Chinese tourists stock trading in Ubon were doing nothing wrong - because there is no Thai law to cover it

webfact

7 hours ago, balo said:

The problem here is that 200 Chinese are working together in the same room !

That's absolutely terrible. In the same room?? At this rate they'll be running out of Chinese in China. Were they sleeping there too? cheap bastards, tried to save hotel costs. Hurting tourism industry in Thailand. 10 years in jail for each I suggest.

• Haha 1

Rule of law changes on each situation.  For your safety, Don't interpret it as ok to do online work in Thailand. Unless of course you venture down to immigration and labour office and get official documents from them stating it's ok.  A news article is not enough. 

• 6 months later...
On 5/11/2018 at 7:11 PM, bluesofa said:

Hmm, 265,000 Baht divided by 1,600 Baht per person must mean there were 165.625 people involved.

There I go, bringing logic into it. Btw, I thought the fine for not filing a TM30 was 800 Baht - or does it depend it there's an 'r' in the month?

When I lived in Jomtien the fine to an individual was 1600 (usually - max 2000), but could be more for a business.  I suppose that fine-rate is because there was a "j" in the name of the office location - or maybe a "c" for Chonburi.  If the hotel is paying the fine, it could be higher per-violation. 

On 5/12/2018 at 3:40 AM, Redline said:

It’s because they are Chinese 

A similar thing happened with a "office-space / remote-work" space, with the same result.  All the Western "workers" (working online for non-Thai entities) were released, and no charges filed based on "working illegally."

The bottom line is this: If they were sent out of the country, they would do the same thing in another country, and spend their offshore-sourced earnings in that country, instead of Thailand.  So it would be stupid to do anything other than make it as easy as possible for them to stay - right? 

Doh!  There I go using "logic" again.

• Like 2