Somkid calls for parties to unite to overcome conflict

webfact

Somkid calls for parties to unite to overcome conflict

By THE NATION

7d57fc15aad0381ae85ce8d1b853b9d7.jpeg

DEPUTY Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak yesterday hit back at unnamed politicians for accusing people in power of wooing as many former MPs as possible into a new political party being formed to support the junta chief’s return as prime minister.

Somkid, who heads the government’s economic team, repeated an earlier denial by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha that there was any such attempt on the government’s side.

“But why do people want to move to a new house? Is it because they are unhappy living in the present house? You need to improve your home so that Thai people can place their hope on it,” he said, likening a political party to a house.

The deputy premier described as “nonsense” the allegation by certain existing parties that their former MPs were being “sucked out” into the pro-Prayut party.

He said wooing as many former MPs as possible in a bid to gain power was a “very old way of thinking”.He added, “They should come up with new ideas and think much more about the future.”

However, Somkid said he did not want to counter politicians. “I know everyone. We are friends.Someday in the future we may have to work together. So, it’s better to spend your time on good things.”

According to media speculation, the party in question is in the making, under the leadership of Somkid’s close aides in the Cabinet – Industry Minister Uttama Savanayana and Commerce Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong.

Somkid yesterday denied planning to set up a new party. “I just said that I support General Prayut to continue his work if he wants to. It depends on the political parties if they will support him or not,” Somkid added.

He called on political parties to work together and “overcome all conflicts for the sake of the country”.

The deputy PM said given the current situation, there was a need for continuity to drive the country forward. “Also, the country’s peace is necessary. The government has done a good job. It’s okay if anyone else can do it better. That depends on voters.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30344566

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-04

how much is he being paid by the generals/cpgroup/chinese state to speak such hypocrisy. Then again he was hired as a face people could connect with from a successful government of the past.That allure is way past its sell by date for Mr Somkid.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

It’s okay if anyone else can do it better. That depends on voters.”

How very magnanimous of you! But of course the burning question is, “will there be ‘anyone’ else for the people to vote for?”. I mean anyone who isn’t associated with or have their hands tied by the current military junta. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

But why do people want to move to a new house? Is it because they are unhappy living in the present house? You need to improve your home so that Thai people can place their hope on it,” he said, likening a political party to a house.

What ever is going on here sure makes heard  fairy tales as a child  into reality 

Screen Shot 2561-05-04 at 08.35.36.png

They will be up in Buriam shortly encouraging that paragon of virtue Newin to join them. I wonder what they will offer him to support the military...... (again) Transport ministry? Education ministry?

Oh those lovely reforms. After 4 years of them we end up with Newin and the Pattaya bunch!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

That depends on voters.

Did the voters get to vote on Prayut's  military coup?

Will voters get to vote on the next military coup?

Somkid is so deep into the junta that he can't see the loss of the Thai People's sovereignty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

They will be up in Buriam shortly encouraging that paragon of virtue Newin to join them. I wonder what they will offer him to support the military...... (again) Transport ministry? Education ministry?

Oh those lovely reforms. After 4 years of them we end up with Newin and the Pattaya bunch!

Great.. no progress, first they supported the Shins and now they jumped ship to the junta. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I wonder what they will offer him to support the military...... (again)

Good question. Somkid has been essentially a "one trick pony" as far as experience is concerned.

Somkid has been Deputy Prime Minister for the economy since Prayut's original Cabinet. Any ministry position would be a downgrade. Of the three remaining DPM positions (public security, foreign affairs and legal affairs), he would qualify as DPM Foreign Affairs. But that would be more a lateral move and more politically involved.

So he continues as DPM for economic affairs (trading loyalty for job security).

Or he is appointed to one or more quasi-government organizations (State-owned companies, Bank of Thailand Governor, oversight committees, etc.) and Board of Directors to select corporations where he can make multiple incomes (a Thai government official can earn simultaneous compensation from multiple government and private sources).

It seems to me to be very ironical that Somkid and his playmates always seem to ask other people to unite and overcome conflict, yet it is they themselves who cause the conflict in Thailand.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Or perhaps I'm just thick.

It depends on voters ? The current government never asked the voters, they just took power. And no, they have done absolutely nothing to improve the house that is Thailand. On the contrary. 

I understand the need to remain in power, and with a NCPO appointed senate and the 20 year road map, this seems to be ensured, regardless of who actually becomes PM. 

In any case, let's just hope the current PM will not get another term, either as insider or outsider, he is grossly underqualified. 

• Like 1