Video: Motorcycle rider dead but his friend has remarkable escape

webfact

Whether the rider was in the right or not he should have seen the truck and taken avoiding action.

When on a motorcycle never claim "the right of way" (if you had it) and never have blind faith in other road users!

The rider, unfortunately, paid the ultimate penalty. :sad:

27 minutes ago, Keesters said:

I am not going to apportion blame but how come the motorcycle driver not see that truck. Whoever has right of way if you see a large object such as that truck in your path you do something about it like slow down or stop

I realize this is Thailand but how can apportioning blame even be a consideration? The truck was on the main drag. The motorcycle was crossing the main drag from a secondary road. Stop sign or not, the motorcycle should have slowed down or stopped, as did the previous motorcycle, then proceeded when the way was clear. This is only common sense, not even defensive driving!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kannot said:

NOT in Thailand though, Ive read about this before, pretty sure he is correct, certainly at islands as  well, bizarre eh!!

No Traffic from the right has priority.. How can you turn if traffic is given priority from the left. You have to wait for traffic from the right to pass first before turning. Doh.

How you are supposed to make a turn and join a main road

Correct traffic behaviour: driver B should wait for driver A to pass before turning into a main road.

How Thai drivers join traffic on a main road

Actual and incorrect Thai-style traffic behaviour: driver B hardly waits for driver A to pass, but instead cuts a big piece of the corner, thereby even driving against the traffic flow and then curve into the main road.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

I am the only who thinks that they both didn't wear helmet and that the bike's driver got his skull smashed on impact?

Very scarry. This situation happened to the lorry's driver can happen to anyone... That is why I am  scared to drive in Thailand, because Thais are idiot drivers.

Edited by Tech65
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tech65 said:

This situation happened to the lorry's driver can happen to anyone... That is why I am  scared to drive in Thailand, because Thais are idiot drivers.

Hence the reason why you need a dashcam here. Insurance companies will now give a discount if you show you have one.

22 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

If he was going just a little bit slower both on the bike would be dead. Riders fault, no spatial awareness. Happens allot here.

The same shit different day with riders and drivers showing no respect for road rules if there is any !!!!!!

The fault lies clearly with the motorcycle rider, who did not check the intersection and drove into the crossroad without looking and hit the truck at the back last quarter which means the truck was almost clear of the intersection, in comparison the motorcycle that could be seen and crossing before the accident the rider approached the intersection slowly looked left and right and then proceeded to cross quickly, the second rider that got killed just drove without looking killed himself and luckily his mate survived, well - can't fix stupid, eh? 

23 hours ago, steve73 said:

You could make an estimate of the speed the truck was moving at (approx. 4x its length in 2 seconds, so around 25m/s or 90km/hr)...although it does look to be quicker than that. But it would not be difficult to make a better estimate by actually measuring the road.   So even though a speeding driver "could" be considered partly to blame, the onus is clearly on the rider to stop - if he'd actually looked first.

...i agree totally..just that the bikes think because it is a larger vehicle ie a truck, they may be able to make it..of course he should have waited for it to pass.

The motorbike driver is a complete and total oblivious, inept idiot. It's his own stupidity and lack of judgement and lack of driving ability that caused his death. He would have done the exact same with a speeding train. At least the passenger didn't die because of all the bad decisions made by the driver. 

• Like 1

The old man riding the bike never looked to the left , he was only looking straight ahead and followed the other rider, maybe his eyesight were no good. It's a miracle he survived for 51 years with that kind of driving.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 8:02 AM, neeray said:

I realize this is Thailand but how can apportioning blame even be a consideration? The truck was on the main drag. The motorcycle was crossing the main drag from a secondary road. Stop sign or not, the motorcycle should have slowed down or stopped, as did the previous motorcycle, then proceeded when the way was clear. This is only common sense, not even defensive driving!

I said

I am not going to apportion blame

so your post is totally meaningless in context to mine. Take it up with somebody who did apportion blame, plenty of those here including you.

The driver of the truck did not flee the scene and waited for police who charged him with negligent driving causing death.

ridiculous. !!!!!!!!

clearly the bike riders fault just clad it was Thai on Thai and no farang involved. 

• Like 1

On 16/05/2018 at 3:41 PM, BEVUP said:

Certainly not the trucks fault

If there's a stop sign at that bridge you would expect one from where the motor bike was coming from

Looks like he misjudged the passing of the truck 

Not sure he misjudged the truck. Several times a day I see or have to react to idiots like that one: on a bike, car or HGV. They can simply pull out with not one ounce of thought for what they might be about to meet.

The thought of hitting one of these numpties and then being asked to pay the bereaved relatives some money fills me with trepidation as it is not in my nature to reward a moron for being a moron.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, todlad said:

Not sure he misjudged the truck. Several times a day I see or have to react to idiots like that one: on a bike, car or HGV. They can simply pull out with not one ounce of thought for what they might be about to meet.

The thought of hitting one of these numpties and then being asked to pay the bereaved relatives some money fills me with trepidation as it is not in my nature to reward a moron for being a moron.

agree 1000000000000000000% u cant teach stupid

On 16/5/2561 at 5:16 PM, Rally123 said:

What utter rubbish. Do you have many accidents? In countries that drive on the left you must always give way to traffic from the right. If it's a right hand drive country then you always give way to left. Always has been and always will be.

Except in Thailand and France. Left hand drive Thailand has priority from the left, except at roundabouts, although many drivers on roundabouts will (infuriatingly) slow down or even stop to allow traffic from the left to join. France famously has 'la priorite a droite', although this is now usually overridden by signage. No wonder confusion reigns.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:49 AM, 4MyEgo said:

You have to agree, he was moving, and I agree the rider is at fault, but you would expect people to slow down when approaching an intersection, and the reason for that is the obvious, to be able to stop faster, then the speed he was travelling.

If he was going a fraction slower, he would have hit them head on and both would be dead. 

The motorbike driver followed the bike in front and did not look.