Illegal tour guide arrested after video of him threatening tourists in Pattaya goes viral

rooster59

This is the final blow for Chinese mass market tourism. As a former tour guide myself, I have never pushed my group to buy stuff around. Of course I got nice commissions but as I considered my job the most beautiful I've ever had, I was job driven not money driven. This is the problem with these geezer. They do not love their job, they just accept it because of $$$ they wanna make reaching boundaries like this which clearly have been broken.

12 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Where do I refer to ESP?

Ever hear of the term DETECTive?

Ever hear of an incident needing to be reported before it can be investigated?  How do the RTP know what's going on inside a Chinese tour bus?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Chinese screwing over Chinese. They said its best avoiding tourist guides? Then you will have a shock; you will have to pay for proper tours, not your freebie zero dollar tours !

Ideal place to do your workplace training to rip off customers and tourists

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The incident which occured on the May 9th resulted in the group leaving Thailand and flying back to China the same day.

We need more of this behaviour from guides doing Pattaya a favour.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indeed. Thailand gets what it deserves, which is bottom of the barrel. I've many times witnessed Chinese tourists in Dubai, who are quiet and polite and light years from the rabble that Thailand attracts. Perhaps the Thai authorities might like to address why they mostly attract only the poorest quality people.

Are you including yourself in your latest diatribe?

• Thanks 1

These zero dollar tours cost zero dollars/cheap obviously because they need to get their income from commission of items bought from stores.  The whole thing just reeks of scams and shams.

The government tried to clamp down on it but the tour agencies cried foul, would cripple their income and harm tourism, hotels complained etc etc.

Chinese tourists need to boycott and stop buying these cheap Charlie tours because they're gonna be milked one way or another and there are no free lunches in this world.

The only way to get rid of these zero dollar tour scams is to stop buying into them.

This guys is just small fry, the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by smileydude

3 hours ago, connda said:

Obviously the Chinese tourists are routinely victimized by scams specifically targeted at their demographics.  Sad!

"Sad!" - the ending had me wondering if @therealDonaldTrump had started posting here!

(no offence intended - I am sure the poster is an intelligent person, it just made me smile as so many of Trumps tweets end with this)

49 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Look, to be fair (exceptions of course -ThaiVisa family ??), Thailand has not been attracting the best quality farangs either in the past.

However, the difference is at least most of us did not come on zero dollar tours ?

Edited by lkv

When I lived in China I had the misfortune of joining customers on a tour trip to Thailand. It was every other stop to shops and they yap yap if you didn’t buy.  I refused to buy.

Once on a trip with my son asked Tuk Tuk driver to take us somewhere (forgot where) and he took us to a jewelry store and said we needed to buy something or no ride back. Told him to stuff it 

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

I do include a section of foreigners who find Thailand more to their liking than, for example, Singapore or Malaysia, which have higher standards of law enforcement among other things. Many countries in Europe too, come to that. Easier not to try too hard in Thailand by accepting its lower standards. Some feel more comfortable with that. I find it a challenge, but I have family here so I'm trapped. Having said that, there are some advantages in being in Thailand.

• Like 1

Thai police arresting chinese tour guides. What about Thai police arresting all the Thais that are in in this scam. For example the owners of all the shops that are exclusively for these zero-dollar chinese tourists. A 'large' gem store in north Pattaya as an example.

To their credit, the police have actually got one of the Thai-companies involved in this, namely OA Transport.

Illegal guide big BS, it is so shameful that they blame it on him being an unregistered guide as to dampen the blow as if a real Thai guide wouldn’t have done it. Great attempt, let us make him illegal unqualified etc. he was simply trying to maximize his returns and got pissed off when Chinese did not buy anything and hence zero kick back to him. Big farce !

7 hours ago, lkv said:

Of course, the wealthier demographic of any country is more educated and behaves in a totally different way than the peasants. This is not limited to China. All I was saying was, since Thailand's largest number of tourists anually is Chinese (about 9 million), the large majority are not high net worth, less educated, and behaving accordingly.

I don't understand why Thai people are so shocked, they dreamed the cream of the cream will be coming. Those generally go to Canada, Australia, etc. But yes, some upper middle class might end up in Thailand as well ?

Why would the cream of the cream to Canada or Australia?

Here in lies the rub for zero baht tourism bait and switch. The cost of the package tour package

does not cover the costs. The tour guide needs the kick-back from the shops to cover the costs.

No purchase, no kickback, no money to pay the costs of the tour. 

Get rid of them all. The Chinese guides and all the bullshit their tourists bring to Thailand is astounding. But this is the standard MO for a tour in China, too: one trip to where you planned, 3 government controlled shopping trips. Although, no one actually threatened us. We were happy to buy the trinkets. 

I am sure noone cares, but 7-Eleven lose my business whenever I see more than 5 Chinese tourists in our local: they are THAT annoying. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smotherb said:

Why would the cream of the cream to Canada or Australia?

They seem to enjoy the environment in Vancouver as it's much more beautiful and they don't get the pollution seen in China.

They have been buying property in Canada and Australia like there is no tomorrow.

• Like 1

When I worked in HK in the 80s  I got upset by the number of times shopkeepers, tradesmen and even department stores tried to cheat me, thinking this was discrimination against gwailos.  But a Chinese colleague told this was quite normal in HK, which had virtually no consumer protection laws in place at that time, and everyone had to look out for themselves, not just foreigners. He said there was an attitude amongst business owners that there were 5.5 million people in HK and you should gouge as much as you could out of each one that came your way, as there were plenty more and you were unlikely to meet the customer you cheated again.  Seems to sum up the attitude of the Chinese tour guide.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:39 AM, Emster23 said:

Lock this POS up. Put yourself in Chinese tourists place "Hey honey, let's go see Thailand, it should be fun getaway" and then get here and are threatened by the tour you paid for? Outrageous

In mainland China you see people threatening each other every day, often with the odd slap around the head but always with much shouting and gesticulating.  I am not suggesting that this is acceptable from a tour guide or anyone else but it does happen quite a lot. 

• Thanks 1

OK , Very interesting quality chinese tourist , tour guides at work have work permit or deported ? 

? Tong or Snakeheads next generation chinese mafia well entrenched in pattaya

welcome to thailand Quality tourist and guide

Edited by Mad mick
error

I am a chinese people in pattaya.

In fact, Chinese people are very tired of intermediaries and guides because too many people are being cheated.

In China, there is a saying that the most terrible thing to go to Thailand is not local cheaters, but Chinese speaking guides. As a matter of fact, smart chinese guy will try to avoid entering a restaurant with Chinese signs as far as possible. No matter what the signboard is, there is only one word for us, "we are liars, come fast."

As for the fact that you are talking about the growth of young and decent Chinese tourists, it is a fact that China is a fast developing country, leading to a great difference between the education and quality of people of different ages, but as time goes on, you will see more decent and friendly Chinese tourists.

Edited by daemon