Fba, Land : "you Are Warned"

An interesting piece in Bangkok Post. The Commerce minister talked friday night about FBA, and the land issues, along with nominees...

If some of you still have some doubt about the "agenda" and the motivations of the actual gvt...

''It's not that we are backtracking from globalisation and not welcoming foreign investors, but what we want is good quality investors, not just any investors,'' he said.

By the way, the Commerce minister has the responsability of writing the new Retail Act...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/29Jan2007_biz41.php

''It's not that we are backtracking from globalisation and not welcoming foreign investors, but what we want is good quality investors, not just any investors,'' he said.

"Good Quality Investors", "High Quality Tourists"... :D In other words, "We are looking for suckers with lots of money to spend, and we think we can attract them by making their life hel_l..." :D Maybe the next step will be to say that they prefer "investors who like challenges" , such that just love the risk and the poor returns? Or maybe "Modest Investors", such that are willing to spend money and not own or control their business? :D

''If the investors cannot observe one or two laws that are similar to those in other civilised countries, then we should not care about them.''

Just like a bunch of crybabies, "Go!, we don't care!" :o

If they continue to be "picky" about the kind of investors and tourists, Thailand can proceed to only one direction - down!

Edited by rogerinthai

If the foreigners were doing something 'wrong', then why did

the authorities allow it to happen in the first place ?

The answer is of course money. They could not control their greed.

Now that a big portion of Phuket, Samui etc. is in foreign

hands their little brown eyes are turning green with jealousy.

Naka.

I would be interested to know which laws in which civilised countries are similar to Thailand's deliberately grey area, partially non-enforced, amorphously ever-changing, xenophobic, self-contradictory property laws.

I come from a civilised country and Thais own land there.

I would be interested to know which laws in which civilised countries are similar to Thailand's deliberately grey area, partially non-enforced, amorphously ever-changing, xenophobic, self-contradictory property laws.

Foreign Investment Review Board comes to mind in OZ, a division of Federal Treasury and overseen by the Treasurer (equivelent of Finance Minister or Chancellor of the Exchequor in the UK)

It doesn't block most things, but it is a handy tool incase a big purchase is politically unpopular.

Then there was the little issue of Dubai ports buying up US ports.

But, we can throw stones here forever. You want to own land, others want to do other things which add up to the same problems.

A favourite of mine is enforced, never-changing, xenophobic, self-contradictory trade laws of come from some civilised countries. Every year, in Brussels, staff from the NZ embassy will gather in the centre of town to give away free the two kilo's of NZ chocolate that they are allowed to import tax free into the EU under the trade laws there.

Gotta love this globalisation stuff. Pot, Kettle and Black are three words which come to mind. Funny too that the US aren't lobbying too hard for a relaxation on the laws here either. Must have something to do with the advantage they currently have, and don't want to lose.

Then there was the little issue of Dubai ports buying up US ports.

Well, not allowing a foreign company to control a major part of all the incoming/outgoing trade of the country, is hardly the same as not allowing a foreigner to own a single rai of land, or to a foreign-owned company to open a restaurant.

Of course every country has its controls; the point is that Thailand's are becoming absurd, at least for a country that does want foreign investments.

which civilised country, hmm??

Hitler Germany

North Korea

Cuba

Thank you for your reply, Samran.

You have quoted some good examples of protectionism relating to land ownership pertaining to politically sensitive industries and areas of strategic interest. I feel that the Commerce Minister is stretching the point if he is trying to compare blanket non-ownership of land to these examples.

It appears to me Thailand is trying to walk a fine line between two things it doesn't really like, namely foreign ownership and no foreign investment. While wrestling with this dilemma, the legislative results are sometimes absurd.

e.g. Live here for 25 years as a permanent resident, work, marry, have children but you cannot own any land.

Foreigners cannot own land here but through companies with non-voting shares, they can. Two separate laws contradict each other.

Thai citizens can hold large expanses of land and leave them unused with little or no financial disincentive. This is great for speculators, but has a negative effect on the general population.

It is difficult to compare these laws to the property laws of civilised countries.

I think this passage sums up the thinking of this generation towards this topic quite well:

"Look around you _ all the land in Samui, Phuket and Koh Chang is in the hands of foreigners. They cannot take the land away but there's a sense of nationalism and therefore they should restructure," a combative Mr Krirk-krai said in response to questions from foreigners.

They know what the logical counter arguments are, they understand them but its simply a case of 'its my ball and you cant play' and if the laws allow you to, we'll change them.

Perhaps the market will mature over the next generation, certainly many younger Thais I speak to seem more open but in the meantime don't hold your breath.

Briggsy,

I actually agree with you 100%.

It isn't fair, especially for someone in your situation to be discriminated against, but quicksilva makes a great point.

The thing is Thai's view land and ownership of assets as a strategic interest. So for the average Thai, land ownership is as important as say, the Dubai ports saga in the US last year.

The other thing is, that any policitican who advocated it, would soon be out of a job, no matter how many 500 baht notes are distributed come election time.