Children must be trained on how to avoid danger: experts

rooster59

Children must be trained on how to avoid danger: experts

By The Nation

c6db83b48c843d52e018102afad64d84.jpeg

TRAGIC FALL OF THREE KIDS IN BALCONY COLLAPSE SEEN AS WAKE-UP CALL FOR PARENTS

THE COUNTRY needs to learn a lesson from the recent tragic fall of four unattended children from their rented apartment in Bangkok, experts emphasised yesterday.

Associate Professor Adisak Plitapolkarnpim, who heads the Mahidol University’s National Institute for Child and Family Development, said the tragedy could have been avoided had these children received help or proper training.

9c096ee0f1daa96433306bf9dd6bb718.jpeg

On Tuesday, four Thai-Swiss siblings fell from a fourth-floor balcony to the ground outside a five-storey apartment building. The accident killed one five-year-old boy and injured three other siblings, while their mother was out working. The mother had separated from their father.

The children were between five and 11 years old.

“The oldest is just 11 and she has to care of three younger siblings. In principle, the children will be able to live alone when they reach the age of 12 if they receive training,” Adisak said.

He pointed out that children, for example, should be trained about what to do in the event of an emergency and about how to avoid possible danger.

According to their grandfather, it is very likely the youngsters were trying to collect a dish that had fallen into a net next to the balcony when a section of the balcony gave way.

“Things would have been different had they not tried to collect the dish by themselves,” Adisak said.

918d36b05162af5f19c3c77f100a9336.jpeg

He said his centre had conducted a project to equip children with safety skills starting from the age of 10 years. “Children should have been taught these skills in the event they have to stay home alone,” he said.

Adisak also emphasised that had teachers and neighbours alerted authorities about the children being unattended, they would have received help and the tragedy could have been prevented.

“Teachers should go visiting their students at home to see how they are doing. If they are alone at such a young age, give them help,” he said.

This expert also pointed out that relevant authorities must provide clear information to parents on how they could seek help when having to leave their children unattended.

“If you find children unattended at night, call 1300,” Adisak said.

He said parents were by law required to ensure a safe and sound environment for their children, in the event they had to leave their children unattended.

“Failure to do so is punishable by a jail term of up to three months and/or a fine of Bt30,000,” he said.

He added that parents who brought their young children to a nursery must not be complacent either.

“Check if your children have sustained any wound when they come back home. Call 1300 if you find a serious or suspicious wound,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30344627

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-05

5 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

He said parents were by law required to ensure a safe and sound environment for their children, in the event they had to leave their children unattended.

That must in this case only regard the mother, and possibly her side of grandparents, due to that she and them pushed away the appearently so much needed help from the childrens father during over 4 years. Even if this is very sad and tragic, stupidity must be set at a limit so it is not allowed to deteriate normal brain function.

5 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Things would have been different had they not tried to collect the dish by themselves,” Adisak said

So, here we have a 10 year old and an 11 year old. When we read the news, an expert states that children can be able to live on their own at an age of 12 if they get the prober training and education from parents. In this case the mother and her side of the fimily must have been failing that misarably. They did not even manage to tech the older children to understand to not crawl out after a plate or to tell their younger sister and borther to not do. My 5 year old daugther would have known to take a stick or something else to get the plate safely inside. If she could not manage, she would just have left the plate their and told me later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I would consider myself as fairly well travelled and nowhere, nowhere have I seen or heard of more balcony accidents/mishaps as in Thailand............. Anyone?

Never heard of so many balcony incidents either.....jumping, falling, pushed....almost everyday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Kids in my village are left to roam around like the soi dogs.no patenting skills from the mothers and the fathers,well say no more on that one.none are taught to swim and we hear every year about drowning as there many lakes around here.weve got a public pool in our village that always empty.all let loose on scooters as soon as they can learn to start one up.they all love to pop out kids but forget when it comes to maintainance.the only ones that are safe are the ones they've got working where they are too busy to get up to any mischief.usually it the eldest daughter who gets promoted to being the mother as in this case.all talk from the government of wind.

Looks to me like you found the worst village in Thailand. While it´s very fun to exaggerate ti the most hillarious limits, you must try to keep youself to a little bit of truth.
I am quite sure that most of the parents or grandparents looking after children in the village are fairly good to even good at doing that. You, on the other hand, have choosen two possible options:

1. Only to be irritated and only see everything bad, so that you can complain all the time and make your own and other peoples life miserable.

2. Just do like so many other that comes here. You see yourself as a superior, and everyone around you is upholding a lower quality regarding everything in life.

Surely, if you sit down and think it over, you can find out that at least 50% of the families do take care. You just missed it in your hunt to find something to complain on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Adisak also emphasised that had teachers and neighbours alerted authorities about the children being unattended, they would have received help and the tragedy could have been prevented.

“Teachers should go visiting their students at home to see how they are doing. If they are alone at such a young age, give them help,” he said.

Doesn't Thailand have a social service? If a teacher has suspicions of a child being mis-treated or left home alone then usual in the U.K they contact the social services department. They will then send a social worker to the childs address and find out the details. It is not the job of a teacher to sort out the childs welfare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main problem and this is not Thai bashing,but in my six years living here,is that Thai's seem to have little grasp on what could potentially cause a hazard,for instance the iron girders that nearly speared that driver the other day,they don't seem to look at things and think now what if this happened[ the lift mechanic crushed,surely if chocks had been in place he would have survived].  

I also agree on lack of supervision, kids of ten on motorbikes is crazy,as is the construction of a rickety wooden platform on a fourth floor balcony.

• Like 2

I was wondering when some so called educated adult would step up and somehow try to blame the children for this tragedy and sure enough along come the claimed "experts" and make this stupid statement.

I think it is time for the press to either not print (deleted) like this or print it and call it out for what it is, there are too many "supposed" educated idiots in this country so full of their own importance and want to be heard, someone needs to call them out and shut them up.

Now every parent in the country thinks it's ok to leave young children locked up on their own.

disgraceful  

Edited by smedly

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

The main problem and this is not Thai bashing,but in my six years living here,is that Thai's seem to have little grasp on what could potentially cause a hazard,for instance the iron girders that nearly speared that driver the other day,they don't seem to look at things and think now what if this happened[ the lift mechanic crushed,surely if chocks had been in place he would have survived].  

I also agree on lack of supervision, kids of ten on motorbikes is crazy,as is the construction of a rickety wooden platform on a fourth floor balcony.

It's called forward thinking as well as the law of cause and effect, not very evident in these parts!

• Like 2

It is the parents that need more training not the children. In most family's  in rural areas it is the grandparents who raise the children while the parents travel away to work. Thai parents do not actually raise their own children the grandparents do. 

In the West parents never leave their children no matter how poor they are. Although sometimes the father goes away to work but a mother would never neglect her family and this means children come first. Sadly in Thailand money comes first and children often have to fend for themselves or they are left with elderly grandparents who cannot cope with energetic youngsters

All this about Thai families being close and taking care of each other is a load of bullshit. Thais take care of their elders but that is all  

Edited by johncat1

40 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

It is the parents that need more training not the children. In most family's  in rural areas it is the grandparents who raise the children while the parents travel away to work. Thai parents do not actually raise their own children the grandparents do. 

In the West parents never leave their children no matter how poor they are. Although sometimes the father goes away to work but a mother would never neglect her family and this means children come first. Sadly in Thailand money comes first and children often have to fend for themselves or they are left with elderly grandparents who cannot cope with energetic youngsters

All this about Thai families being close and taking care of each other is a load of bullshit. Thais take care of their elders but that is all  

Not quite correct.

In the west many parents, married single or living together DO leave their children alone. If you don't believe me read most local newspapers or the BBC News websites and it happens somewhere on a daily or weekly basis.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/nspcc-warning-coventry-parents-over-13343281

https://www.burtonmail.co.uk/news/burton-news/shock-figures-show-more-more-275988

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11498123/Arrests-for-leaving-kids-home-alone-made-every-day.html

https://www.churchill.com/press-office/releases/2016/a-generation-of-children-alone-in-the-home

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/childrens-services/families/parent-support/children-out-alone.htm

There are many more pages of them. All I did was Google children left alone in the UK and got to Page 3 of about 24,200,000 results (0.50 seconds) and found those.