Bangkok lane-change crackdown nets 50,000 offenders in two days

webfact

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

One day someone will explain why Thai motorcyclists are banned from many flyovers and tunnels, and large motorcycles are banned from expressways, when in many other countries they can travel quite safely on these roads.

The days of mopeds crawling at 20km/h are long gone, they are often the fastest vehicles on the road.

When I come to these expressways, I think about my middle finger, but keep 300 Baht in my pocket just in case, I have only paid out once.

3 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Now to find the good and fast way to collect the money, that will be the problem but if they find a way to fix that the camera's will be everywhere!

I think it is not so difficult.

As I remember they have already done when you'll have to pay your yearly cartax.

First pay the ticket, after you'll get the new sticker.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Didn’t you read the Highway Code ?

What screws up things here - the drivers who zip past the queues - instead of sticking to the correct lanes - pushing in.

Therefore screwing up the other lanes who do not want to take that exit- 

it just slows everything down - crush their cars ! 

Sorry but is your post a complaint about www.ThaiVisa.com, the members of it, farangs in general or the Thai people of Thailand.

Can you please be more specific?

Edited by watcharacters

Is my O level maths deceiving me or 50,000 in two days is 25,000 per day. Let's say 12.5 hours daylight (to make it easier), that is 2000 per hour at 15 locations makes 155 tickets per hour, every hour at every location. One every 26 SECONDS. Impossible.

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Sorry but is your post a complaint about www.ThaiVisa.com, the members of it, farangs in general or the Thai people of Thailand.

Can you please be more specific?

Am a bit confused.

The whole point of the crack down is to stop drivers crossing the lines.

Also to point out that many problems are caused by drivers ‘ pushing in’

What are you talking about.

So you come out of a side road onto a main road but want to turn right at the next traffic light.  So you cross over two lanes to the outside lane and if there's a queue you have to push in.  Is that an offence?

The real lane offenders are the overloaded pick-ups that stay stubbornly in the overtaking lane travelling at 70kph.

To say thais are either money grabbers or money saving (as in saving a baht here or there) but they tear arse down the road biurning petrol to be stuck at a traffic light for about 5 minutes revving the engine.more wasted petrol.as said most caught was motorcyclists but thats why most people use them.motircycle taxis are great.i use them all the time but time to them is money& most of them are excellent riders

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

The road markings tell you when you can change lane, if it's a broken white line you can change lane whenever you want - solid white line = no lane changing. This is how it's done all over the world.

The photos show a broken line apart from the last few meters which allows lane changes.

I'm going with crossing solid white lines at or near merge areas as shown in the picture.

9eee51faf033cfb6759754ffa7a8a971-sld.jpe

That and probably exiting onto the frontage roads at entrance points and vice versa. In the photo shown there are at least four cars trying to do that and have caused a blockage on the lane behind them. 

Then there are the solid white lines on the expressways and motorway at exits  to stop drivers from crossing over three lanes to cut in, or drivers from starting a second exiting lane.

Like on the Ramintra expressway where there is sometimes, if one is lucky, only one lane going north of Lad Prao.

On the motorway coming into town at Sri Nakarindra is another place but there is rarely any jam there. 

Edited by VocalNeal

what was the purpose of being ticketed I would argue.

Was is for my safety? Overpasses are safer than intersections.

Was the ticket for the general safety of others?

Was the ticket issued because I was doing something dangerous?

Do you make any commissions for writing this ticket? (check)

Revenue is paramount to implement effective enforcement. Without effective enforcement chaos on the roads prevail. And we've all seen the end result of ineffective enforcement in the form of fatalities caused by road accidents due to negligent driving habits.

The main issues that need addressing are; Speeding, right of way (pedestrian and motor vehicle), driving infractions such as unsafe lane changes, not stopping at intersections, tailgating, overloaded vehicles, unsafe stopping on highways and streets and the ever present drunk driving

And what better way is there to collect revenue than by means of traffic and parking enforcement.

Enforcing motor vehicle laws are important for road safety and for the safety of the public at large.

And the revenue gained by such enforcement will help to maintain the patrolling of Thailand's roads in an effort to keep the roads safe and reduce Thailand's ever growing 'fatal accident' record.

Does Thailand have a designated TRAFFIC COURT per se?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

So you can whizz about at 200 kph , kill people and yourself .

The days of wonderful motoring are over- I did twenty years of underpowered little English sports cars  - MG , Triumph etc - it was fun.

Now there are millions and millions of cars on the road- driving is not fun.

The golden age of driving for enjoyment has gone . 

On another thread - have just bought a new car - it’s ultimately quiet , every possible safety feature ( still reading the 400 page manual) - ambient lighting of course and the most amazing music system .  ( and saves the planet ) Is it boring - no

Thailand should look to the West - draconian fines etc. If you are caught back home with no insurance your car can be crushed - even a Ferrari. 

If you are driving a car you are not saving the planet

Very few motorists in Thailand pay fines sent in the mail from red light/speed cameras. I know my wife and her circle of friends never do. Until a licence demerit system and registration penalties are employed nothing much will change.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

50,000 offenders in a single day at just 15 locations. So multiply that by the rest of the country, and surprise, surprise, there are millions of them at it, all with little or no regard for any of the other traffic laws either.

Hi Darkside. You need to READ the statement. It SAID WITHIN THE FIRST TWO DAYS,  NOT SINGLE DAY. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Col Kitti Ariyanon, deputy commander of the traffic unit, said that, on the first day alone, Wednesday, 27,514 tickets were handed out, mostly to motorcyclists.

That's because motorcyclists are the lowest rung of the societal ladder so obviously they'll be disproportional targeted.  Those in cars may be elites and hi-sos.  Must not target those people!!!

While not every Thai knows the traffic rules, many do. They chose to ignore the rules. I have renewed my Thai driving license several times and sometimes I watch the English video for foreigners, sometimes the Thai one. This video is compulsory. It is shocking to see most of the rules are exactly the same as a western country. No parking 30 feet from a junction? Ignore that, I am in a hurry and can't find a space. It is purely selfishness, not ignorance.

• Like 1

Once these lazy bastards realise just how much money they stand to make from cameras, well, it won't be long before every street in Thailand is fitted with them.

Another money making scam from the loathsome BIB who will end up raking it in by sitting on their fat asses again.

8 hours ago, happy chappie said:

How about place the cameras at accident black spots,no can't make much money there.what a earner 50 million baht in two days.this countries roads are going to be covered in cameras within a couple of years.

I think it fair to say giving out 25,000 tickets a day is going to do a lot more to change attitudes and driving habits than putting them up where they record an incident a week.

Seems the guys that squeak the loudest about the driving here, discount every effort to improve it...

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Offenders were caught in the act by a Lane Change Camera System, which involves four automatic cameras at each location.

And red-light jumpers, tailgaters, motorway morons ... The money made could actually pay decent salaries to the BiB.

4 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Very few motorists in Thailand pay fines sent in the mail from red light/speed cameras. I know my wife and her circle of friends never do. Until a licence demerit system and registration penalties are employed nothing much will change.

Your wife will be in for a surprize next time she has to purchase a new tax sticker.she will need to pay her fines first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, johng said:

you don't see the difference between a car blocking an extra lane by trying to push into a queue and a motorbike skirting to the front of the queue causing no congestion in the process ?

Look at any set of traffic lights, and who are are at the front - motor bikes or cars?

not sure if it has been posted yet ?

https://goo.gl/kV7KiE

1541-caution_4x.png&highlight=ff000000,A52714&scale=2.0
Bang Khen Intersection
Chaeng Watthana Government Complex Intersection
Huai Khwang Intersection
Borommaratchachonnani Intersection
Bang Khen Circle Intersection (Lak Si)
Ratchathewi Intersection
Sam Liam Din Daeng Junction
Prachanukun Intersection
Siriraj Overpass
Ratchada-Lat Phrao Intersection
Wong Sawang Intersection
Rama IV Junction
Memorial Bridge
Kamnanman Junction

Edited by grkt
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Your wife will be in for a surprize next time she has to purchase a new tax sticker.she will need to pay her fines first.

Are you sure that it's not only when we sell the car ? They check fines also when we renew the tax sticker ? Never heard before.

14 hours ago, hansnl said:

Like in your own country where under the guise of raising traffic safety a nice earner for the state coffers has been "organised"?

Yes, whatever it takes to improve driving standards, reduce accidents and get Thailand off the worlds most dangerous roads list. Next cameras at traffic lights to deter running reds.

16 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Now to find the good and fast way to collect the money, that will be the problem but if they find a way to fix that the camera's will be everywhere!

Not paying offenders will be forced to pay at their annual car and motorcycle registration.

Always been like that.