French couple arrested over theft of iPhone in Chiang Mai

rooster59

French couple arrested over theft of iPhone in Chiang Mai

31891035_1879437152068440_1763641012007206912_n.jpg.6634d5d935bd4a890821b882b8c2f4fb.jpg

Police have arrested a French couple in connection with the theft of an iPhone in Chiang Mai.

The pair were arrested just 10 minutes before their plane was due to depart Chiang Mai on Saturday morning.

Police had been searching for the couple after CCTV footage of them stealing an iPhone from an office area near the Tha Pae gate in Chiang Mai was shared to Facebook on Friday.

Poster Pholsomsuk Paisarn said that the foreigners came into the office wanting to use the toilets. Moments before a staff member had left her iPhone on a sofa while she went off to do something in another room.

The video - in two clips - showed the man cover the phone with a bag then later place it in a backpack.

A 5,000 baht reward was offered for the return of the phone.

31950439_1879639348714887_770587385682460672_o.jpg

Image: Pholsomsuk Paisarn - A French man and woman centre wearing white and pink t-shirts photographed after being arrested at Chiang Mai airport on Saturday

On Saturday afternoon, Sanook reported that the couple had been arrested at Chiang Mai airport.

Police were able to trace the couple, who still had possession of the stolen phone, by using the Find My iPhone feature to reveal the location of the iPhone.

Sanook said the couple were French teachers aged in their 50s and that they were refusing to cooperate with Thai police, saying they would only speak to French embassy officials.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-06

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Sanook said the couple were French teachers aged in their 50s and that they were refusing to cooperate with Thai police, saying they would only speak to French embassy officials.

Throw them in the slammer whilst waiting for the French embassy officials to appear.

lol...Im sure the French embassy staff ( well the French Consul in CM anyway) are going to bend over backwards to get em out of this.

It will be "here is a list of lawyers that you should contact and we will come back and see you in a week or 2"

Why do people who do idiotic things think that it is the embassies job to get em out of the <deleted> they got themselves into.

Now we all can let out a sigh of relief that the arch criminals were caught

and the country is back to be what it was before this heinous crime, a

lawful and obedient country...

I am glad that this pair of lowlifes have been caught. I wonder how long it will be until the Embassy explain to them that there is no help coming from them and that they are about to enjoy a 12 month extension to their holiday in Thailand, sadly for them of course, at a hotel with no stars, and where the bellboys will be somewhat lippy.:smile:

More quality west European tourists.

Seriously though many of these pieces of trash get a free pass because of where they hail from.

If you steal..you are a thief.

Thieves are criminals and should be turfed out poste haste.

Thailand has enough of its problems without having to deal with this detritus from overseas

3 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

More quality west European tourists.

Seriously though many of these pieces of trash get a free pass because of where they hail from.

If you steal..you are a thief.

Thieves are criminals and should be turfed out poste haste.

Thailand has enough of its problems without having to deal with this detritus from overseas

Well for once i agree with you.

Your last paragraph is a little perplexing though, as you are always spouting on about how perfect things are here, yet here you are saying Thailand has enough problems, bit of a change coming from you.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Now we all can let out a sigh of relief that the arch criminals were caught

and the country is back to be what it was before this heinous crime, a

lawful and obedient country...

What exact point are you attempting to make, what a weird post, I am certain if you had your 1200EURO iPhone stolen by these scumbags you'd be wanting them caught and punished, a crime is a crime

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Let the buggers rot, they wouldnt co-operate with the police.

They will only speak to embassy officials, good that should take a while, give them time to ponder their disgusting act.

they probably speak louder to make themselves understood as well.

Not sure what these two are hoping to achieve !!
They were caught fair and square , the video showed that they never, for a split second, considered finding the owner and immediately proceeded to steal the iPhone.

Now, by refusing to cooperate they are going to make matters worse and no doubt will become “ stars “ in their home country as the video becomes viral.

Good !, I say ! , dig your heels in !, turn this into an international incident !!
Let’s make sure that this video is shown worldwide and all your family and friends can see you for what you are !!

A pair of disgraceful scumbags !!

( rant over)

this is a very professional pair of thieves..you notice how they work together ,as if it was second nature, to imediatly cover the phone ,while taking a minute to survey the situation...disgusting

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The pair were arrested just 10 minutes before their plane was due to depart Chiang Mai on Saturday morning.

Hahahaha haha haha! :cheesy: Good for them! They deserve it. :smile:

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Bad manor and arrogant attitude too. I just hope they can make an example out of them. Unfortunately it will not happen, but I hope they could get 3 month ad a fine of 30-50K.

What's with the group photo? Looks like a company picnic shot. 

I can't believe that all the people in the photo had something to do with this case. Interesting to see all these BiB taking credit for a "find my phone" app on all iPhones. Sure beats doing police work. 

Sorry but I do not understand ? They took a phone that they found somewhere without anybody around, but it is considered as a theft ? It's not like if they took if from somebody bag or pocket.

Also, what do you expect that would happen ? They just paid the fine and took their plane back home !

They didn't kill anybody or didn't carry drug.

Archived