking was set up at the desk when I opened my account today at Bangkok Bank.

If you’re American and rent a place, this is what you need to get notarized at the embassy...  The embassy didn’t even look at my lease contract and neither did the bank. Just have to state that the purpose of the affidavit is to “show proof of address in order to open bank account”

989A956B-C400-494A-8769-A3173B3FDC77.jpeg

Edited by Airalee

there was a long thread on this about a month ago (link below).  i would say the summary of the thread was try bangkok bank, emporium, siam paragon, or silom (main) branch.  also, UOB was mentioned but not clear on which branch.  it is difficult to get online banking w/o a long term visa (tourist visa would not qualify) so i wouldn't get my expectations up on that.

2 minutes ago, buick said:

there was a long thread on this about a month ago (link below).  i would say the summary of the thread was try bangkok bank, emporium, siam paragon, or silom (main) branch.  also, UOB was mentioned but not clear on which branch.  it is difficult to get online banking w/o a long term visa (tourist visa would not qualify) so i wouldn't get my expectations up on that.

I got online banking today at Bangkok Bank (Emquartier) on my tourist visa