Grief-stricken mom picks up son’s body from morgue after balcony collapse

webfact

Grief-stricken mom picks up son’s body from morgue after balcony collapse

By Kornkamon Aksorndech 
The Nation

c894519ff836e9e7f4fe223486dff982-sld.jpe

A grief-stricken mother on Friday picked up the body of her son from the morgue at Police General Hospital after he was killed – and his three siblings seriously injured – early on Tuesday morning when a section of the balcony of their rented apartment in Bangkok collapsed.

Rattikan Prakaikaew, 36, said she brought along toys and a set of clothing that the deceased Khanatcha “Alex” Borell, 5, loved when she went to pick up the body.

The children’s Swiss father, Marshall Leon Borell, was also visibly sobbing in grief as he too came to the morgue. This was reportedly also his first time seeing the boy’s face in nearly four years.

Rattikan said a five-night funeral prayer will be held for the boy at Wat Chanthawongsaram (Wat Klang) in Soi Lat Phrao 132 in Bang Kapi district. His cremation rite will be held May 9.

Rattikan said Khanatcha’s three injured siblings were recovering and would soon be released from hospital for further recovery at home.

“I didn't tell them about Alex's death yet,” she said through tears. “I just told them to focus on their recovery and said their youngest brother was asleep.”

A source at Ramkhamhaeng Hospital said Luca Borell, 10, was stable and would be out of the Intensive Care Unit soon, while Chanida Borell, 7, was still under close medical surveillance at the same unit. Another sibling, Pamela Borell, 11, who sustained a broken leg and a brain concussion, was recovering and was able to talk.

“Thank you everyone for caring for the family and donating money to help out,” the mother said, adding that the donated money would be saved for further treatment for her three remaining children. Some of it would also be used as seed money for a business, as she no longer wanted to work away and leave the children at home. She said the family would move from the current fourth floor room to a bigger one on the ground floor.

The four Thai-Swiss siblings fell from the fourth-floor balcony onto the ground outside the five-storey apartment building on Soi Ramkhamhaeng 34 at 1am on Tuesday.

Khanatcha died from a head injury at Ram Khamhaeng Hospital, while Luca, Chanida and Pamela were wounded.

Police found that fastenings had come loose from the balcony extension of the apartment where the children lived with their grandparents and Rattinkan. When the children were sitting or standing on the balcony, or near it, it gave way and they plummeted to the ground below, said police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30344602

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-04

6 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

correct me if i am wrong but my understanding of this sad case was, it was some sort of extension for clothes drying not a balcony as we know it, if in fact this is the case then this is totally mis leading reporting.

For dishes I think. But yes, a kind of shelf attached to the balcony. 

Coconuts reported some more updates, but they haven't made it to TV yet:

The father has filed a complaint for damages

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/swiss-national-files-complaint-4-children-fall-balcony-thai-ex-wifes-care/

Looks like Father of Swiss child balcany drop may never get to see his remaining kids again if grandfather has final say:

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-grandpa-four-children-fell-balcony-vows-never-give-custody-swiss-dad/

Have yet to hear from the father though.  Hopefully his side of the story might shed some light on some things here.  Doesn't look too good in any case though.

Edited by 4evermaat

Tears of the parents: Swiss father and Thai mother weep for their beloved son Alex, aged 5.

hjghujk.JPG

It was a heart-wrenching scene at the Police Hospital in Bangkok on Friday afternoon as the father and mother of the four children who fell from the balcony of some Ramkhamhaeng flats went to get the body of their deceased five year old boy.

Mother Rattikan Prakaikaew said she had brought little Alex's favorite clothes including his "Lek Carabao" t-shirt that he loved to wear. 

She hoped to have one last chance to wipe his face and make him look better. 

She vowed to spend the donations that she has received to take care of her three remaining children that are still recovering in hospital after the tragedy on Monday.

She also said she would use some of the money to help her get a new job as she never wanted to leave the children home alone again. 

Swiss father Marcy Borel was in flood of tears saying that he had cried all the way to the hospital.

He told reporters that this was the first time in four years he had seen the face of his son even though his soul had now gone. 

The couple split up several years ago and there have been many recriminations amid a custody battle over the children.

But yesterday the problems in their relationship were put aside as they took Alex to the temple of Wat Janthawongsaram (Wat Klang) in Lat Prao where bathing rites will be held for the next four days until the cremation on May 9th, next Wednesday. 

Mr Borel posted a tragic video of the little boy lying with his face showing at the temple on his Facebook page.

But there was some good news of the other children. Deema Pamela Borel, 11 is now much improved. Ten year old Luca Francois Borel is expected to be out of ICU in two to three days. While seven year old Chanida Delle Borel though still unconscious is expected to pull through.

The children fell from the fourth floor of flats in Ramkhamhaeng Soi 34 around 1.30 am.

A platform used to drain plates next to a balcony gave way after Alex became entangled in a net and the other children came to his aid. 

He had been hungry and wanted a late night snack.

CCTV showed each child falling separately in the pouring rain. Alex died at the scene from head trauma.

Their mother had gone to work and their grandparents had locked them in and gone to their room on the first floor of the block earlier in the evening.

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/641617

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-5-4

8 hours ago, Enoon said:

"It was a heart-wrenching scene at the......."

Heart rending.

Gut wrenching.

Sorry.....finally got so fed up with the constant demeaning of tragedy by such blatantly ignorant (repeated) errors, that I decided to risk being labelled (and snipped) as "grammar police".

If they insist on using cliched (cheapening, sensationalist) expressions at least make a start on using the correct cliched expressions.

Heart-rending and Gut-wrenching - Daily Writing Tips

You sure got your priorities right. Just when you think you've seen it all on Thaivisa there is always one more that raises the bar. I'm not lost for words but I just want you to know that you truly disgust me. And it seems for one gesticulating on grammar it's clearly not your best subject as I've no idea what your talking about.

16 hours ago, smedly said:

if the children had been under proper adult care this would never have happened, in the west this woman would be in custody 

grief and guilt are a powerful combination 

RIP 

Agree. And where has the father been for the last 4 years, why hasn`t he ensured his kids were well looked after and safe.

Very sad for the children that should not be left with their parents or the mother`s family.

54 minutes ago, Nip said:

You sure got your priorities right. Just when you think you've seen it all on Thaivisa there is always one more that raises the bar. I'm not lost for words but I just want you to know that you truly disgust me. And it seems for one gesticulating on grammar it's clearly not your best subject as I've no idea what your talking about.

Is he correct or not?

I am not a native English speaker.

Mother makes the statement she will never leave her children home alone....is this to defer accountability away from the GP? They were responsible as it happened on their watch...locked them in....so had there been a fire? It smells of negligent behavior - an accident waiting to happen

heart-wrenching is a proper expression in this case...def - very sad

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1

Truly a sad and tragic case. My condolences. I must admit that my experiences of Thai grand parents is good but then the ones I know didn't live in an apartment building in Bangkok.

11 hours ago, Enoon said:

"It was a heart-wrenching scene at the......."

Heart rending.

Gut wrenching.

Sorry.....finally got so fed up with the constant demeaning of tragedy by such blatantly ignorant (repeated) errors, that I decided to risk being labelled (and snipped) as "grammar police".

If they insist on using cliched (cheapening, sensationalist) expressions at least make a start on using the correct cliched expressions.

Heart-rending and Gut-wrenching - Daily Writing Tips

No need to be sorry. English is suffering a slow death....

Firstly Sad for the kids

But wife sounds pretty evil( refusing father access) and Grand daddy locks for young kids up alone.

Hmm I know nothing about kids or caring for them, BUT this seems  the complete family is far from Guiltless.

Probably best for kids if father gets  them  but sounds like wife and  family will refuse especially now there might be some cash flying around

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

She also said she would use some of the money to help her get a new job as she never wanted to leave the children home alone again

How would a new job help ? Unless she works from home. Heres a thought, why not ask the father to help.

Rip and speedy recovery 

16 hours ago, mercman24 said:

correct me if i am wrong but my understanding of this sad case was, it was some sort of extension for clothes drying not a balcony as we know it, if in fact this is the case then this is totally mis leading reporting.

Factual journalism reporting and publishing at its "best"? 

2 hours ago, Nip said:

How can you be disgusted when you stated “I’ve no idea what your talking about “  ?

BTW,  I had no idea what he was talking about either.

• Haha 1