Moving out from the contract

I will in one week cancel my condo contract as agreements are not met about fixing the bed and AC. I paid 2 month in deposit and is willing to take that. Could there be something more? Condo looks the same like it was 11 moth back when I moved in. I reduced rent 15 % by signing a 2 year contract. Thanks for helping me out!

hard to understand. are you saying you're going to move out despite you signed a 2 year contract? that would be fine as long as they have a months notice and you should also get your deposit back if on good terms with your condo owner. people should really be only paying a months deposit here now as far as i know

Oh sorry, I mean "I am ready to take the deposit as a loss". My question was if they can claim anything more as I am leaving in a middle of a month. Nothing said in contract about leaving before then that the deposit is lost. No writings on fixing. I am happy to leave but don't want to pay more then the deposit. Thank you!

Edited by shambo

I got 15% discount signing the 2 years but can try to get 1 year back as they did not do what they said they will do. Well, there is the owner and then the promising admin of the condo. That's what mess it up. Thanks for the feedback!

9 hours ago, Happy enough said:

as long as nothing is broken then i think that's all fine and you could have got the deposit back also. but if you don't want it then up to you i guess

Nonsense, if you brake the contract officially you have to pay the remainder of the contract. Most people won't keep you to that but no way you have any rights.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Nonsense, if you brake the contract officially you have to pay the remainder of the contract. Most people won't keep you to that but no way you have any rights.  

none sense? i haven't read his contract but you must have. what does it say

9 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

I haven't read hi contract either but I feel the need to make comment

What is the point or logic  of a 2 year contract that can be ended by giving one months notice?

Possibly  it can be ended  early but there is no way if its a "normal" contract will he get any of his deposit back  and surely that is right and proper.

Lengthy contracts or minimum term contract  are usually made for the benefit of both parties, surely I dont need to list those benefits but if the OP wishes to end the contract early  then he normally would forfeit his deposit and in some case if it is a well written contract (usually by the Landlords lawyer)  be liable for the outstanding rents appropriate to the end of said contract.

The OP I tink is saying that the Landlord is in breach of his contract through some maintenance issues  and that is the reason He wishes to vacate the premise and terminate the contract early.

IF so then this is in effect  puts the situation in another context (Breach of contract)  and the question will have to be resolved by either arbitration with the Landlord or  if he feels very strongly take legal action against the Landlord

• Like 1

1 minute ago, n210mp said:

What is the point or logic  of a 2 year contract that can be ended by giving one months notice?

Possibly  it can be ended  early but there is no way if its a "normal" contract will he get any of his deposit back  and surely that is right and proper.

Lengthy contracts or minimum term contract  are usually made for the benefit of both parties, surely I dont need to list those benefits but if the OP wishes to end the contract early  then he normally would forfeit his deposit and in some case if it is a well written contract (usually by the Landlords lawyer)  be liable for the outstanding rents appropriate to the end of said contract.

The OP I tink is saying that the Landlord is in breach of his contract through some maintenance issues  and that is the reason He wishes to vacate the premise and terminate the contract early.

IF so then this is in effect  puts the situation in another context (Breach of contract)  and the question will have to be resolved by either arbitration with the Landlord or  if he feels very strongly take legal action against the Landlord

to be honest, i don't really understand what the OP is saying. i was just giving advice as someone who has rented in the past and now has rental properties both here and in europe. that if someone were to give me a months notice and the place is undamaged then they can leave and get their deposit back because that's plenty time to find new tenants. hence why i mentioned his relationship with his landlord. i also hinted there are some changes in the rental laws in thailand that may or may not have affected the OP

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

That he has a 15% discount when he rents for 2 years. You can't take the discount and then run away early when it suits you.

Edited by FritsSikkink

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

That he has a 15% discount when he rents for 2 years.

it's going to be down to his negotiation skills then i think. if he's saying they didn't sort out his bed and aircon, as they said, then i'd say they are pretty tight with their money in which case. well 2 points. 1 he doesn't have a good relationship with them and 2 they are tight with money. 

37 minutes ago, n210mp said:

new laws came into effect not long ago with regards to ending a contract early and a few other things. you could have a ten year contract and still end it with notice. the length of the contract is irrelevant as far as i know

So here is what is said about this in the contract: "In case The Tenant moves out before the rental period is expiring then the 2 month deposit will be kept by the landlord as a compensation for the early move out". This I understood but I will not tell them one month before but only 2 weeks before this month ends and already paid for coz of visa issues. They will get my 2 month deposit and will that be enough from the rent point of wiew as I move out in the middle of this month...is my question? 

1 minute ago, shambo said:

So here is what is said about this in the contract: "In case The Tenant moves out before the rental period is expiring then the 2 month deposit will be kept by the landlord as a compensation for the early move out". This I understood but I will not tell them one month before but only 2 weeks before this month ends and already paid for coz of visa issues. They will get my 2 month deposit and will that be enough from the rent point of wiew as I move out in the middle of this month...is my question? 

yes should be fine i think

• Like 1

Ok thanks for feedback. I see the problem as that I never met the owner of my condo I only met the office ladies running the condo. Yes, they promised to fix this and that. "We will get new money for repairs in January" I was believing in and then the owner did not agree. I should have had that in writings but broken AC and <deleted> bed is hard to know before. I will ask for payback of one month deposit and see how it goes. Yes, I ended up in the tomorrow box, haha and welcome to LoS.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

That he has a 15% discount when he rents for 2 years. You can't take the discount and then run away early when it suits you.

What about the stuff they refuse to repair but are not?

The reason he is leaving judging by his posts is that there things that need fixing and the owner is refusing to do so, one being the AC, and that about says it all. 

If I am renting and the AC breaks and they don't fix it, then I'd probably be leaving as well. This owner (usually its the Thais that give farangs the most grief) would not get away with this sh!te where I come from.

If true, f***** disgrace.

15 hours ago, n210mp said:

I agree with you - I would see the op paying the 15% he saved by ending the contract before the 2 years are up.......he should be liable for 15% more rent for every month he stayed in the Condo - if it were mine, I would charge him and (maybe) keep his deposit as well.   They are not breaking any written agreement...........HE IS.     

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I agree with you - I would see the op paying the 15% he saved by ending the contract before the 2 years are up.......he should be liable for 15% more rent for every month he stayed in the Condo - if it were mine, I would charge him and (maybe) keep his deposit as well.   They are not breaking any written agreement...........HE IS.     

How do you figure that. Would you live in a room where the AC broke down and the Landlord didn't want to fix it.?

So you still think they (Landlord) are not in breach?

On the flip side, Landlord can't do jack outside of keeping the deposit (nor will they want to spend money trying to pursue that 15%) just as much as the tenant can do to get his deposit back in this situation. I guess part of the deposit more than covers that 15%. And now the Landlord has money to fix the AC and bed and get a new tenant in.

Smart move by the Landlord to shaft the OP and be in a win-win situation.

Go to the local Office of Consumer Protection. Take all your paperwork with you. Explain the situation to them. With a little luck they will be able to sort the whole issue out with a phone call, but you will not be popular with the ladies in the rental agency (who, in my experience, are probably just a bunch of crooks anyway).

Yes smiling crooks is the right world. The condo had been empty several month in this nice area and they never told the owner I was living there until he found out for himself. The crooks in the reception gave me a contract and I thought that was ok as land lords can live anywhere on the planet. 

Yes, living with no proper AC and a broken bed is not for me so I will try to get 1 month deposit back. There it will end for me as fighting thais have never been good for me and 15% discount covers 1 month deposit. Thanks for all feedback and calculate with not winning and not fairness all the time in Thailand. Mostly it is more then ok!

• Like 2

Yes smiling crooks is the right world. The condo had been empty several month in this nice area and they never told the owner I was living there until he found out for himself. The crooks in the reception gave me a contract and I thought that was ok as land lords can live anywhere on the planet.

I have heard that story so many times here, from both tenants and owners.

Scam after scam after scam.

On 5/9/2018 at 12:52 AM, Straight8 said:

How do you figure that. Would you live in a room where the AC broke down and the Landlord didn't want to fix it.?

So you still think they (Landlord) are not in breach?

On the flip side, Landlord can't do jack outside of keeping the deposit (nor will they want to spend money trying to pursue that 15%) just as much as the tenant can do to get his deposit back in this situation. I guess part of the deposit more than covers that 15%. And now the Landlord has money to fix the AC and bed and get a new tenant in.

Smart move by the Landlord to shaft the OP and be in a win-win situation.

No I wouldn't, I have fixed my own A/C after telling the Condo Mgt that if the landlord wouldn't fix it,  and I was deducting it from the rent..........surprisingly they agreed because the landlord lived in Europe, and probably wouldn't notice the reduction.   Win Win.  I have read on this forum a guy replaced his A/C with a better one, kept the old one and had it re-installed before he left, theres better ways than accuse the landlord.  I think he threatened to move and the Condo Mgt said  "Good Riddance"   

No I wouldn't, I have fixed my own A/C after telling the Condo Mgt that if the landlord wouldn't fix it, and I was deducting it from the rent..........surprisingly they agreed because the landlord lived in Europe, and probably wouldn't notice the reduction.

The landlord possibly wasn't even aware that his unit was being rented out. Happens frequently here.

The landlord is a thai living in BKK and the management stole his rent money for my first 2 month before he knocked on my door at night. It is a little messy so maybe he doesn't want to buy me a new AC or they didn't even ask him? And buy myself without written permission is no good in the contract. And then the bed...

I will go for one month deposit back and remind them that they stole the money from the owner. Thanks mates!