New tourist bike lane opens to visit popular Kaeng Krachan in Phetchaburi

New tourist bike lane opens to visit popular Kaeng Krachan in Phetchaburi

By The Nation

ff.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The Highway Department has built and launched a new bike lane in Phetchaburi’s Nong Ya Plong district to make it safer for tourists to visit Kaeng Krachan Dam and King Rama IX’s development project in the province.

Nathee Kwanpae, director of the Samut Songkram Highway Area, said the new 5.12-kilometre-long bike lane was opened on April 28 and built for Bt22 million.

The lane parallels highway No. 3510 on the left side and has two lanes, each 1.5 metres wide.

Nathee said the department decided to separate bicyclists from the highway due to the high volume of cyclists previously using the highway on weekends to visit Kaeng Krachan Dam and the tapioca plantation development project under King Rama IX’s initiative.

He said tourists could also use the new bike lane from the kilometre marker 20+800 to 25+921 to visit a hot spring in Tambon Yang Nam Klad Nua.

The department in April 2017 opened a 6.5-km bike lane built in parallel with the 3510 highway from the kilometre marker 14+300 to 20+800.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30344584

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-04

I live in Kaeng Krachan and take highway 3510 many times.  Tha last two times I was using 3510 I have had to slow down and pass groups of bicyclists completely ignoring the expensive bike path created for them to use.  What a gargantuan waste of Baht.

• Like 2

Yes as another poster pointed out m/c will love this and those arrows will not mean anything at all, other than that it is a good idea, if correctly policed sadly this is Thailand and it will not be policed and  sadly abused!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, patekatek said:

I live in Kaeng Krachan and take highway 3510 many times.  Tha last two times I was using 3510 I have had to slow down and pass groups of bicyclists completely ignoring the expensive bike path created for them to use.  What a gargantuan waste of Baht.

the same occurs in my district where bicyclists in a group numbering a score or more use the main road along with slow moving support vehicles and ignore the provided two-lane bicycle path running parallel. At night the cycle path is lit with spaced sodium lighting whereas the main road has none...

I applause bicyclists but they should follow the rules of the road. To often they ride side-by-side cross talking and hindering following vehicles.

8 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I applause bicyclists but they should follow the rules of the road. To often they ride side-by-side cross talking and hindering following vehicles.

Plenty of ignorant Falang and Thai  bicyclists where I live. :bah:

7 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yes as another poster pointed out m/c will love this and those arrows will not mean anything at all...

Probably as little as those strange white stripes, that, for some reason, pedestrians (i.e. poor people) sometimes use to get to the other side. (Someone once told me that they are not purely for decoration, but, supposedly, for zebras! - Zebras, in Thailand! As if... Anyone with a solid Thai education knows that Zebras live either in New York, or Madagascar!) :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

There should be just about enough room for bicycles to ride in the middle of the path after the food stalls and athletic wear shops are in place. Not sure what the cyclists coming from the other direction are going to do though.

1 hour ago, fullcave said:

The road looks totally empty like the one in Hua Hin. I applaud the use of government debt to finance such useful projects.  

Maybe some of the reason to that "totally empty look" could be that outdoor activity often is chosen because of a bit more freedom and space than with similar indoor activity:smile: 

Nice...encourage tourists to use cycles....good idea....they just forgot that this is Thailand and in no time the motorbikes and scooters will take over the lane, crash and kill here and there???......so put your bike aside and save you life by avoiding driving yourself or bycycling in Thailand...but hopefully, I am totally wrong and this will be something great for people to enjoy moving around on their cycles safely ???????.....hope so for them...keep safe and bycycling also calls for a helmet.....

Edited by observer90210

21 hours ago, krystian said:

Nice!! another expressway for Motorcycles LOL

Yep and I don't see the 5,000 baht fine and explicit no-motorbike signs as they have them in Bangkok (and are ignored, of course).

Edited by MaxYakov

On 04/05/2018 at 9:20 AM, maxcorrigan said:

Yes as another poster pointed out m/c will love this and those arrows will not mean anything at all, other than that it is a good idea, if correctly policed sadly this is Thailand and it will not be policed and  sadly abused!

You obviously don't know Thailand.

These "Arrows" are designed to mark where to put your SomTam stall.

• Haha 1

IT IS at least a step in the right direction and something positive.

I have riden a number of these paths around the country and havent seen mocys on them..and i feel a hell of a lot safer on them than on the actual roads.

Please guys try to see the up side, beleive me ive been down on this place for a few months now..

And anything good is a breath of fresh air for me...

Edited by kaorop

On 4/5/2018 at 12:20 PM, patekatek said:

Smart cyclists, they know bicycle lanes are like zebra crossings, killing fields.

Edited by Thechook

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Smart cyclists, they know bicycle lanes are like zebra crossings, killing fields.

Naaaah. I think cyclists sharing the road with high-speed motor vehicles either have a death wish, like to irritate motorists, need the adrenalin rush or are just plain stupid.

Edited by MaxYakov