Potential problems with having a house built May to September?

Hello everyone,

I am wondering of any potential problems of having a house built between May to September.  Any information and insight will be great!

I am also currently looking for a well recommended trustworthy builder that I would not have to check everything they do to make sure they are doing the job right that would come work in Hang Dong, Chiang Mai. 

Interested also.

I guess the builders would prefer not being in the blazing sun over a bit of wet, but yes there could be some things to watch out for in rainy season.

We're not fair from u either, just east of the river near road from HD.

We had a chalet built which will be added to for the main house.....same roof line with an L.

One thing that's occurred to me the local builders who did the chalet did a perfectly sound job.....worked hard and seemed capable....but it was the finishing touches which weren't right or just not so neat. Same with the garden walls they just did.

One of those slightly tatty things was the roof (metal sheet) namely the boarding underneath.

It has occurred to me to have the roof done as a separate contract by a dedicated roofing company to ensure this very visible thing is properly done.

If it works out OK for price coordinating this with the builder will need some thought.

Rain can and will impede most of the initial projects (like footings) - or maybe your area is less affected?  A "trustworthy builder" seems an oxymoron to me.  Whatever.  You really do need to be involved to some extent or prepared to live with the consequences.

• Like 2

One of the biggest potential problems for Farlangs building a house in Thailand, if paying for the land also, is how do you get around the legalities of foreign land ownership.

A friend recently had a lot of problems when his Thai wife died.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 10:54 AM, bankruatsteve said:

Rain can and will impede most of the initial projects (like footings) - or maybe your area is less affected?  A "trustworthy builder" seems an oxymoron to me.  Whatever.  You really do need to be involved to some extent or prepared to live with the consequences.

We built March to September, and I was mostly in Ireland at the time, just coming for a week or so every couple of months, but my wife was here and most things were satisfactory. After 20 years we are finding several problems that could have been avoided if we were aware of them.

• Like 1

We had our house built june to september fairly lucky with the weather.Builder was pretty good to be fair but finishings standard not the same as uk.I stayed on site everyday and got all the materials delivered or collected by myself, that way you can get the quality you require.

hello,

I will only build a small bungalow, and I want to cover it with a modern sail shade, do you think that it can help if I install the sail first ?

and how much it will cost ? where to buy around Pattaya ?

than you.

shade1-1024x764.jpg

hello,
I will only build a small bungalow, and I want to cover it with a modern sail shade, do you think that it can help if I install the sail first ?
and how much it will cost ? where to buy around Pattaya ?
than you.
shade1-1024x764.jpg.9af721fa92ea36c5ef2a157117f77ee4.jpg

I’ll be interested in the cost elements, I would like to see a shade or shades Like this next to the pool in the condo building I own in.
Canvas is very economical… It would have to be sewn in several strips of course..... but I think it would pick up the dirt or stains. I have had balcony curtains made from a artificial material like sail cloth it has worn and lasted very well indeed....Naturally more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/3/2018 at 4:54 AM, cheeryble said:

One of those slightly tatty things was the roof (metal sheet) namely the boarding underneath.

It has occurred to me to have the roof done as a separate contract by a dedicated roofing company to ensure this very visible thing is properly done.

Of interest for OP:

I had my roof done by a separate contractor, actually SCG (Cement Thai) the manufacturer of roof tiles, and it was not more expensive than the specified quote I got from my main building contractor – actually slightly cheaper – however included a lot more materials and work for rain protection, and heat insulation. On top I've got a 5-year warranty, properly worth more from a major company like SCG, than from a local building constructor, which one cannot find after two years, when the roof is leaking.

Most local Home Mart building material markets, they are under the SCG hat, will have a "Roof Center" where they will make detailed computer drawings of the roof construction based on the chosen roof tile, and calculate detailed quotes. SCG also makes the steel construction, and they use galvanized steel that gives far superior rust-protection than paint. A pro team from SCG will come and make the roof during the agreed term.

I spent a little extra by choosing "Neustile" tiles instead of a little cheaper and more traditional looking roof tile, as Neustile gives slightly better rain protection (Photo of Neustile roofs here). Work, steel etc. is the same, so the difference in total cost is quite small.

Here's a link for SCG Roof Expert (unfortunately in Thai, but use for example Google Chrome and the translation function).

• Like 2

Where I live, recently, an American living in the area went in immigration to extend his retirement visa. Immigration refused his extension until he can show how he obtained the house that sits on the 2 rai of land where he and his Thai wife are living.

The police are really getting tough on this now and I suggest, before throwing loads of money into buying land and building houses, is to get some good legal advice first.

• Confused 1

On 5/3/2018 at 4:32 AM, zeekgarcia said:

I am wondering of any potential problems of having a house built between May to September.  Any information and insight will be great!

The seasons, mainly rain that matters, depends of where one live – I live in the South, so May to September would be perfect for me, however in Chiang Mai you may hit rain.

For foundation (feet for posts) and basic cement construction it's best when not raining, however should be shaded from sun (heat) and watered for cracks. Using water proof cement mix – that's about 200-400 baht extra per cubic meter when delivered ready mixed by cement truck from the major suppliers – is worth investing in, as it prevents most cracks and improve the quality of your structure. Remember to have your building constructor watering all cement decks, and beams, to prevent cracks, and have all posts wrapped in film.

Often the roof construction is made when the the basic cement structure has been erected; i.e. posts, beams, and decks. The roof will protect both workers, and additional work, from both some of the sun damages, and rain damages (but not all). Using little water proof protection in plaster (lender) cement mix is great, as it prevents most, if not all, cracks, so additional crack filling, that often remain visible even after finished paint job, is avoided. Toa has good and affordable products for this.

When I had my house build, it all together took 1½ year from first (lucky) post to final decoration, so I was through both rain and monsoon season, the latter quite important when building beach front. We had planned the foundation and basic cement construction outside the raining season – which is mainly from October to mid January, but begin slightly in April, where I live – however had a few days with heavy rain during concrete work. It made some marks in cement deck surface, but is actually healthy as the cement don't dry out (curing is a chemical process, drying can result in cracks). It would avoid rain when making footings and lower posts, whilst some water if fine when to stabilize when foundation is covered with earth.

Remember to attend the "lucky post" ceremony – and pour the first bucket of cement into the post foundation – it's very important for the building constructor, and the workers, and your attendance may make the workers care more for building you a good house...:wink:

wDSC02308_lucky-post.jpg.579e419faf87ccce8504abab5c6e7cdc.jpg

wDSC02323_cement-lucky-post.jpg.258a5e4f4c9d5de7d77b39253c1072c4.jpg

Wish you good luck with your house project...:smile:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Where I live, recently, an American living in the area went in immigration to extend his retirement visa. Immigration refused his extension until he can show how he obtained the house that sits on the 2 rai of land where he and his Thai wife are living.

The police are really getting tough on this now and I suggest, before throwing loads of money into buying land and building houses, is to get some good legal advice first.

That doesn't make sense as you do not have to own a house to get an extension. You could be renting. His wife should have a house book with her name in it which is good enough proof of residency. I have done 11 extensions on my retirement visa with my wife's house book and her ID card as proof of residency.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

That doesn't make sense as you do not have to own a house to get an extension. You could be renting. His wife should have a house book with her name in it which is good enough proof of residency. I have done 11 extensions on my retirement visa with my wife's house book and her ID card as proof of residency.

Well, I hope your run of good luck continues and that the next time you go for your retirement extension, the officer has had a good day and doesn`t decide to delve into your affairs further. Fingers crossed, right?

Edited by cyberfarang
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Of interest for OP:

I had my roof done by a separate contractor, actually SCG (Cement Thai) the manufacturer of roof tiles, and it was not more expensive than the specified quote I got from my main building contractor – actually slightly cheaper – however included a lot more materials and work for rain protection, and heat insulation. On top I've got a 5-year warranty, properly worth more from a major company like SCG, than from a local building constructor, which one cannot find after two years, when the roof is leaking.

Most local Home Mart building material markets, they are under the SCG hat, will have a "Roof Center" where they will make detailed computer drawings of the roof construction based on the chosen roof tile, and calculate detailed quotes. SCG also makes the steel construction, and they use galvanized steel that gives far superior rust-protection than paint. A pro team from SCG will come and make the roof during the agreed term.

I spent a little extra by choosing "Neustile" tiles instead of a little cheaper and more traditional looking roof tile, as Neustile gives slightly better rain protection (Photo of Neustile roofs here). Work, steel etc. is the same, so the difference in total cost is quite small.

Here's a link for SCG Roof Expert (unfortunately in Thai, but use for example Google Chrome and the translation function).

A very useful post and looks like we both had the same idea and it worked out for you.

Only trouble as far as SCG is I'm reckoning on a metal roof.......which i think has a lot of advantages but reading your post rather wish I was having regular tiles (which I can of course). I think it's easier to get a poorly finished job with a metal roof.

I am actually reckoning on getting my QCon blocks from SCG.......10cm thick for 22baht.....and i know they will instruct building crews in their QCon technique on your site.

cheers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

A very useful post and looks like we both had the same idea and it worked out for you.

Only trouble as far as SCG is I'm reckoning on a metal roof.......which i think has a lot of advantages but reading your post rather wish I was having regular tiles (which I can of course). I think it's easier to get a poorly finished job with a metal roof.

I am actually reckoning on getting my QCon blocks from SCG.......10cm thick for 22baht.....and i know they will instruct building crews in their QCon technique on your site.

cheers

Thanks...:wai:

I used QCon blocks in my house. I'm from Denmark, and we Scandinavians have been used to aerated concrete for almost a century – they originates from mid 1920'ies Sweden – so when my building constructor told me about this "new product", in Thailand 10-years ago, i didn't mind the price difference. I knew from experience that it pays back by saving heating costs, or rather aircon electricity usage here, and in general it gives you a better constant indoor temperature environment, and furthermore noise isolation.

I used QCon for all aircon rooms and areas where temperature matters, whilst walls or separations without the importance of temperature insulation, I used normal cheap blocks. However QCon also has the benefit, that anything to be fitted, where you drill a hole, don't in up as a deep space black hole inside a brick...:whistling:

Even on my top-floor, under the roof, it's never too hot without aircon; we hardly use any...:wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

There must be more to the story, than what you explain.

A foreigner can own a house in Thailand, but not the land under the house; which however can be rented land, or land leased up to 30-years; or the house build on a superficies agreement, which can be combined with both a lease-term or right of usufruct.

Saying that you own a house, is not a proof of address.

The proof of address many Immigration offices wish to see is a rental agreement and a landlord's Blue House Book, or a foreigner's Yellow House Book. Furthermore some Immigration Offices will make a physical check to see that the foreigner actually live in the place of given address.

But I agree in that legal advise is worth it's cost, before obtaining right to use land, and build something.

• Like 2

Was a bit concerned after watching the perimeter wall surrounding the

property going up 1/2 day or less working balance eating a drinking Thai whiskey......

the house builder was a different group very professional head contractor spoke some English and wrote good English. Started in April finished in time and budget in September. 

They worked 8-5 everyday I think one Sunday off with short lunch. Very satisfied. This is in the N.E. 

He travels to other locations after this build he was building 6 houses in one compound. 

1EC3A202-1E31-4F54-B5F6-E3C8461BBC78.jpeg

Edited by DJ54
Add

It is fine to build during the wet season. The main difficulty might be site access for heavy vehicles. Construction traffic will certainly churn up your future garden area.

I'd go for a tile roof. Metal roofs, in theory, are cheaper and should last longer, but there can be problems in the long term with leaks that are difficult to track down. 

Tile roofs are relatively easy to fix, if needed, and much quieter when it rains.

• Like 1

Thanks...:wai:

I used QCon blocks in my house. I'm from Denmark, and we Scandinavians have been used to aerated concrete for almost a century – they originates from mid 1920'ies Sweden – so when my building constructor told me about this "new product", in Thailand 10-years ago, i didn't mind the price difference. I knew from experience that it pays back by saving heating costs, or rather aircon electricity usage here, and in general it gives you a better constant indoor temperature environment, and furthermore noise isolation.

I used QCon for all aircon rooms and areas where temperature matters, whilst walls or separations without the importance of temperature insulation, I used normal cheap blocks. However QCon also has the benefit, that anything to be fitted, where you drill a hole, don't in up as a deep space black hole inside a brick...:whistling:

Even on my top-floor, under the roof, it's never too hot without aircon; we hardly use any...:wink:

Yes Per it can be hit or miss drilling a useful hole in a regular block!

I think for me 10cm block is ok ( I bet if you’re Danish yours are thicker). I’ve lived 14 years without aircon......no glass windows in fact....so fans and some aircon for occasional use will be luxury.
But I’d prefer 10cm to the standard 7.5cm so conduit can be chased in easier, wee bit more sound and hear insulation and easier to lay.

If I go for the separate roofer it brings the problem of responsibility and coordination but that shouldn’t be insurmountable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

It is fine to build during the wet season.

That is not true. Rain is a problem and there will be enough problems without inviting them.

It has rained here every day for the last week, some days absolutely torrential. If they had been doing my footings this week, the soil would have been going back in as fast as it came out and the footings would be sat on a sea of mud. My pillars are on pads a metre deep, a bit of rain and huge problems arise. And then there was the cavity wall to think about.

I suspect many of the houses I have seen with large cracks were built in the wet season.

day2_2.JPG

day4_1.JPG

day28_5.JPG

• Like 1

That is not true. Rain is a problem and there will be enough problems without inviting them.
It has rained here every day for the last week, some days absolutely torrential. If they had been doing my footings this week, the soil would have been going back in as fast as it came out and the footings would be sat on a sea of mud. My pillars are on pads a metre deep, a bit of rain and huge problems arise. And then there was the cavity wall to think about.
I suspect many of the houses I have seen with large cracks were built in the wet season.
day2_2.thumb.JPG.6006c7f9b3f9d18749eca61cdc588360.JPG
day4_1.thumb.JPG.e48d252675b65b9a0d2807b9eaf01134.JPG
day28_5.thumb.JPG.dbe33a0e7f0e775388c2925cb7ea9230.JPG

Interesting you’ve hidden the pillars with bricks like tha

18 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

How he obtained the house ? With the money that they spent ?

I suspect another problem, as it is not immigration business to question about this. Except maybe if you live near Huahin were immigration is the worst of whole Thailand.

57 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The object was cavity wall construction, concealing the pillars was a bonus.

cavity wall construction ?

can you explain please ?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The object was cavity wall construction, concealing the pillars was a bonus.

Actually your post has given me pause.

You've been the most anti wet weather builder by far.

We're at the stage of finalising plans and submitting to tesabahn then build.

Wife was hurrying things as she says it HAS to be started in an "even" month. THat's a Thai month not a regular month.

WAs thinking I could get round that by digging a single hole or something.

But as i say you've given me pause.

Anything can happen with weather and heavy rain is possible now in CM but I better look at the rainfall charts and scratch my chin.

Edited by cheeryble

5 minutes ago, grkt said:

cavity wall construction ?

can you explain please ?

Thanks.

I'll explain for Sandy.

THere's an inner wall of QCon blocks and an outer wall of bricks. It insulates from heat and sound and allows a nice brick appearance.

The cavity is not usually filled but can be with more insulation or even burnt coconut husk.

But he is going to be very well insulated and soundproof just with the cavity.

He has also managed to hide the concrete posts.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1