Car Registration.. Does the seller have to be there??

Can i just get a copy of relevant Documents to change Registration?

I have the car  in pattaya but the x wife lives in Buriram and it's in her name.. Or do i have to go to Bururam??

Edited by Huayrat

You can do everything in Pattaya without her, you just need the signed documents from her, just google something like "thailand transfer car" and you should see which documents you need (or call your local DLT and ask them)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You can do everything in Pattaya without her, you just need the signed documents from her, just google something like "thailand transfer car" and you should see which documents you need (or call your local DLT and ask them)

Fantastic Jack cheers..

Tip, for the copies required that she has to sign, DO NOT date them, I had a mate that bought a car up in Chaiyapoom, had everything he needed, but had to go back up there and get some replacements because they had been dated when signed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaikahuna said:

If the car is registered in Buriram, plan on a road trip. I bought a truck that was registered in Khon Kaen and had to make 3 trips to KK and back.

Why did you have to do this?

5 minutes ago, thaikahuna said:

If the car is registered in Buriram, plan on a road trip. I bought a truck that was registered in Khon Kaen and had to make 3 trips to KK and back.

Yes, this is why I was asking the OP if he intends on changing the province it was registered in or not, if the car is registered in Buriram and he only wants to change the owners name, then this has to be done at Buriram DLT office.

Edited by Mattd

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why did you have to do this?

Owner info can only be changed at the province that issued the plates.

Edit: And in some provinces, they will only accept an address from that province.

Edited by Mattd

6 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Owner info can only be changed at the province that issued the plates

I don't see a reason why one would only want to change the name but not the registered province, but ok, that's a reason why you would have to go to the DLT where the car is registered.

But it would require only one trip and not 3 as thaikahuna mentioned.

Edited by jackdd

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Owner info can only be changed at the province that issued the plates.

Edit: And in some provinces, they will only accept an address from that province.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't see a reason why one would only want to change the name but not the registered province, but ok, that's a reason why you would have to go to the DLT where the car is registered.

But it would require only one trip and not 3 as thaikahuna mentioned.

My understanding based on previous topics and TV member @johng and validated at Pattaya DLT as follows -

Car registered in BKK to change ownership go to BKK DLT 

If you do not want to go to BKK go to Chonburi main DLT and process takes 2 days and includes changing the no. plates as well - no option not to.

Appreciate not Buriram but principle should be the same

16 minutes ago, topt said:

My understanding based on previous topics and TV member @johng and validated at Pattaya DLT as follows -

Car registered in BKK to change ownership go to BKK DLT 

If you do not want to go to BKK go to Chonburi main DLT and process takes 2 days and includes changing the no. plates as well - no option not to.

Appreciate not Buriram but principle should be the same

It depends on the day sometimes, late 2016 I paid off the finance on my car, which was registered in Bangkok, to change from the finance company's name to mine, then I had to  change the registration of the car from Bangkok to Chonburi, they would not let me use Bangkok plates with a Chonburi address, DLT said that the rules had changed on this just a month or so before.

It was an easy process that was completed within 3 hours at Chonburi DLT office (in Chonburi, cannot be done in the Pattaya office) plates and new tax were issued that same day.

2 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Tip, for the copies required that she has to sign, DO NOT date them, I had a mate that bought a car up in Chaiyapoom, had everything he needed, but had to go back up there and get some replacements because they had been dated when signed.

Indeed! Very good advice mate, I wished I had known that a year ago, so take heed, the documents if dated can cause you huge headaches even if everything else is correct.

10 hours ago, Mattd said:

Where was the car originally registered, do you plan on changing just the owners name or include where it is registered?

Just the Name but i will change the Province if it means not going back to Buriram..

Edited by Huayrat