What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

I watched every episode of The Honourable Woman, just to show I wasn't going to be intimidated by a plot that seemed to be soaring far above my head. Fortunately, good old Stephen Rea, doing his venerable George Smiley routine, popped up every now and again to give us all a synopsis of what has been happening, as he interviews various principal players.

If you're going to do a John leCarre-like story, why not hire the Great One Himself to write you a real one? This one dragged unnecessarily in so many places. It could have been edited down to six tight episodes, and been much better.

Frank James , where's Jessie ! you just robbed anyone reading your post of enjoying the last few episodes , YOU need to edit out or spoiler alert at the top!

Your info definitely spoils the twist in the story...shame on you Frank , wait til Ma finds out !!!

I erased it from your quote box above , you should erase that part too!

I watched every episode of The Honourable Woman, just to show I wasn't going to be intimidated by a plot that seemed to be soaring far above my head. Fortunately, good old Stephen Rea, doing his venerable George Smiley routine, popped up every now and again to give us all a synopsis of what has been happening, as he interviews various principal players.

If you're going to do a John leCarre-like story, why not hire the Great One Himself to write you a real one? This one dragged unnecessarily in so many places. It could have been edited down to six tight episodes, and been much better.

Frank James , where's Jessie ! you just robbed anyone reading your post of enjoying the last few episodes , YOU need to edit out or spoiler alert at the top!

Your info definitely spoils the twist in the story...shame on you Frank , wait til Ma finds out !!!

I erased it from your quote box above , you should erase that part too!

I'm sorry if what I wrote was perceived to be a spoiler. It was not my intention at all. I didn't reveal any plot points, only commented that Stephen Rea was doing all of us less "gifted" viewers a favor by telling us the meaning of what we had been watching, and wondering about.

I'm still wondering what you you think was a spoiler. I just gave my overall impression of the show. I'll try to be more careful. Is it a spoiler to say I think Maggie G was a dead wrong pick to play Nessa? Oh wait, was it when I said she cried a lot? Or that the show could have been tightened down to a BBC short run of six, if they hadn't had so many lingering spots of nothing happening?

Meanwhile, there's still Tyrant, if you're looking for even more ridiculous portrayals of Middle East intrigue. It's so bad, I am addicted.

Best regards to all fellow Telly Fiends. These threads are a lot of fun.

Just downloaded and watched any human heart ,with jim Broadbent ,a four part minisieries about a guys life and loves throughout his life ,the wife sat through 4 hours of it and loved it ,to be honest so did i , 8/10

• Like 2

Just finished episode 1 of HBO's Getting On.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2342652/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

From IMDB: Set in a geriatric extended care wing of a down-at-the-heels hospital, Getting

On follows put-upon nurses, anxious doctors and administrators as they struggle with the darkly

comic, brutally honest and quietly compassionate realities of caring for the elderly.

Based on the English version of the same name.

Was disappointed to be honest. I admit to being a bit tired while watching, but not too many

laughs for me.

Derek starring Ricky Gervais, which is set at an old peoples home was far superior.

• Like 1

I just watched the complete season 4 of "The Killing".

Rating the show is easy: if you liked season 1-3, you will probably like season 4, too (I did). If you did not like the previous seasons, then better stay away from this one as well.

Season 4 picks up where season 3 ended. And the final event of that season affects Holder and Linden quite severely. Linden was mental anyway and Holder being an addict does not help either. In addition they have to deal with another rough case: a family has been slaughtered with only a 17 year old boy surviving the massacre and he cannot remember anything.

The setting and the atmosphere is not so gray-Scandinavian-fall as in the previous seasons but still rainy enough to feel uncomfortable (do they have a 12 month rainy season in Seattle?). I found the murder case sufficiently interesting and I liked the ending quite a bit. Unfortunately, the show does not close down with solving the case. Instead, they tell how Linden and Holder continue with their lives. Particularly in the light of season three and how that ended, I would have preferred a different, more realistic ending and later on less music in the foreground. A bit cheesy, I thought. But that's just me.

All in all, I enjoyed season 4 and would not have minded another season. Cheesy or not, it has an ending and there are no cliffhangers that leave us guessing.

Just finished Season 4 myself. It gradually sucked me in and I just had to see the last couple of episodes back-to-back. Great treat for fans of the first 3 seasons.

I agree the ending or post-ending seemed a bit unlikely and contrived. However, if this is indeed THE final final season, then it seemed to add confirmation of the fact. As finality and separation seem rather sad, however, the ending lent some hope and optimism of a personal continuation of this iconic (to fans anyway) team who'd been through so much together. As you implied, the intention might better have been accomplished w/ a lighter touch. Still, I couldn't help feeling moved (yep, against all resistance) and have to say I appreciate the effort. There were some good lines in that epilogue.

I think The Killing is one of those series I'll watch again someday, and there have been very few of those.

I just caught up with Season 1 of The Killing, the US version. For those who don't know the US series is a remake of the original Danish series.

I started to watch this a couple of years back and I was not in the mind set for the show for whatever reason.

Well, I am glad i caught up with it again prompted by the above posts. Excellent series! 13 part season 1 following the case of a murdered girl.

A solid 7.5 maybe 8 from me

• Like 2

Rating the show is easy: if you liked season 1-3, you will probably like season 4, too (I did). If you did not like the previous seasons, then better stay away from this one as well.

Season 4 picks up where season 3 ended. And the final event of that season affects Holder and Linden quite severely. Linden was mental anyway and Holder being an addict does not help either. In addition they have to deal with another rough case: a family has been slaughtered with only a 17 year old boy surviving the massacre and he cannot remember anything.

The setting and the atmosphere is not so gray-Scandinavian-fall as in the previous seasons but still rainy enough to feel uncomfortable (do they have a 12 month rainy season in Seattle?). I found the murder case sufficiently interesting and I liked the ending quite a bit. Unfortunately, the show does not close down with solving the case. Instead, they tell how Linden and Holder continue with their lives. Particularly in the light of season three and how that ended, I would have preferred a different, more realistic ending and later on less music in the foreground. A bit cheesy, I thought. But that's just me.

All in all, I enjoyed season 4 and would not have minded another season. Cheesy or not, it has an ending and there are no cliffhangers that leave us guessing.

Just finished Season 4 myself. It gradually sucked me in and I just had to see the last couple of episodes back-to-back. Great treat for fans of the first 3 seasons.

I agree the ending or post-ending seemed a bit unlikely and contrived. However, if this is indeed THE final final season, then it seemed to add confirmation of the fact. As finality and separation seem rather sad, however, the ending lent some hope and optimism of a personal continuation of this iconic (to fans anyway) team who'd been through so much together. As you implied, the intention might better have been accomplished w/ a lighter touch. Still, I couldn't help feeling moved (yep, against all resistance) and have to say I appreciate the effort. There were some good lines in that epilogue.

I think The Killing is one of those series I'll watch again someday, and there have been very few of those.

I just caught up with Season 1 of The Killing, the US version. For those who don't know the US series is a remake of the original Danish series.

I started to watch this a couple of years back and I was not in the mind set for the show for whatever reason.

Well, I am glad i caught up with it again prompted by the above posts. Excellent series! 13 part season 1 following the case of a murdered girl.

I tried to like this show, but couldn't... Now currently on Season 3 on Fox and it's still not doing anything. Perhaps I was looking for a bit too much out of it.

• Like 1

I tried to like this show, but couldn't... Now currently on Season 3 on Fox and it's still not doing anything. Perhaps I was looking for a bit too much out of it.

Yep, I couldn't get into it the first time i watched it a while back

I am really enjoying The Knick, which just showed episode 3. I do wish they would slip a bit more light onto the scenes. I know it's the earliest days of electric lighting, but it's so dark, it's like watching the 94th rerun of Dawn of the Dead on Chiang Mai's own WETV.

• Like 2

Plot can be annoying and lost a lot of fans after the 1st season. Generally speaking, you don't long to see the next episode a la Breaking Bad. Partly that's cause you realize the next episode is going to meander and jerk you around once again. I guess the main appeal lies in some of the characters and performances, in particular the two main characters--their imperfections, quirks, situations, and attempted teamwork amid the frustrations. The gloomy atmosphere works well with the gloomy themes. (Something that made the epilogue of Season 4 jarring: what's this little ray of sunshine doing here of all places? But Season 4 was obviously rushed, a bit perfunctory, and near the end even pulled a rabbit out o' the hat. Groan!)

From IMDB: Set in a geriatric extended care wing of a down-at-the-heels hospital, Getting

On follows put-upon nurses, anxious doctors and administrators as they struggle with the darkly

comic, brutally honest and quietly compassionate realities of caring for the elderly.

Was disappointed to be honest. I admit to being a bit tired while watching, but not too many

laughs for me.

A buddy highly recommended it, but 10 minutes was enough for me. There are too many choices these days.

• Like 1

Plot can be annoying and lost a lot of fans after the 1st season. Generally speaking, you don't long to see the next episode a la Breaking Bad. Partly that's cause you realize the next episode is going to meander and jerk you around once again. I guess the main appeal lies in some of the characters and performances, in particular the two main characters--their imperfections, quirks, situations, and attempted teamwork amid the frustrations. The gloomy atmosphere works well with the gloomy themes. (Something that made the epilogue of Season 4 jarring: what's this little ray of sunshine doing here of all places? But Season 4 was obviously rushed, a bit perfunctory, and near the end even pulled a rabbit out o' the hat. Groan!)

The two central detective characters and their individual foibles are the glue and driving force of the show, but I don't mind the meandering direction. You are kept guessing as to what the hell is going on!

• Like 1

laughs for me.

Derek starring Ricky Gervais, which is set at an old peoples home was far superior.

sorry but whenever the Americans try to copy a British show they always ruin it
  • Like 2

Hmmm, my initial thought is "Shameless." You don't like the U.S. version?

no not really,sorry, which does not mean I dont like American shows some are fantastic, one us copy I did like was the one with the ghost,the vampire and the werewolf,very good copy

laughs for me.

I didn't like British version of Getting On either. I tried to watch that first.

I loved All In The Family, but never saw the British version.

I didn't like either version of The Office. I don't enjoy "cringing", because the main character is such a twit.

I like the American version of Shameless better - probably because of William Macy, but they are both good.

Re: British Shows, US Ripoffs

I heard that Veep is sort of a US take on The Thick of It, with the same people being in charge of the production. I watched one Veep and that was enough. Not a Julia fan. The Thick of It, and the movie In the Loop, were all time great. Malcolm and Jamie! "When ah tell yew to f--- of, then it's Off yew will f---!" "Laurel and <deleted> Hardy! Glad you could join us. Did you manage to get that piano up the stairs OK?"

I tried watching the original Bron (the Bridge, Danish), and couldn't get into it. The Tunnel (UK) was excellent, and I'm hoping it will return. The Bridge (US) is slowly getting almost as good (I said almost!) as Breaking Bad. Sacrilege, I realize.

Bad Remake/Transplant Ideas Dept: Supposedly Broadchurch is being turned out in an American version, set in a small N. California seaside town, the Same Story, starring the SAME GUY who played the lead cop with the bad heart, only this time he's American. WHY??? They could have played this show in the US as-is and it could have been at least a minor hit.

Low Winter Sun: starred two great British actors, Mark Strong and Lennie James, as Detroit detectives, who spent the whole series on the wrong side of the law. Strong played the same role in the original British series, which must have been pretty good, but I haven't been able to find it. Strange that AMC renewed Halt and Catch Fire, with its basement level ratings, but dumped this show. Maybe Strong had a lot of better opportunities. He's always good. And maybe Lennie James will someday get to play an honest person. He was also a bad cop in Line of Duty, season one, another fine British series.

I heard that Veep is sort of a US take on The Thick of It, with the same people being in charge of the production. I watched one Veep and that was enough. Not a Julia fan. The Thick of It, and the movie In the Loop, were all time great. Malcolm and Jamie! "When ah tell yew to f--- of, then it's Off yew will f---!" "Laurel and <deleted> Hardy! Glad you could join us. Did you manage to get that piano up the stairs OK?"

Veep gets better each series, IMO

The most recent Series 3 was by far the best. Some great laughs

I have tried veep a few times and wanted to like it ,but just cant get into it ,shame . you do realize Bookman by discussing all these shows all of us come over as a load of sad old farts who do nothing here in Thailand but watch tvrolleyes.gif when in fact i am sure we are nothing of the sort ,i know i am not.

• Like 1

I also see a sequal for The Inbetweeners has been released at the cinema... This first wasn't as funny as the TV series and the 2nd is based in Australia, not too sure, could be quite funny...

This one is out there now.

As our Mr Smith says, on The Bay of Pirates.

Seek and ye shall find argh maties... Buried treasure et al... arrghh... Oh wait, it's not talk like a pirate day today is it... Damnit...

:D

• Like 1

I have tried veep a few times and wanted to like it ,but just cant get into it ,shame . you do realize Bookman by discussing all these shows all of us come over as a load of sad old farts who do nothing here in Thailand but watch tvrolleyes.gif when in fact i am sure we are nothing of the sort ,i know i am not.

iclaudius, I watch a lot of the shows while I am doing something else on the computer. Half screen for the video and half screen for Chrome/Word/Excel program. Same with Thaivisa really. It sits open while I am doing whatever I am doing on the computer

If I find a show I really enjoy I'll watch it on the larger TV screen.

I had the latest X-men running before but it was so boring i closed it

• Like 2

iclaudius, I watch a lot of the shows while I am doing something else on the computer. Half screen for the video and half screen for Chrome/Word/Excel program. Same with Thaivisa really. It sits open while I am doing whatever I am doing on the computer

If I find a show I really enjoy I'll watch it on the larger TV screen.

I had the latest X-men running before but it was so boring i closed it

Yup that's the way I do it as well, laptop on oneside and desktop on the other... If it's worth watching again I'll bang it on the big screen at home later with the wife... Suits for example, I generally watch 2-3 times. Once in the office and once at home with wifey - that way I can prepare for the inevitable questions about who, what, why, where and why again :P

• Like 2

Intruders

New series about people seeking immortality by nicking other peoples bodies.

Saw the first episode, not too promising. Stereotypical; the ending degenerated into Chucky. I'll give it one more episode to show something new. And I'm a fan of SF. Similarly Extant proved disappointing. More sex w/ Halle Berry would've spiced it up a bit at least. That fully dressed scene w/ the alien didn't cut it. Too late now!

Too bad Suits & Rectify ended. Great series, great endings though.

Leaves nothing current in which I have much of an interest. Satisfaction--nothing great but watchable. Ray Donovan--holding up well but too much focus on the daughter now w/ stereotypical subplot reminiscent of Californication and Homeland.

Leaves nothing current in which I have much of an interest. Satisfaction--nothing great but watchable. Ray Donovan--holding up well but too much focus on the daughter now w/ stereotypical subplot reminiscent of Californication and Homeland.

Not sure about Rectify, but Suits is just on a break, back in "winter" and as I mentioned earlier in the thread it has also been renewed for a 5th season.

Satisfaction isn't half bad, quite enjoy it, very similar to Californication, Ray's a bit more of an extreme version of Californication - &lt;deleted&gt; they're a disfunctional lot. Just in case some on this thread find what I'm about to say as a spoiler... Here it comes...

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED HIT THE PAGE DOWN FUNCTION... NOW!

Quote of the episode from Ray: "Conor wanted the family, Conor got the family" pretty much summed it up.

• Like 2

Those were my two current favorites, but Ray Donovan is right up there. Do far, I really like The Strain and watch it as soon as it comes out. I am still enjoying Tyrant too.

I wonder when Sons of Anarchy starts again. That is one of my favorites of all time.

Those were my two current favorites, but Ray Donovan is right up there. Do far, I really like The Strain and watch it as soon as it comes out. I am still enjoying Tyrant too.

I wonder when Sons of Anarchy starts again. That is one of my favorites of all time.

Final seasons of SoA starts next month, date I'm not sure but will be early as Fox or Universal is advertising they'll be showing it same day or some such BS starting September 12... So it'll probably be a week before that...

• Like 2

Final seasons of SoA starts next month, date I'm not sure but will be early as Fox or Universal is advertising they'll be showing it same day or some such BS starting September 12... So it'll probably be a week before that...

That TV show is as believable as Star Wars. I had high hopes for it. It's awful,acting, too far fetched story lines.

Yet I watch every season of it haha

• Like 1