90 Day in out Vientiane

Can anyone tell me if Nong Khai immigration is strict on the 48 hours for an in out multiple entry non o marriage visa. I’m being a cheapskate and there are cheap flights to udon. I only want to spend one night in Vientiane, so was wondering if anyone has done a 90 day in out there and only spent one night, and if so did you have a problem at immigration. I understand that 48 hours is the official time you’re supposed to stay when traveling overland. 

FYI. If you want to delay a border run, and you’re the spouse or parent of a Thai, you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay at your local immigration office for 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is no 48 hour rule. As soon as you've passed through Laos immigrantion you can turn around and head back in to Thailand.

There was at Poipet as I was flagged there and warned after my second time last year. Have you come back through Nong Khai after only 24 hours or straight away as you stated?

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you are looking for a cheap in/out with a multiple entry Non O, it is good to bear Mae Sot in mind. Flights from Bangkok are cheap, and the airport is about 2 km from the border. The Myanmar border pass is US$10. You can walk across the bridge between Thai and Myanmar immigration.

Thanks for the info. But it’s the 48 hours rule I’m concerned about. I don’t mind staying one night but not two, wife working and problems with babysitting etc. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

But it’s the 48 hours rule I’m concerned about. I don’t mind staying one night but not two, wife working and problems with babysitting etc. 

As said there is no rule that you have to be out of the country for 48 hours to do get a new entry. All you have to do leave the country and enter another one for any amount of time you want to before returning.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

Thanks for the info. But it’s the 48 hours rule I’m concerned about. I don’t mind staying one night but not two, wife working and problems with babysitting etc. 

Poipet applies its own rules that are nothing to do with the official regulations. At Nong Khai and Maesot (and other border crossings excluding Poipet) you will not be faced with this unofficial rule.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, leeedwards said:
12 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is no 48 hour rule. As soon as you've passed through Laos immigrantion you can turn around and head back in to Thailand.

There was at Poipet as I was flagged there and warned after my second time last year. Have you come back through Nong Khai after only 24 hours or straight away as you stated?

Poipet is in Cambodia, not Laos. There is a Cambodian immigrantion rule at that border that you’re supposed to stay at least 24 hours, which can usually be waived for a fee.

As far as I know there has never been such a rule at the Nongkhai crossing, and there certainly isn’t at this time. If they introduced such a rule we would soon know about it. I have exited/re-entered straight away many times, but not for years.

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Poipet is in Cambodia, not Laos. There is a Cambodian immigrantion rule at that border that you’re supposed to stay at least 24 hours, which can usually be waived for a fee.

As far as I know there has never been such a rule at the Nongkhai crossing, and there certainly isn’t at this time. If they introduced such a rule we would soon know about it. I have exited/re-entered straight away many times, but not for years.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

As said there is no rule that you have to be out of the country for 48 hours to do get a new entry. All you have to do leave the country and enter another one for any amount of time you want to before returning.

Yes there IS a rule as I found out last time at Poipet and checked it when I came back. They don’t always abide by this rule at Thai immigration. My question is has anyone recently stayed for less than 48 hours and come back through Nong Khai. I know this is Thailand and official rules and regulations following varies from place to place and person to person. But the rule does exist. 

Edited by leeedwards
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

But the rule does exist. 

And you are referring to a person that has a re-entry permit or multiple entry visa as described in the OP?

Returning to get another visa exempt stamp (30 days) is a different story.

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you are looking for a cheap in/out with a multiple entry Non O, it is good to bear Mae Sot in mind. Flights from Bangkok are cheap, and the airport is about 2 km from the border. The Myanmar border pass is US$10. You can walk across the bridge between Thai and Myanmar immigration.

If the poster lives in Bangkok, buy a same day cheap return ticket to Kuala Lumpur (Air Asia).

Biggest effort: get to Don Mueang.

A couple of members have done so.

Just don't try the 1.5 hour turnaround at KL.

Give yourself some time. Countless flights.

No visa cost, no sticker, no pass, no sweaty bridge walks.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

Yes there IS a rule as I found out last time at Poipet and checked it when I came back.

Where did you find the 48 hour rule. I have never seen it. One of the honorary consulates in the UK had something about it on their website at one time.

Poipet makes it hard for people doing crossings for a new entry. I think part of their reasoning is to reduce the number of people doing crossings there.

I have never heard of any crossing saying anything about a 48 hour rule. A few crossing to Malaysia say you need to stay overnight.

The rules for a Cambodia visa on arrival state you must stay overnight when you use one. That is where the 300 baht fee comes from that some crossing charge when you don't stay overnight.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Thank you, I didn't know about maesot, so it costs only 300 thb to go out and in by walking ?

where can we go with myanmar pass to look around ?

And how much to go from airport to border ? Tuk tuk ?

Edited by grkt

2 hours ago, grkt said:

Thank you, I didn't know about maesot, so it costs only 300 thb to go out and in by walking ?

where can we go with myanmar pass to look around ?

And how much to go from airport to border ? Tuk tuk ?

Get a clean $10 bill before you go. If you want to pay in baht they charge 500 baht.

There is a fair sized town on the Myanmar side. You are not allowed to go any further afield than that without a Myanmar visa arranged in advance.

When I have gone, I have chosen to walk from the airport to the bridge. That would not be everyone's choice, of course, but the exercise is good for me. If looking for a cheap option, I seem to remember that songthaews from town pass the airport on the way to the bridge. I am sure you can find an overpriced taxi if that is your preference.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Get a clean $10 bill before you go. If you want to pay in baht they charge 500 baht.

There is a fair sized town on the Myanmar side. You are not allowed to go any further afield than that without a Myanmar visa arranged in advance.

When I have gone, I have chosen to walk from the airport to the bridge. That would not be everyone's choice, of course, but the exercise is good for me. If looking for a cheap option, I seem to remember that songthaews from town pass the airport on the way to the bridge. I am sure you can find an overpriced taxi if that is your preference.

I want to try to walk also !

I find it fun to walk from plane to border and come back hahahaha...

Just hope that it won't be a sunny day.

Which airlines go to maesot for cheap ? airasia I guess ?

Thanks again.

11 hours ago, leeedwards said:

Yes there IS a rule as I found out last time at Poipet and checked it when I came back. They don’t always abide by this rule at Thai immigration. My question is has anyone recently stayed for less than 48 hours and come back through Nong Khai. I know this is Thailand and official rules and regulations following varies from place to place and person to person. But the rule does exist. 

There is no official/unofficial 48 hour rule. I don’t know where you got your info from, but it’s wrong. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, leeedwards said:

Yes there IS a rule as I found out last time at Poipet and checked it when I came back.

Your mistake - believing the IO who told you this was telling the truth - is understandable.  We come from countries where officials in uniforms do not regularly and openly state objectively false statements, for fear of repercussions from supervisory personnel.  They would be fired and replaced, immediately.

But, at the Poipet crossing, and a few other locations (notably, Bangkok's airports), personnel don't respect the laws they have sworn to uphold, and there appears to be no oversight to stop them from acting like they are operating a checkpoint in a place like Somalia (famous for it's anarchy). 

Poipet-IOs have also told others (including me) they "must fly back" - when all you really have to do is enter at any other checkpoint, where the actual laws are followed.  Fortunately, most checkpoints are run by honorable IOs, who will apply the actual laws/rules on the books. 

You may also want to carry 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks to show, if asked (a "real rule") - though this is usually only requested at crossings from Malaysia.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 5:08 AM, BritTim said:

Are you saying this us the best in-out option via a flight? I have a non o and have been looking for alternatives. Thanks! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:
On 5/10/2018 at 5:08 AM, BritTim said:

Are you saying this us the best in-out option via a flight? I have a non o and have been looking for alternatives. Thanks! 

If you are happy to fly out of Don Muang, I think Mae Sot is certainly one of the best options. It works out a little quicker than flying to and from Kuala Lumpur (bearing in mind the time taken for international flight check in and security) and will usually work out cheaper. Mae Sot also means you are entering by land. With a Non O multiple, entering by air is probably no risk, but some feel more comfortable using a land border. As against that, an in/out in Kuala Lumpur means you never need to leave the airport. In the end, you need to fully understand what each option entails, and decide what best fits your preferences.

• Like 1

When I contacted the Thai Embassy in London a few years ago to enquire about getting a non-immigrant "O" multiple entry visa. The information I got back was that after ninety days you were not allowed back until 48 hours later. I need to clarify this, as I'm applying for an "O" visa soon and need to know if Nong Khai Thai immigration will not let you back in until 48 hours after exiting. I had an "O" visa years ago and when I did a border run at Nong Khai and came back the same day, an hour later, the immigration officer, when re-entering Thailand gave me a not so nice glare, but let me in anyway.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, johnj said:

When I contacted the Thai Embassy in London a few years ago to enquire about getting a non-immigrant "O" multiple entry visa. The information I got back was that after ninety days you were not allowed back until 48 hours later. I need to clarify this, as I'm applying for an "O" visa soon and need to know if Nong Khai Thai immigration will not let you back in until 48 hours after exiting. I had an "O" visa years ago and when I did a border run at Nong Khai and came back the same day, an hour later, the immigration officer, when re-entering Thailand gave me a not so nice glare, but let me in anyway.

The answer has been given several times already in this thread. There is no 48 hour rule at Nong Khai. You should have no problem doing making an immediate return.

FYI; rule or not an IO can deny entry if you return after 5 mins or 48 hours should they have cause.

• Thanks 1