What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Utopia - S2E4. Strong series - just love it (think its TV Marmite - love it or hate it - I love it (Marmite too biggrin.png))

Nice rundown! I shortened it a bit, because I think "Utopia" is worth to be noted individually (thanks for mentioning it in a previous post!). "Love it or hate it" is right to the point. While I love the show, I nevertheless am willing to admit that it is really, really weird! I think except for Channel 4 there is no other TV-station in the UK that would dare to broadcast it. (They have "Peep Show", too smile.png ).

• Like 1

Suits: Not sure I agree with khun wolf5370. My fear is it will become predictable, though given recent events not totally predictable.

Graceland: After taking almost the entire 1st season to kick off, I've now settled on this show. Quite watchable once you get past the "OC" type actors.

Gang Related: There just needs to be something to spark this and it will be very watchable, the potential is there. Someone just needs to pull the trigger on it.

Welcome to Sweden: A show that a lot of expats here in Thailand could related to. Pretty damn funny. Will Farrell's guest appearance was a good touch.

Satisfaction: This is my wife's favorite at the moment. It's pretty good so far, has that "Californication" feel to it.

Rush: So far so good, hopefully it continues to impress.

Taxi Brooklyn: loosely based on the movie "Taxi", I think they mean the only commonality between the movie and the tv show is the fact that there's a taxi involved. But I do enjoy this show. Good potential after this weeks episode.

You're the Worst: The funniest of the lot, this beats the shit out of that other brit in the USA "comedy" featuring Stephan Marshall "Hello Ladies" from earlier this year.

Murder in the First: Not sure what to make of this series. It's watchable but something needs to happen to the young upstart billionaire. It might happen given recent developments and revelations. Let's hope so.

• Like 2

Utopia - S2E4. Strong series - just love it (think its TV Marmite - love it or hate it - I love it (Marmite too biggrin.png))

Nice rundown! I shortened it a bit, because I think "Utopia" is worth to be noted individually (thanks for mentioning it in a previous post!). "Love it or hate it" is right to the point. While I love the show, I nevertheless am willing to admit that it is really, really weird! I think except for Channel 4 there is no other TV-station in the UK that would dare to broadcast it. (They have "Peep Show", too smile.png ).

Iliked utopia so much ,i rewatched series 1 before starting series 2 ,as you said its the "marmite " of tv ,its wierd but then so am i sometimes ,or at least my humour is ,if you like channel 4 shows just google them and they list them all ,many are on the bay , some good shows are this is england ,derek , black mirror (if you like wierd) try them .

• Like 1

Iliked utopia so much ,i rewatched series 1 before starting series 2 ,as you said its the "marmite " of tv ,its wierd but then so am i sometimes ,or at least my humour is ,if you like channel 4 shows just google them and they list them all ,many are on the bay , some good shows are this is england ,derek , black mirror (if you like wierd) try them .

Someone else suggested Black Mirror to me, think I'm going to DL that :) Thanks for the reminder. Derek is that the one with Ricky Gervaise as a slow guy working in an old people's home???

Guilty Pleasure, smacking of Pure Evil: (Elements of a SPOILER for The Bridge, Season 2)

I must confess, I have a bad crush on Franka Potente, who plays that very evil lapsed "Mennonite" (!?!) accountant for the cartel who leaves a trail of blood everywhere she goes. I think I should seek professional help on this. Her body is nothing special (more on this in a minute), and her face will never win a prize. She dresses very weirdly, and she's clearly insane. She would probably scare the Marquis de Sade. The DEA guys even seem leery of her, and Fausto (Cartel Honcho No. 1) seems content to let her wander all over the El Paso area wreaking havoc (haven't seen #3 yet, have cleared all appointments for tonight).

A few years ago she starred in that very strange hyper-speedy German film, Run Lola Run. She was Lola, and was always, running. She was very slim and fit. Now she is rather dumpy, but when she's on screen, no matter what weirdness she is perpetrating, I can't look away. Lyle Lovett seems to know who she is, and isn't freaked out, but then he's a super freak himself.

I need help!

• Like 1

Suits! No Spoilers, relax.

This may be the best season yet, due principally, I believe, to the addition of THREE bad guys: Eric Roberts (He's so twisted he's probably a Founding Member and High Priest in the Eyes Wide Shut Sex Club); Neal McDonaugh (Gives the SEC a bad name, if that were possible), and that trust fund twerp who plays Logan, Mike's Nemesis.

The action of these three cause the show's "heros" to go off in uncharted directions. The only one missing is Hardman, (David Costabile) the disgraced ex-Senior Partner. I have a feeling he'll be back some fine day, if only to torture Jessica again.

Correction on The Bridge: It's Episode 4 I haven't seen yet, and I have just finished dl'ing it. I'm here for you, Franka!

• Like 1

I'm offshore and back to watching "Entourage" Very easy to watch amusing tv.

I'm a fan too. Nothing heavy, just entertaining and fun. The guy who plays "Ari" is brilliant. I was sorry when it ended.

Ari (Jeremy Piven)gave it the extra bit of bite. The finished the movie a few months ago

Old School Greatness: The Rat Pack, Live on Stage, St Louis, 1965

I ran across this full length black and white concert film on youtube last night, which really blew my mind. Frank Sinatra agreed to do a benefit for Dismas House in St. Louis (another Great American City) in '65. Along came Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. to help out. The Count Basie Orchestra and Quincy Jones played backup, and a young Johnny Carson was the emcee. All of these show business legends were in their prime, performing live...no lip sync, no studio touchup. Style and Class to the Max. Dressed to kill, total respect to the audience.

Sammy stole the show, with singing, dancing, freakishly great impressions.

It's Frank's World, we just live in it.

• Like 1

Just watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, a quirky, but witty and entertaining, somewhat meandering Wes Anderson movie with a laundry list of A-list stars in big roles and small. Worth a watch for a few quiet chuckles, but don't knock yourself out, it's not that good, even though has a very high IMDB rating of 8.2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2278388/

Good copy on PB by SaM ERTG, but has hard coded subs.

• Like 1

I'm sticking with Tyrant, even though it's offensive on many levels, and even cartoonish. Adam Rayner is completely unconvincing in his leading role. The woman who plays his wife is even worse. I guess I like watching the crazy family dynamics. I'm sure this is leading to some outrageous monster cliffhanger ending, which is unfortunate, because I'd bet heavy that this show will not be back.

The opening titles/credits are quite beautiful. And Crazy Dictator Jamal's wife is quite an eyeful. It's clear that she is the brains of the outfit.

Why oh why is the latest Rectify taking to long to download?!

• Like 2

Just watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, a quirky, but witty and entertaining, somewhat meandering Wes Anderson movie with a laundry list of A-list stars in big roles and small. Worth a watch for a few quiet chuckles, but don't knock yourself out, it's not that good, even though has a very high IMDB rating of 8.2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2278388/

Good copy on PB by SaM ERTG, but has hard coded subs.

I wasn't crazy about it either. I had watched most of it and the power went out and I lost my "place". I couldn't be bothered to find where I had left off and did not bother watching the end.

I'm sticking with Tyrant, even though it's offensive on many levels, and even cartoonish. Adam Rayner is completely unconvincing in his leading role. The woman who plays his wife is even worse. I guess I like watching the crazy family dynamics. I'm sure this is leading to some outrageous monster cliffhanger ending, which is unfortunate, because I'd bet heavy that this show will not be back.

The opening titles/credits are quite beautiful. And Crazy Dictator Jamal's wife is quite an eyeful. It's clear that she is the brains of the outfit.

Why oh why is the latest Rectify taking to long to download?!

Jamal's wife is poetry in motion... His son's wife is also easy on the eye. I quite like Jamal as a character, I wasn't sure of him after the first episode, but subsequent episodes have impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

TV series: Hannibal and Vikings.

Old TV series but very good: Deadwood

Deadwood is a good example of a series that is written for adults. Very inventive, and poetic writing. Al Swearengen was a cowboy, whorehouse owning sage. True Detective is a bit like that, so far. Really excellent stuff.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am one of the few people who never had much use for "Mad Men". It is not that it is a bad show, I just am not very interested in it and there is too much else to watch. I prefer Halt and Catch Fire, although I have only watched a few episodes.

Mad Men seems a bit like a soap opera. Very pathetic and dysfunctional characters, essentially raining terror on eachother. And a lot of incredibly mediocre looking women, playing seductress types. <deleted>? I just do not get it. Hamm is good in it, but is there a redeeming bone in his body? Tried it here and there and always found each episode painful to sit through.

Spidermike

2 hours of my life I will never get back. Noah, really? Stone transformers? Not quite true to the book. Unutterable tosh!!!

Another Hollywood abomination. The larger the film done by Hollywood, the worse the film will be. The fistfight between superman and the villain in the latest one was beyond ridiculous. One uppercut, and he flies through seven skyscrapers. For a kid between the ages of 6 and 13, not bad probably. For an adult, nothing but pain and suffering. Pompei, 300, Hercules, Noah, all absolute garbage, put out by a group of culturally, and creatively bankrupt Hollywood people. Wow.

Spidermike

• Like 1

Murder in the First: Not sure what to make of this series. It's watchable but something needs to happen to the young upstart billionaire. It might happen given recent developments and revelations. Let's hope so.

I think the show is a bit further down on the food chain. Not that bad, but cannot really offer something out of the ordinary. Easy watching. And something needs to happen? Yes indeed, our little billionaire needs a decent slap in the face by an old and experienced copper who knows how to handle little sh..s like him. Currently, he is my second most hated character after King Geoffrey who sadly has been taken away from us too soon and without warning.

A worthy show simply needs a good hateful character, if only to see him going down. Yes, please! smile.png

I am one of the few people who never had much use for "Mad Men". It is not that it is a bad show, I just am not very interested in it and there is too much else to watch. I prefer Halt and Catch Fire, although I have only watched a few episodes.

Mad Men seems a bit like a soap opera. Very pathetic and dysfunctional characters, essentially raining terror on eachother. And a lot of incredibly mediocre looking women, playing seductress types. <deleted>? I just do not get it. Hamm is good in it, but is there a redeeming bone in his body? Tried it here and there and always found each episode painful to sit through.

Spidermike

Seems, that I represent the minority here.

First, I ignored the show for almost two seasons. A show about advertising did not sound very exciting to me. Then I watched it the first time simply because I had nothing else to do and suddenly, I saw myself drawn back into the 60s. I found it absolutely fascinating how well they caught the atmosphere of that time (as far as I can tell, I remember the 60s only vaguely). The development of society as it became more liberal. The reactions to actual events like the Kennedy assassination, the moon landing, cigarettes suddenly being acknowledged to be unhealthy, smoking and drinking during pregnancy, etc. etc. Well, I like it. But i do get that people would be bored by the show. In the end there is almost no real action. Of course, things happen, but it is mainly the interaction between the characters that matters (and isn't their mutual terror exciting?). But alright, not everybody is into the customs of the 60s.

By the way: Don Draper went out with quite a few girls who were a tiny little bit above average looking, I'd say.smile.png

• Like 1

Tyrant: It's really funny hearing some of the characters speaking what is supposed to be an "Arab" accent (see Jamal's achingly lovely wife) sounding just like the Israelis they actually are, offscreen.

Jamal and Barry/Bassam both have completely worthless sons. That's always the Achilles heel of despotic succession.

The Bridge: OUTRIGHT SPOILER, BEWARE. Go no further if you are not up to date, and fully invested.

Got to see more of Elinor Nacht (my guilty obsession Franka Potente) this week. For a minute it looked like she was going to fall out of the story (NO!!), but she's "safe" for another week. I need to watch each episode at least twice to really see what's happening. So far, we have here:

• The El Paso police plus Marco, following Franka's trail of blood, and now checking out the abrupt departure of the bank guy, his branch fully of cartel cash.
  • The DEA, being cagey and unhelpful. Unclear what their game is...yet.
  • The intrepid, careless reporters, ("El Paso Times, here's my card.") a step ahead of the cops with their investigation of cartel capers and missing Juarez girls.
  • Crazy Sonja, tempting a grim fate, messing around with a dangerous man. There's more to him than meets the eye. Look out, Sonja!
  • The bearded guy with the weird voice who's in love with Eva, also determined to find out what happened to all those girls. (EP cops seem unaware of him.)
  • Distracting comic relief from that old surfer guy and Marco's formerly rich American girlfriend. Why would Fausto work with such an idiot?
  • Lyle Lovett, fading in and out of the picture, purpose uncertain. I keep thinking of his great song, "I Married Her because She Looks Like You."
  • Elinor: what can she possibly do next that's weirder than what she's done already?
  • The straight arrow government lawyer from Mexico City, thinking he's going to clean up the local PD and take down Fausto. Oh yeah.
  • Marco, still haunted by his son's death, now being leaned on both by the lawyer and by Fausto, his boyhood homeboy.

Darkness, darkness! Better and better!

• Like 1

Suits! No Spoilers, relax.

This may be the best season yet, due principally, I believe, to the addition of THREE bad guys: Eric Roberts (He's so twisted he's probably a Founding Member and High Priest in the Eyes Wide Shut Sex Club); Neal McDonaugh (Gives the SEC a bad name, if that were possible), and that trust fund twerp who plays Logan, Mike's Nemesis.

The action of these three cause the show's "heros" to go off in uncharted directions. The only one missing is Hardman, (David Costabile) the disgraced ex-Senior Partner. I have a feeling he'll be back some fine day, if only to torture Jessica again.

Correction on The Bridge: It's Episode 4 I haven't seen yet, and I have just finished dl'ing it. I'm here for you, Franka!

Seems these three have now gone off into uncharted directions and the heroes have gotten back on course except for Mike & Rachel, w/ their MAJOR crisis that's not too convincing. Rachel seems less lawyer material than ever, though she did get a bit of character development. Meghan Markle's acting didn't improve or maybe it's just that she's overly Botoxed. ;)

That said, I like Suits a lot for obvious reasons and always look forward to the next episode.

Interesting contrary viewpoints here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632701/board/nest/232834002

Spidermike

First, I ignored the show for almost two seasons. A show about advertising did not sound very exciting to me. Then I watched it the first time simply because I had nothing else to do and suddenly, I saw myself drawn back into the 60s. I found it absolutely fascinating how well they caught the atmosphere of that time (as far as I can tell, I remember the 60s only vaguely). The development of society as it became more liberal. The reactions to actual events like the Kennedy assassination, the moon landing, cigarettes suddenly being acknowledged to be unhealthy, smoking and drinking during pregnancy, etc. etc. Well, I like it. But i do get that people would be bored by the show. In the end there is almost no real action. Of course, things happen, but it is mainly the interaction between the characters that matters (and isn't their mutual terror exciting?). But alright, not everybody is into the customs of the 60s.

By the way: Don Draper went out with quite a few girls who were a tiny little bit above average looking, I'd say.smile.png

+1. The atmospherics, the mystery that is Don Draper, the distinct characters, realistic business issues, and the challenges of marketing (Don, a brilliant marketer). Don's relationship w/ the wife of the man whose identity he assumed--brilliant scripting there (while it lasted). Soap opera elements, true. It ain't perfect; a lot of series nowadays must somewhat cater to the younger female audience, a minor problem w/ Suits as well. And it's time for Mad Men to end, no question.

On the other hand, I didn't much go for Deadwood, seemed a bit vapid. But, each to his own!

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I've been enjoying "Power" which is a drug gang thing set in NYC. It's along the same lines as Gang related which i am also watching. There's no Golden globes to be hand nor are they reinventing the wheel. It's easy to watch tv if you are into that kind of thing

Spidermike

+1. The atmospherics, the mystery that is Don Draper, the distinct characters, realistic business issues, and the challenges of marketing (Don, a brilliant marketer). Don's relationship w/ the wife of the man whose identity he assumed--brilliant scripting there (while it lasted). Soap opera elements, true. It ain't perfect. And it's time for it to end, no question.

On the other hand, I didn't much go for Deadwood, seemed a bit vapid. But, each to his own!

I've just watched ep1 of series 1. It's got a hold of me from the off...............

• Like 2

Just watched latest episode of. Under the dome it's getting worse as it goes on ,just like they were making it up week by week just to fill in,shame it started well in the first series

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The Bridge: OUTRIGHT SPOILER, BEWARE. Go no further if you are not up to date, and fully invested.

Got to see more of Elinor Nacht (my guilty obsession Franka Potente) this week. For a minute it looked like she was going to fall out of the story (NO!!), but she's "safe" for another week. I need to watch each episode at least twice to really see what's happening. So far, we have here:

• The El Paso police plus Marco, following Franka's trail of blood, and now checking out the abrupt departure of the bank guy, his branch fully of cartel cash.
  • The DEA, being cagey and unhelpful. Unclear what their game is...yet.
  • The intrepid, careless reporters, ("El Paso Times, here's my card.") a step ahead of the cops with their investigation of cartel capers and missing Juarez girls.
  • Crazy Sonja, tempting a grim fate, messing around with a dangerous man. There's more to him than meets the eye. Look out, Sonja!
  • The bearded guy with the weird voice who's in love with Eva, also determined to find out what happened to all those girls. (EP cops seem unaware of him.)
  • Distracting comic relief from that old surfer guy and Marco's formerly rich American girlfriend. Why would Fausto work with such an idiot?
  • Lyle Lovett, fading in and out of the picture, purpose uncertain. I keep thinking of his great song, "I Married Her because She Looks Like You."
  • Elinor: what can she possibly do next that's weirder than what she's done already?
  • The straight arrow government lawyer from Mexico City, thinking he's going to clean up the local PD and take down Fausto. Oh yeah.
  • Marco, still haunted by his son's death, now being leaned on both by the lawyer and by Fausto, his boyhood homeboy.

Darkness, darkness! Better and better!

Agreed and agreed, BUT: I have grave concerns that we reached a turning point of the show. What was that last scene with Elinor Nacht about??? So far we saw an organized crime scenario, brutal and complex with various actors trying to outwit each other. Great stuff and sufficient material for a few more seasons to come. Now, we might be confronted with someone (or something) that could change our perspective completely, similar to season 1 when it "simply" became a personal vendetta by one single person. From that moment on, the complexity was gone. One could concentrate on the motivation of that one character (a nutter, though) and I found that less interesting then trying to see the connections between organized crime, police, corrupt police, media, victims and NGOs (that would be the bearded guy, whom I like dearly). I hope the last scene adds to the complexity and does not make it a "single motivation case". Otherwise, I think the scene is linked to the opening of season 2. I bet I am right!