Bangkok taxi driver fined Bt1,000 for allegedly molesting female passenger

webfact

Taxi driver fined Bt1,000 for allegedly molesting female passenger

By The Nation

t3-650x336.jpg

FILE photo

A Bangkok taxi driver has been fined Bt1,000 for allegedly molesting a female passenger, Land Transport Department director general Sanit Promwong said Thursday.

Rachanon Srijumpol was fined on Wednesday after being summoned to meet officials at the Land Transport Department.

He was accused of grabbing the thigh of a female passenger while taking her from Ram Indra Road to the Southern Bus Terminal on Borom Ratchonnanee road on April 30.

He was handed over to police when it was discovered he did not hold a public transport driving license and charged with driving a public transport vehicle without a license.

Sanit added that the Thai Taxis Cooperative was also fined Bt2,000 for allowing a person without the correct license to drive one of its taxis.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30344524

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-03

DLT fines Bangkok cabby just 1,000 baht after he asked for sex saying he had a gun - and police let him go!

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Bangkok taxi driver has been fined after suggesting sex to a female passenger on the way to the Southern bus station on Tuesday.

He used obscene language and even claimed to have a gun.

But despite the fact that he didn't even have a licence to drive the Department of Land Transport have fined him a paltry 1,000 baht.

Now it has emerged that even the police have let him go with a ticking off after the passenger withdrew charges.

Female police captain Phreuksa Bundamnern of the Taling Chan station told INN that the driver was arrested on Tuesday evening following a complaint made by the female passenger and a video was shown online.

But when the woman and the driver met at the station she decided to drop charges.

Consequently the driver's details were recorded and he was let go.

Had the passenger pressed charges the police would have prosecuted him with making lewd suggestions with malicious intent to a person over the age of 15.

Nothing was said by the police about a gun but chief of the DLT Sukree Jaruphoom said that a gun had been mentioned.

He confirmed the 1,000 baht fine for the driver saying that the taxi company that hired him the vehicle also faces a 1,000 baht fine and have been told to take the cab out of service.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-03

The Bangkok taxi crooks cheat customers on a daily basis, everybody is aware, but strangely the Thai Police seem to be the only ones  unaware ?. :blush:..a real "big joke"

Now a BKK taxi driver can attempt to rape a customer and the Thai Police just lets them off with a fine ?????!!!:post-4641-1156693976:

The brown enveloppes handed over by the taxi mafia must be really chunky !!!! :burp:

Another fine reason to use GRAB or any other means of transport in Bangkok....but flee the official taxis like the plague !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Nemesis7 said:

Unbelievable, instead of banning him from driving and taking him to custody , fining him with 1000 bhat is nothing but an insult to the dignity of a women.

She did drop the charges, for some unknown reason.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

But when the woman and the driver met at the station she decided to drop charges.

This does not make sense and I am very suspicious that she was coerced into dropping the charges by the police, who had made their own arrangements. Of course that is only conjecture.

The paltry  fine, and my suspicion he will be on the streets, driving a taxi again, must make the women of town feel very secure!

9 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Never been cheated yet by a bangkok taxi driver.

But feel free to denigrate everyone of them

Yes, 95% of them are giving the rest a bad name!

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

These paltry fines really are pathetic, and will never act as a deterrent to others.

Time for a change ? :coffee1: 

I'll second that.. until penalties fit the crime nothing will ever change..

The driver should have been charged a lot more and the taxi company hammered for allowing him to drive!!

On 5/3/2018 at 3:00 PM, observer90210 said:

The Bangkok taxi crooks cheat customers on a daily basis, everybody is aware, but strangely the Thai Police seem to be the only ones  unaware ?. :blush:..a real "big joke"

Now a BKK taxi driver can attempt to rape a customer and the Thai Police just lets them off with a fine ?????!!!:post-4641-1156693976:

The brown enveloppes handed over by the taxi mafia must be really chunky !!!! :burp:

Another fine reason to use GRAB or any other means of transport in Bangkok....but flee the official taxis like the plague !!

GRAB just doesn't sound appropriate in this case.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 4:00 PM, observer90210 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/27/uber-london-ban-sexual-assault-california-case-police/

Both in the USA and UK Uber has been associated with a massive rise in Sexual assaults and consequently lost its licence in London. I'm sick of people criticising Bangkok taxi drivers who, by and large do a difficult and stressful job and they do it well for a low price.

Never touch Bangkok taxis now as never know what we'll get.  No aircon, driving into heavy traffic on purpose, driving the entire perimeter of Bangkok to get to the airport.  Just not worth the risk.  

We always go to limo companies, while slightly more expensive, provides great service for a flat fee with Easy Pass included in the price, knowledgeable drivers and large storage spaces for luggage.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Never touch Bangkok taxis now as never know what we'll get.  No aircon, driving into heavy traffic on purpose, driving the entire perimeter of Bangkok to get to the airport.  Just not worth the risk.  

We always go to limo companies, while slightly more expensive, provides great service for a flat fee with Easy Pass included in the price, knowledgeable drivers and large storage spaces for luggage.    

If you're just talking about BKK airport then I don't know why everybody doesn't use the ARL to get there.  Faster and cheaper than any taxi unless you stay far away from the BTS or MRT maybe.

4 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

If you're just talking about BKK airport then I don't know why everybody doesn't use the ARL to get there.  Faster and cheaper than any taxi unless you stay far away from the BTS or MRT maybe.

No, not just the airport but in general.  Too hit and miss.

Prefer to pay a few baht more and get what we pay for.  You pays your money and takes your choice.  

Edited by Here It Is

I don't use any sort of taxis/limos in Bangkok.  Maybe one or two a year when I have no other choice or I'm with someone else who insists on a taxi.  Partly because I'm cheap and partly because I just don't like them, too many problems with drivers not knowing where they're going, talking too much etc.  They're mostly stupid guys who'd otherwise be working on rice fields and whilst not all stupid people are bad/annoying, a lot are.

BTS, MRT, BRT, ARL, I use them for about half of journeys and the rest of the time I use public buses.  You don't have to talk to anybody on any of these services and that's fine by me.

4 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

If you're just talking about BKK airport then I don't know why everybody doesn't use the ARL to get there. 

That's a great idea if we resided right outside of the terminal but we never do, i.e. lower Suk.

9 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

That's a great idea if we resided right outside of the terminal but we never do, i.e. lower Suk.

Asoke is directly connected to ARL by MRT.  Makkasan station.  It's only 8-10 minutes or so including the waiting time for the train.