What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Nightcrawler (2014)

Past the oil pumps and billboards, up through the hills and out in the suburbs, you’ll find Lou Bloom, camera in hand, filming LA’s dying for profit. Lou is a modern-day success story. A TV newsman racing through the night to get the gore first. Come the morning his footage is on breakfast news.

Review here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nightcrawler

I watched this last night.

A reasonable film that kept me interested, though nothing particularly exciting. I have to admit to liking the ending. I would maybe give the film a 6.0 simply because it kept me entertained.

• Like 1

suits , whilst mike ross and co begin to irritate and seem slightly over played, Donna is just f---cking,,, wow, what a girl, thank the f-c none of my

g/fs have been anything like her,,,,w00t.gif

The tension in the Americans is building wonderfully towards its , i believe conclusion

As is Nashville but not quite so nicely, more soaply, unfortunately

And from the big screen 'love is strange' a tale of a long term couple that hit a particularity hard patch in their life and how they try to work through it. empatheticaly made with some touching performances,,,. and b4 you say ,,, BUT,, who gives a fuc it was a good movie.

Edited by rijit

Rise:

Another Aussie movie which is quite good.

I liked it a fair bit more than the IMDB score of 5.2

Thought Martin Sacks was superb.

Based on a true story.

IMDB: Will McIntyre, a young nurse has his life thrown in turmoil after a one-night stand lands

him in a maximum security prison from a false allegation of rape and drink spiking. Will must

survive prison life and the infamous Jimmy Cove while awaiting his appeal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3213622/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I am a big fan of prison films like this, but I thought the IMDB rating was not far off. One problem for me, is that I did not understand the accents and slang to the point that I was not completely clear what was going on some of the time. The characters and situations did not seem believable either, but maybe the Aussie prison culture is responsible for that. I still would have wanted to watch it because I like the genre, but I thought it was a weak effort.

This is one that I liked better:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0204137/

It was originally a book by Edward Bunker who served many years in hard-core penitentiaries and has published a number of books on crime, criminals and doing time.

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Factory-Novel-Edward-Bunker/dp/0312267118

I'm a big fan of prison movies as well mate.

My top 3 prison movies in order:

1. cool hand luke (favourite movie of all time)

2. shawshank redemption &

3. papillion

• Like 2

I like all of those too. My only criticism would be that the book of Papillion was so much better than the film. The director concentrated almost exclusively on the negative aspects of the story, but the book had a lot of joy mixed in with the despair. That made it a lot more interesting IMHO.

Some other films:

Midnight Express

The Green Mile

Get the Gringo

Escape From Alcatraz

Felon

TV Shows:

Oz

Prison Break

Yep

I loved the book and sequal Banco.

Best way to wreck a movie is to read the book first I think.

Also, honourable mentions for Chopper and Brubaker.

Banco was good, but I kept thinking about what an idiot he was getting back into crime again after all he went through and how lucky he was to escape.

I have read some of the Chopper books, but did not know that there was a film. I will have to check it out. Thanks! wai.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Banco was good, but I kept thinking about what an idiot he was getting back into crime again after all he went through and how lucky he was to escape.

I have read some of the Chopper books, but did not know that there was a film. I will have to check it out. Thanks! wai.gif

There is plenty of blood in the film

How about Shawshank Redemption?

There is plenty of blood in the film

How about Shawshank Redemption?

See post #3489wink.png

• Like 1

Caught up with Kingsman: The Secret Service.

Jingthing will be happy that this one is currently showing in Thai cinemas. Well worth 100-200 baht to see it on the big screen.

It is the standard fantastical action teen saves world movie, but quite well done. Lots of action, fights, gizmos, implausible plotlines. If you get out of your seat for 2 minutes you miss a lot.

8/10 from me

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kingsman_the_secret_service/

• Like 2

Babysitting.(2014)

This one is a French comedy. The one i watched was subtitled.

Franck is roped into minding his bosses bratty child at a moment's notice. The kid gets up to mischief of course, as do Franck and a few of his friends. The plot is old, but this movie is done differently and was a refreshing take in the formula. Good laughs

7/10 from me

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3013602/

• Like 2

thought that series 4 of scandal was turning into another unstructured core less us drama and was on the point ,in fact did stopped watching it but fair play too the writers/ producers theyve turned it around. In a bored mo I caught up with it, and by episode 9,imo, it's back to its best, still somewhat far fetched but , still gripping and intense enuf to make it imo very a v v watchable drama.

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1