Texas teen charged with plotting IS-inspired shooting at mall

webfact

Texas teen charged with plotting IS-inspired shooting at mall

By Mark Hosenball and Lisa Lambert

2018-05-03T025512Z_1_LYNXMPEE42038_RTROPTP_3_USA-SHOOTING-ARREST.JPG

Matin Azizi-Yarand, 17, appears in a booking photo provided by the Collin County Sheriff's Office, May 2, 2018. Collin County Sheriff's Office/Handout via REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 17-year-old boy in Plano, Texas, has been arrested and charged with plotting a mass shooting inspired by the Islamic State at a shopping mall, law enforcement agencies said on Wednesday.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and police said high-school student Matin Azizi-Yarand had planned the attack for mid-May and had sought to recruit others for the shooting. Authorities also said he had drafted a "Message to America" justifying his planned attack.

The FBI and local authorities in Collin County, Texas, said that at the time of his arrest, Azizi-Yarand had sent "more than $1,400 to others" to buy weapons and tactical gear.

In an affidavit, investigators said Azizi-Yarand began communicating online with an FBI "confidential human source" last December about his desire to travel abroad or to conduct an attack in the United States.

He compared himself to other recent "lone wolf" attackers, investigators said. "Look at all the other lone wolves// What training did they have yet they simply killed the kuffar?" Azizi-Yarand told the FBI source, using the Arabic word for "disbelievers," according to the affidavit.

Prosecutors say Azizi-Yarand told the FBI source: "The brothers in Europe the brother in Spain the brother in New York? Had no military training//it's not about numbers it's about getting a message across to these taghut countries," using an Islamic term denoting a focus of worship other than Allah.

Later in the discussion, investigators say, Azizi-Yarand told the FBI source he wanted "to put America in the state that Europe is in which is having to have soldiers deployed in streets."

In other conversations, investigators say, Azizi-Yarand talked about his interest in traveling to Pakistan and then crossing into Afghanistan where he could join the Islamic State. At another point, he told the FBI source he knew a person in India who had information on jihadi activity in Libya, and who invited Azizi-Yarand to travel there with him.

In one conversation, Azizi-Yarand said that he had converted to Islam, in part because of "fighting."

"When I first became Muslim fighting was a big part of why I came to this religion," he said. "I saw men facing so many tribulations but remained steadfast and believed in Allah. That's one of the Core things that led me to convert seeing the strength the Muslims had."

In numerous online conversations, investigators said, Azizi-Yarand shared multiple forms of Islamic State propaganda. At another point, he sent the FBI source a document authored by one of the 1999 shooters at Columbine High School in Colorado containing detailed instructions for building pipe bombs.

The suspect also discussed various possible targets for a domestic U.S. attack, including a school. Later still, Azizi-Yarand discussed with an undercover FBI employee the possibility of attacking a shopping mall during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, and at one point sent the FBI employee three pictures of a mall near Plano called the Stonebriar Centre.

While the FBI and a Joint Terrorism Task force conducted the investigation leading to Azizi-Yarand's arrest, so far he has only being charged under Texas state law.

Under federal law, the 17-year-old is considered a juvenile, U.S. prosecutors in Texas said.

"Federal law limits our ability to certify a juvenile as an adult for prosecution, and in light of that, we determined that state prosecution of the subject will best address the case," U.S. Attorney Joseph Brown said in a statement.

Authorities said if that if Azizi-Yarand is convicted, he would face up to life in prison for soliciting others to participate in his planned attack, and up to 10 years in prison for making a terroristic threat.

Azizi-Yarand is in custody and bond has been set at $3 million.

(Reporting by Lisa Lambert and Mark Hosenball; editing by Lisa Shumaker and Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-03
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And no mention of who this kid is?  Born in the U.S. or immigrant?

Also, what nationality his family?  What about his family, and what were they doing amid all this alleged activity?

If the allegations here are true, I'd say, give this POS kid what he really wants -- a quick trip to martyrdom and all the virgins he can handle.

I just knew this article would bring out a response of this sort. 

The vast majority of muslims are peace loving people. 

Unfortunately they are a people forced into conflict zones and subsequently stigmatized and demonized.

I feel safer around immigrant enclaves than I do most british city centres.

However I wont label all brits as thugs and drunkards.

Then again I am a reasonable and coherent mature adult.

Edited by Expatthailover
  • Like 2

I think in a Jihadist terrorism case like this (alleged) it's perfectly legitimate to report about the family nationality background, immigration status history of his parents if they aren't native born, religious background, etc. The article states he converted to Islam which indicates his family background is probably not Muslim. He is a minor though which means different legal treatment than an adult unless he is eventually charged as an adult, which seems likely. 

I am passionately anti-"trump" and am totally certain that he's a racist and Islamophobic but also for freedom of the press and the public's right to know basic facts. It's not Islamophobic in a case like this for the public to want to know the facts. How the public might process the facts is another matter. The press can't control that nor should they try.

On the other hand, fear of Jihadist terrorists and the desire to crush them (as opposed to Muslims in general) seems entirely rational. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

Unfortunately they are a people forced into conflict zones and subsequently stigmatized and demonized.

And obviously can't read and comprehend either.

My comments above addressed ONE individual and his alleged mass murder plans -- not all Muslims or any group of Muslims or people from any particular country.

Just one 17-year-old who allegedly wanted to kill a lot of innocent people in the name of what he considers his religion.

I'd like to know more about this would-be mass murderer to try to understand the background circumstances that led him to his plans to kill a lot of people. And that includes his background, nationality, status, etc.  Not to wage some kind of western Jihad against Muslims.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

How the public might process the facts is another matter.

That might be a consideration if there is to be a trial by jury in a state court if the suspect doesn't confess. So no reason to rush with a complete bio on the subject. Internet sleuths will probably uncover must of his bio within a week anyways.

The mainstream media in the U.S. -- and I speak with substantial experience in the matter -- don't typically operate under the so-called P.C. constraints that hamper those in other countries.  This was a breaking news story this morning local time when first posted here, so I'd presume that's why not all the pertinent details were initially available.

I'm pretty certain the follow-up news reports, as the case unravels, will delve into just who this kid is, what was going on with his family, and what led him to pursue his alleged mass murder plans. Because all of that is relevant to the alleged offenses in this case, so the U.S. media would have no reason to avoid it.

Wednesday afternoon NBC 5 spoke with Azizi-Yarand's father, Reza Azizi, who said he had "no clue" what his son was planning and described his son as a "good kid" and a "good student."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Frisco-Student-Was-Inspired-by-Islamic-State-to-Carry-Out-Attack-at-Stonebriar-Mall-481509921.html

It would appear, either Dad is clueless, or a pretty blatant liar.

A "good kid" doesn't write about his plans for mass murder including confronting a police officer, dousing him in gasoline and setting him on fire!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Frisco-Student-Was-Inspired-by-Islamic-State-to-Carry-Out-Attack-at-Stonebriar-Mall-481509921.html

It would appear, either Dad is clueless, or a pretty blatant liar.

A "good kid" doesn't write about his plans for mass murder including confronting a police officer, dousing him in gasoline and setting him on fire!

Why couldn’t this kid just be a run of the mill American screw up - stealing his dads semi automatic and mowing down two dozen of his class mates? Just like normal American kids would do if a girl didn’t talk to them?

Instead he goes all Muslim jihadiist on us. Now the rednecks are going to have to consider idea that keeping guns of some people might actually be a good idea. 

Damn you Yaarand - you moron! 

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

I Think (IMHO) that racial profiling is necessary to find these guys................ It is a short-cut to getting to them faster............ Before they make their moves............. If people profiled are not guilty they have nothing to fear......... No more so than we do when we go to the airport and are ALL searched..............

4 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

I Think (IMHO) that racial profiling is necessary to find these guys................ It is a short-cut to getting to them faster............ Before they make their moves............. If people profiled are not guilty they have nothing to fear......... No more so than we do when we go to the airport and are ALL searched..............

I didn't know Islam was a Race. My bad (I guess).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Political correctness dictates as little as possible be revealed about his nationality/origin/background/religion.

You see the muslims tell us to go easy on them and they'll give information about potential terrorists within. If we don't go easy on them, we hear screams of 'racist' and 'islamaphobia', even though there is no information forthcoming.

They have us by the short and curlies, due entirely to weak, c*** sucking politicians.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Usual BS from you and some others. The guy is a recent convert to Islam.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Absolutely right. People should feel free and welcome to express hostility to Islamist/Jihadist terrorists without being accused of being Islamophobes.

Similarly, people should feel free and welcome to express hostility towards white nationalist inspired terrorists as well without being accused of hating all white people or all Christians.

As muslims do at Friday prayers, hate preaching, and not being called to account.  If I called a Jew a pig, I'd be dragged tnhorugh the courts for racial vilification, as I should be, but it's done in mosques with impunity.

The hate us infidels, and are sworn to kill us.   They are taking over from within with less than 3% of the population in Australia, halal food (a religious tax).   They know how unpopular it is with infidels because the product isn't marked.   It's now on their website instead.

The demand, and get, closure of public pools on certain days so the women can swim without being in the prying eyes of us kaffirs.   What's to see when they swim in a potato sack??

They demand, and get, halal food in school canteens.  They demand, and get, pork removed from school canteen menus.

The demand, and get, Easter and Christmas not being celebrated in schools.

On it goes, and what we're seeing is the thin edge of the wedge.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

But he IS a muslim.

Not in the context you posted. An adherent to Islamist ideology which is  one small branch, but very dangerous aspect of Islam.

You're posting more and more extremist anti Muslim content, including yesterday in one OP advocating genocide of Muslims. Try pulling your head in as people such as you are constantly advised by our security forces to cease such behaviour.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Usual BS from you and some others. The guy is a recent convert to Islam.

Can you offer an explanation as to why the guy's recent conversion to Islam made him plot terror attacks? Is there something about Islam that encourages its followers to attack people, or is his recent conversion to Islam merely coincidental and if he had converted to lets say Rastafarianism or Buddhism he would still be compelled to attack non believers?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Can you offer an explanation as to why the guy's recent conversion to Islam made him plot terror attacks? Is there something about Islam that encourages its followers to attack people, or is his recent conversion to Islam merely coincidental and if he had converted to lets say Rastafarianism or Buddhism he would still be compelled to attack non believers?

Didn't the OP clearly state he was attracted to the IS version of Islam because of the fighting? So he had a desire to be a fighter and then looked for the extremist branch of the religion which suited he desire. The key being he was looking for a fight and looking for someone to justify and inflame his personality flaw. Some of these youngsters end up with IS some with the neonazis. The point is they are looking to be warriors before they find their justification.

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Didn't the OP clearly state he was attracted to the IS version of Islam because of the fighting? So he had a desire to be a fighter and then looked for the extremist branch of the religion which suited he desire. The key being he was looking for a fight and looking for someone to justify and inflame his personality flaw. Some of these youngsters end up with IS some with the neonazis. The point is they are looking to be warriors before they find their justification.

Think I understand what you're trying to say. However, personally, I would not define people attracted to Islamist ideology / neo Nazism as 'warriors'.

15 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Funny that, as most British City Centres Are immigrant enclaves now, and yes i do speak from experience. I can no longer walk around my home town without the fear of being harassed. As another poster has said ,these people are taking over by stealth. This young man is just one more in a long long line...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Think I understand what you're trying to say. However, personally, I would not define people attracted to Islamist ideology / neo Nazism as 'warriors'.

Yeah, that post/thought was awkward...

I agree, I would not define them that way as well... but this is how they self-define and is significant in their life choices.

• Like 1