What's your resting heart rate?

simon43

Your resting heart rate (typically measured when you wake up after a good night's rest) can indicate your level of fitness and trials have indicated that a high heart rate is linked to a higher risk of death. Your resting heart rate normal range will vary, according to your level of fitness, age and gender.

This is a table of normal-range resting heart rates:

https://www.belmarrahealth.com/resting-heart-rate-chart-factors-influence-heart-rate-elderly/

(That same chart is reproduced on many websites - I don't promote the supplements on that linked website).

Over the last 12 months or so, I have measured my resting heart rate as I've improved my cardio health and stamina.

Currently, my resting heart rate has dropped from about 70 bpm (March 2017) to a low 47 bpm, and it continues to slowly decrease as I maintain and increase my daily cardio exercise.

Actually, for my age (59), 47 is off the chart! But it seems to indicate a very good level of fitness.

Important to note that there is also a medical condition (Bradycardia) which causes a low and potentially dangerous heart-rate. Be sure (by having a comprehensive and annual heart health check), that your low heart rate is due to your good level of physical fitness, and not due to Bradycardia.

Actually bradycardia simple means a slow heart rate, defined as a rate below 60/min.

As long as it is over 40, and not accompanied by any other abnormality of the heart rhythm, it is called "sinus bradycardia" and not only is not necessarily a sign of anything wrong but can actually result from being unusually fit.

It is also very commonly encountered in people taking beta blockers.

Below 40 is another matter, definitely abnormal as the sinus node (natural pacemaker of the heart) will not go below 40.

For anyone with a heart rate under 60, need to count for a full minute to get an accurate rate.

• Thanks 1

My resting heart rate was 100+, and it is  80 since I started  beta blockers 15 years ago. I am now 58.

I was able to do everything as a normal person. Running, swimming etc before having fibromyalgia in my left leg 3 years ago..  I used to jog along the beach  from Pattaya Tai to Pattaya Nue and back, 5km round trip.

resting 60, going as fast as I can uphill 182.

My HR for running fast as I can used to be about 183 last year. Now, after 12 months of jogging and hill jogging (on a treadmill and on the road), it gets to about 166 bpm after 10 Km (1 hour).

The treadmill cross-country/hill programs are a good way (for me) to improve my stamina.
  • Like 1

no offense, but it's just a   pop statement,  as long as your numbers are in mid range,   it's not any kind of goal,  those fitbit things are just nonsense toys IMO

same thing goes for people running marathons, and promoting as such a great thing to have done.......

average viewer here, I would guess is middleage plus .....  one should get 150 of moderate exercise 60-80% of target heart rate, 3-5 days/ week ; and do some moderate strength training , eat balanced diet,   etc , then whatever the numbers  are  is what they are .     in fact for those 70+ are very commonly on betablockers to protect the heart from further CHF damage,  which was counterintuitive till I guess some time in the 1970s ..... now it confounds using HR as a measure of activity,    so  we use  something  called   RPE  and METs maybe

6 minutes ago, chubby said:

same thing goes for people running marathons, and promoting as such a great thing to have done.......

average viewer here, I would guess is middleage plus .....  

I'm 62, last month I ran 7x half marathons in 2 weeks. This month 4x 25km MTB rides every week.

(rain has stopped me trail running)

Age is no excuse for inactivity. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2018 at 9:03 AM, simon43 said:

The treadmill cross-country/hill programs are a good way (for me) to improve my stamina.

If you aren't pushing your maximum HR, you ain't improving.

For my age group just about every website says I should not be exceeding 140-145 at a vigorous intensity of 85 percent. Normally after warming up, my workouts start in the 120s building up to the mid 140s.  My resting heart rate is 58.

Some of you seem to be running really high HRs when exercising. MaeJoMTB and Simon must be supremely fit for those figures. 

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Age is no excuse for inactivity. 

True enough, but can't be bothered any more!!

Would play some tennis here if I could find a partner, but then again it does get bloody hot!!

Never was a fitness fanatic but did stay fit playing football until I was 45, then on to tennis...…….never took to gyms or running.

Now 70 yrs old with a resting heart rate of 66 and BP around 130/80 although my resting heart rate was around 52 about 10 yrs ago, jeez where did that go?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

For my age group just about every website says I should not be exceeding 140-145 at a vigorous intensity of 85 percent. Normally after warming up, my workouts start in the 120s building up to the mid 140s.  My resting heart rate is 58.

Some of you seem to be running really high HRs when exercising. MaeJoMTB and Simon must be supremely fit for those figures. 

Maximum heart rate is the bpm when you push yourself just before feeling dizzy (heart/lungs can't supply blood/oxygen to brain fast enough). 

For normal people approx 220-age, but higher if you're fit and train often, lower if you're particularly unhealthy.

(mine should be 220-62 =158, but I exercise a lot so I've pushed that up to 182, last year it was 178)

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If you aren't pushing your maximum HR, you ain't improving.

Define improving ... If you mean that you need to use max heart rate to increase your fitness ... absolute crap ..

, those fitbit things are just nonsense toys IMO

I've never used one in my life. But from reading reviews of their capabilities, they do sound as if they provide useful information about your level of fitness, (and improvements to that level over time).

According to the hospital health checks, exercise stress checks etc, I am very fit for my age - and I feel very fit and healthy!

But it doesn't happen overnight. In a post last March, I commented that I was tired after jogging just 100 metres.

Now, after 12 months+ of good diet and progressive exercise, jogging 10 Km in 60 minutes is a no-brainer. I typically jog 5Km every day after work, plus some other exercises (abs/arms etc).

I'm not a fitness fanatic in any sense. I just feel the very positive improvements in my body as I continue to exercise regularly as I approach 60 years old. Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

not everyone needs to be "their best" , just to find some routine  that they will do ....... of course,  a few can continue on as "athletes" to later years, but not many ..... there is now a huge market for baby boomer joint replacements, probably from all that  jogging craze in the 1970s,     this looks like a way to use HR meaningfully however

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max#Rockport_fitness_walking_test

Same here..........so I gave up jogging.

Defeatist attitude :)

I didn't give up.  I jogged 100 metres.  Then I jogged 150 metres the next day, then I jogged 200 metres the next day etc etc etc

Slowly, slowly is the way to do it.  Same if you go on a diet.  Take it all slowly, eat a little less,don't try to reach your target weight/jogging time in 1 month.  Take 1 year or 2 years.

• Like 1

For those not up to jogging, brisk walking has been shown to confer considerable health benefits and is easier on the knees. May actually be a better idea for older people with arthritis etc.  "Brisk" meaning covering 1 km in 10 minutes or less.

• Thanks 1

Below 40 is another matter, definitely abnormal as the sinus node (natural pacemaker of the heart) will not go below 40.

Sheryl, I've been doing these 5 Km hill jogging profiles (typically 5% incline) on the treadmill most days. This helps to build up my stamina. After 5 Km, my legs are tired but I'm not out of breath, no chest or heart discomfort, heart rate about 163, but falls below 130 in under 2 minutes after completing the run.

My resting heart rate after waking up in the morning is now 44....

Should I call an ambulance if it gets much lower? :)

24 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Sheryl, I've been doing these 5 Km hill jogging profiles (typically 5% incline) on the treadmill most days. This helps to build up my stamina. After 5 Km, my legs are tired but I'm not out of breath, no chest or heart discomfort, heart rate about 163, but falls below 130 in under 2 minutes after completing the run.

My resting heart rate after waking up in the morning is now 44....

Should I call an ambulance if it gets much lower? ?

You're not out of breath and your rate is 163? That should be about your maximum heart rate assuming you are in your 50s. You must be super fit. 

You're not out of breath and your rate is 163? That should be about your maximum heart rate assuming you are in your 50s. You must be super fit.

Hardly super-fit! But pretty fit for my age. If I jog/run hard until my HR gets above about 172, then I start to feel as if I'm 'pushing it'.

Yesterday I planned to run my usual 5 Km on the treadmill. But the gym aircon wasn't working well and it was very hot (40+ outside in Naypyitaw - I had already cycled 20 Km in that heat an hour ago - I'm used to cycling in those temperatures).

Well, I gave up after 4.5 Km! The high heat level in the room definitely increases my HR and it was about 168, whereas it is normally around 163 after 5 Km with the air-con working.

I'm not a glutton for punishment - I went and cooled off in the swimming pool :) Edited by simon43

61 bpm at age 75. BP 107/65. I don't overdo the exercise, golf 3 times a week and a swim every day.

IMHO swimming is better than jogging, no wear and tear on the knees.

Now, if I could just lose 5 kg. Eat more salad than a rabbit, get nowhere.

• Like 2