Leave or not leave?...

" at the Immigration in Lamphun they said to me that they will cancel my Visa also and I have to leave Thailand (at the same date - 25 April): actually I just got the information 15 min ago (about the cancellation date of my WP...) "

Something strange here. I would like to know who gave the information about the cancellation on the 25th to whom and when did he/she give this information?

15 hours ago, markaoffy said:

He can have a visa and a workpermit! A visa cannot be cancelled by an employer. It will have an expiry date

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

He received the visa/ extension of stay from his employer because he was working.

Once the workpermit is cancelled, the visa becomes invalid. 

38 minutes ago, stevenl said:

" at the Immigration in Lamphun they said to me that they will cancel my Visa also and I have to leave Thailand (at the same date - 25 April): actually I just got the information 15 min ago (about the cancellation date of my WP...) "

Something strange here. I would like to know who gave the information about the cancellation on the 25th to whom and when did he/she give this information?

Perhaps somebody from the Immigration in Lamphun? 

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

He received the visa/ extension of stay from his employer because he was working.

I don't think that is right.  The extension based on work would be cancelled but I am pretty sure the non-B can be used to apply for an alternative extension if the OP satisfies the requirements for whatever extension he complies with

Just now, timewilltell said:

I don't think that is right.  The extension based on work would be cancelled but I am pretty sure the non-B can be used to apply for an alternative extension if the OP satisfies the requirements for whatever extension he complies with

As far as I know, he'd need new paperwork, because a two year visa/extension of stay was issued for his former job.

His last day at work was also the day when his visa to stay became invalid. 

If he'd like to leave the country, the Immigration could send him to his ex- employer to get a letter when his last day was, plus overstay. 

He'd have to start over again......

3 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

If he has a multiple entry unexpired visa, it is still valid to enter Thailand. He can go out and in. 

Edited by onera1961

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

If he has a multiple entry visa, it is still valid to enter Thailand

I wouldn't bet on that. The re entry permit shows multiple, but it's a two year extension and it was issued because the OP worked for somebody.

If the work permit is cancelled, it might cause huge problems, including overstay.

I haven't seen other two year visas before, so it would be good to find out how that ends. 

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

If the work permit is cancelled, it might cause huge problems, including overstay.

If he has a multiple entry unexpired visa, he can go out of the country and enter immediately. 

36 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

It's gone long time ago for non BOI companies.

Do you have a source that they taken that away for BOI companies?

I think he is saying the 7 days since cancellation are up already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

I meant the 7 days are gone for the OP already as the original extension stopped at 25th 

The permit to stay doesn’t end until immigrantion end it.

It should be ended on the day the employment ends (WP end date is irrelevant), but it will be up to immigration what date they choose use. If they back date the cancellation to the date employment ended, they could charge for overstay. Given the nature of the extension I would expect them not to back date the cancellation, and give him 7 days to leave.

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

No visa is invalidated when a WP is cancelled. A permit to stay based on working should be cancelled on the last day of employment. 

• Like 1

Always so much confusion about visa, permission to stay and work permits.

Just think of it like this:

a VISA is only used TO ENTER Thailand

A permission to stay is only used to STAY in Thailand.

An EXTENSION to stay is only used to EXTEND your stay in Thailand.

A WORKPERMIT is only to allow you to WORK in Thailand.

A RE-ENTRY permit allows you to enter Thailand without a valid visa and your permission to stay is used instead.

Now that was not to difficult.

So when your work is finished (job done, fired, stopped etc) then your workpermit is cancelled. So you are not allowed to work anymore.

IF the permission to stay was based on that then that also is cancelled.

The VISA however stays valid until expire date.

It is all connected, but ...... they are also all separate.

The OP showed a RE-Entry permit that allows multiple re entries and a permission to stay.

There is no picture of the VISA. As there is a RE-ENTRY permit given based on the permission of stay i would say that the VISA used to enter the country had only one entry. But that is not sure as a RE-ENTRY permit is also issued to keep the permission of stay valid.

So check your VISA. If it is expired or only allowed a single entry then get to an embassy (Savannakhet is OK) to get a new VISA. What kind depends how old you are (50+ can also have retirement visa) or married with a Thai (marriage visa). Otherwise a tourist visa. Or just go back home.

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

The permit to stay doesn’t end until immigrantion end it.

It should be ended on the day the employment ends (WP end date is irrelevant), but it will be up to immigration what date they choose use. If they back date the cancellation to the date employment ended, they could charge for overstay. Given the nature of the extension I would expect them not to back date the cancellation, and give him 7 days to leave.

Expecting doesn't do the job, he should get an valid visa asap.

Updates & Thanks

Thanks to all for the brainstorming.

Here the full story: 

Seen that I have been fired on 25 April, and my permission to stay was connected to the WP, on 27 April I have been at the Immigration with the HR manager of the company: there, a zealous officer told us that he cant cancel the stay if we don't show an official document from some strange office (IEAT) for the final confirmation of my WP cancellation. For some strange reason I received that document on yesterday: then, at the immigration they told me that I was already in overstay and actually at risk to go in prison bla bla. So, today I had to fly in Malaysia and Im coming back right now with my fresh 30 days of stay permission (because they told me that after 7 day I can't anymore just pass a border but I have to go away and come back by flights!).

Now, I don't want comment those facts further, seen that after 12 years in Thailand I should know where I am living....