Grab Must Stand Down To End Taxi Wars: Military

snoop1130

Grab Must Stand Down To End Taxi Wars: Military

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

winfight.header.gif

Two motorcycle taxis fight in Pattaya in 2017. Source: My Pattaya / Facebook

BANGKOK — The gig economy is boiling over in the streets, where drivers are chasing each other down for a beating and passengers subjected to outrageous harassment.

The military said Tuesday it will step in to settle conflicts between taxi drivers and the dominant ride-hailing service after receiving numerous complaints about them fighting – sometimes physically – for customers.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2018/05/08/grab-must-stand-down-to-end-taxi-wars-military/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-5-8
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This is why I steer well clear with anything off the street and pre-book and pay a little more with reputable companies.  Just too much potential aggravation otherwise.  Never had a problem and never expect to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Unsane said:

This is why I steer well clear with anything off the street and pre-book and pay a little more with reputable companies.  Just too much potential aggravation otherwise.  Never had a problem and never expect to.

Easy to hail a car. Never bother with motorbikes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newcomer71 said:

But but... The guys fighting are all regular motorbike taxi with the orange jacket... Just sayin'

GrabTaxi and GrabBike drivers were originally normal Taxi and Bike service guys that used the app to get extra income. That is why I used the Grab service over Uber because Uber had the outrageous "SuperCharge!" or whatever it was called periods where a 100 Baht "normal" Uber ride suddenly became 300+ during oeak hours whereas Grab jilust charged 5 - 10 Baht extra for peak, but the flag fall and Km rate was still the normal taxi rate.

The problem for the MotorBike guys is that they have very small, designated pick-up areas and so GrabBikes would be picking up passengers in forbidden zones (Photo in the OP)

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Did you catch the photo in the news this morning of the No. 40 air con bus on Sukhumvit Road near Gateway Ekamai fully engulfed in flames, like a big bus BBQ?

but how many died ;-)

I'll take a bus over a motorbike every time in bangkok .

Article makes little sense.  Grab drivers find passengers via the app, they don't take to the street to fight local mafia run taxi operations for customers.  And in any case it seems the mafia has infiltrated Grab as some of their drivers even try extortion when faced with issues like going through tollways or when you want to change your destination and the app won't let you.  Uber had these issues solved with a superior app now riders must occasionally deal with petty corruption with Grab drivers. 

• Like 1

Article makes little sense.  Grab drivers find passengers via the app, they don't take to the street to fight local mafia run taxi operations for customers.  And in any case it seems the mafia has infiltrated Grab as some of their drivers even try extortion when faced with issues like going through tollways or when you want to change your destination and the app won't let you.  Uber had these issues solved with a superior app now riders must occasionally deal with petty corruption with Grab drivers. 

Absolutely ! Grab is used by many of the Motorbike taxi mafia! It’s clear Uber had enough of the s**** going on and left it all to Grab in SE Asia!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Yeah, but in terms of threats to the state security apparatus they rank second after twerking while reading Orwell. 

Not to mention synergy with their other business.........

GrabPower.thumb.png.bdae8e5695be4936c64f461f13921430.png

• Like 2

The GF and I refuse to use the taxi mafia in Thailand, and while in Pattaya used GRAB for the first time.

The driver asked that we meet on the underground parking side of Central Festival. There was a line of blue and yellow cabs on the other side and he was afraid to pick us up in front of them.

Its going to heat up big time. 

• Thanks 1

I love to live here but the taxi situation is the worse I have ever witnessed in comparison to wherever I have been so far.

And the guys in green lost the battle before starting it.

• Like 1