Junta urged to revoke orders that curb press freedom

webfact

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I disagree, but then I often do. If he gets to become an outsider PM he will have a lot LESS power then now. He can't do as he pleases anymore he will be far less dangerous then now. He will be stressed out a lot as he can't rule with absolute power anymore. 

Sorry, I disagree too. With the assurance that only previous "hand picked" senators fill the seats in the new 'elected government' he will have the same power as now.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Sorry, I disagree too. With the assurance that only previous "hand picked" senators fill the seats in the new 'elected government' he will have the same power as now.

I would think that article 44 will go once he is a prime minister, nothing comes close in power to that.. so I still think there is less power.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, baboon said:

I am sure there are plans to continue Article 44 under a different name. He won't be able to govern otherwise, not as and when he would have to justify himself. 

Then there is the question of how he became so rich on a soldier's pay by means so honest they aren't allowed to be investigated...

Yes. Prayuth is such an appalling coward - throwing his weight around left, right and centre when no one is allowed to answer back and challenge him - that he will only continue in office if he has basically all the cards stacked in his favour. No way would this intellectual midget ever face any real grilling in parliament. He would be smashed to smithereens in minutes. (I often think with glee how - and my British compatriots will know whereof I speak - the relentless political interviwer, Jeremy Paxman, would obliterate this frightened little military bully in a no-holds-barred head-to-head confrontation!).

Doubtless Prayuth will, as Baboon suggests, retain some form of Article 44 to build a protective, all-powerful wall around himself. He might even call it by the charming new name of 'Article Thai Niyom' - the article that extends out into areas that other articles cannot reach!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Like you I see the push by the junta on traditional attire and ringing endorsement of that period lakorn are not isolated events but a well coordinated attempt to re-set the clock. There are 'away from public eyes' rationalization of laws and more centralized governing that are aimed for a purpose. If Prayut get his government, he will intensify this direction and will drag Thailand backwards.   

Yes-I am in full agreement with your analysis.

The only thing that I might disagree with is the notion that the good general is really running the show...whereas I think you can exchange one cardboard cutout with any number of them..just use a 3D printer and add parachute wings,if desired.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I disagree, but then I often do. If he gets to become an outsider PM he will have a lot LESS power then now. He can't do as he pleases anymore he will be far less dangerous then now. He will be stressed out a lot as he can't rule with absolute power anymore. 

As long as he has the backing of those that installed him he can do anything he wants with a revamped S44 at his disposal. The only thing that can really stop him - not even sanctions can do that - is the people of the country. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I would think that article 44 will go once he is a prime minister, nothing comes close in power to that.. so I still think there is less power.

It will go but it will be replaced by the same thing with a different name. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, baboon said:

I must say that my first reaction was 'I don't see how it could get worse'. More of the same, certainly, but not worse. What is the basis behind your reasoning, Stephen?

Like Muhammd Morsi in Egypt, once he prevailed in the dubious elections in Egypt, he thought that meant he could do what he wanted and ignore everyone that didn't vote for him (or was prevented from doing so). Because he had no clue of what it meant to win a democratic election (I use the term loosely) or what democracy he is, he simply assumed that democracy means winner takes all. Prayuth, in his infinite arrogance and stupidity, like those who installed him, will assume that the international community will interpret him becoming PM again as  the result of the will of the Thai people because of the "elections". Like Sisi, who ousted Morsi, Prayuth will use the pretext of national security to throw journalists in jail if he doesn't like what they report, after all, he was elected by the people. Erdogan does the same. I don't see S44 being put back in the box, I think it will just be wielded under a different name. I think the only thing that could throw Prayuth off his trajectory to becoming supreme leader is the Thai people themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

How do you know so sure.. because i did not read anything about this ?

I wasn't basing it on any recent specific report or commentary, just my observations of the junta since it was installed. No one can say for sure what the outcome of all this will be after February but if I were to walk into a bookmaker's, I know how I'd place my bet, and I don't think the bookie would give me anything outside of than 8:1 odds. 

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

I wasn't basing it on any recent specific report or commentary, just my observations of the junta since it was installed. No one can say for sure what the outcome of all this will be after February but if I were to walk into a bookmaker's, I know how I'd place my bet, and I don't think the bookie would give me anything outside of than 8:1 odds. 

We will see so far you have no proof, i think article 44 will be gone together with the PM's power, the only power he then has are his friends in the appointed senate. (just assuming he will be an outsider PM). I wonder how that is going to work (or not work). The political party makes the policy and Prayut has to help with that.. or does he think he can still decide what will happen ?

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

We will see so far you have no proof, i think article 44 will be gone together with the PM's power, the only power he then has are his friends in the appointed senate. (just assuming he will be an outsider PM). I wonder how that is going to work (or not work). The political party makes the policy and Prayut has to help with that.. or does he think he can still decide what will happen ?

"or does he think he can still decide what will happen ?"... that's what I'm assuming. I hope I'm wrong though.