U.S. bishop wows royal wedding with impassioned sermon on love

rooster59

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Yes, I turned sound down and kept changing channels and was still there. He was actually preaching to highly educated people about the meaning of love.

Oh, because that's a subject that a University degree signifies its recipient understands? And without one, you're less likely to?

Edited by bristolboy

I suspect most TVF posters would not understand the difference between a Billy Graham type evangelical church and a Baptist, Episcopal or even Methodist gathering, especially in the black centred deep South of the USA, all they would understand is that they all appeared to be the same and are all unlike anything in the UK hence they are rubbish.....narrow minds and xenophobes, form an orderly queue to the right!.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

well thanks, you are very obviously not from the UK....evangelists are big business in the US - praise the Lord almighty - feel the Love spread the love of jeeeesus  …………….hallelujah no condoms she just got pregnant - a virgin, spread the love hallelujah...………………..look it up if you aren't getting it

not everyone buys into the evangelist nonsense that the trailer park communities in the US seem to enjoy and thrive on, put you money here on your way out - right

it really doesn't fit in England for now and I suspect never will especially at a state wedding, it tarnished the whole thing but hey someone got one up on the British Monarchy, like I said the organ player should have started 2mins in, it was cringe worthy even for me, I suspect he went straight to the airport right after. 

If  - his eminence the rev joe blogs nobody hadn't tried to steal the show we would not be talking right now, what was it - 20mins ………...seriously, 2mins was enough of that crap

and not to mention the political trappings involved

someone should have shut him up.....I would have

Halleluja! Halleluja! Halleluja! And there are people who make fun of the Theravada Buddhism. Agree with the crap. 

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Many think that Catholics shouldn't be marrying into the royal family. The elite were not happy with a Muslim (Dodi) so why welcome a Catholic?

Chaes; that over-privileged heir to the English throne, is 'defender of faiths', so perhaps that makes everything OK?!

"Many think.." When someone doesn't have the guts to say it for onself, then the usual ploy is to invoke 'many thnk" or "many say" or etc.. You really thing that a significant percentage of the British population are still partisans of Cromwell. I got some news for you. It's the 21st century.

21 minutes ago, samran said:

Gawd no. Who’d want to be English? Sh!te weather for starters. 

No, I am Australian but I do pay into your wonderful pension system (thanks for that, great value for money) and last I looked Libby was queen of Australia too. And if the five people in front of him happened to fall over and die tomorrow, Harry would be King of Australia as well. 

But i digress, he’s not an evangelist. Far from. He’s an Anglican Bishop from the states. 

You should really get your facts straight. 

As for this not really fitting into England... guess who always got an invite to preach every time he visited England? 

605CEF21-A1F7-421B-9ADF-34CE58813E57.jpeg

5D3A58A9-18AC-4E19-A927-6E1FBB23160B.jpeg

That's a matter of an entirely different complexion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I suspect most TVF posters would not understand the difference between a Billy Graham type evangelical church and a Baptist, Episcopal or even Methodist gathering, especially in the black centred deep South of the USA, all they would understand is that they all appeared to be the same and are all unlike anything in the UK hence they are rubbish.....narrow minds and xenophobes, form an orderly queue to the right!.

You might want to include bigots in that role call.

Read the "stiff upper" comments... Tsk, Tsk!! .....Really!!

People need to lighten up, cut the formal,establishment BS & enjoy life's differences, thrown at you !! 

Thought Bishop "Eddie Murphy" did a sensational job .... 

Edited by eggers
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Melbourne aint much different from Southern England im told ,need to go up for good weather

Winters shorter - summers longer and warmer. Less miserable people. People don’t beat each other up at the football (off the pitch at least). 

16 minutes ago, samran said:

Gawd no. Who’d want to be English? Sh!te weather for starters. 

No, I am Australian but I do pay into your wonderful pension system (thanks for that, great value for money) and last I looked Libby was queen of Australia too. And if the five people in front of him happened to fall over and die tomorrow, Harry would be King of Australia as well. 

But i digress, he’s not an evangelist. Far from. He’s an Anglican Bishop from the states. 

You should really get your facts straight. 

As for this not really fitting into England... guess who always got an invite to preach every time he visited England? 

praise the lord - god is love, love is the earth, earth is love and love is all around

been looking in your history books lately, watching the news lately - yes love and god is all around and it's been working for hundreds of years ….right ? and all in the name of one god or another

I listen to these clerics preaching about god, they are a bit like people telling us about  the weather, they say it's sunny and yet if they took the time to look out the window

anyway never mind  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

"Many think.." When someone doesn't have the guts to say it for onself, then the usual ploy is to invoke 'many thnk" or "many say" or etc.. You really thing that a significant percentage of the British population are still partisans of Cromwell. I got some news for you. It's the 21st century.

Well thanks for that Bristol Boy. Time has passed so fast; where did all those (hundreds) years go? All the people I've met did not want ANY Catholic presence in the royal family. I don't like the Catholic religion any more than I like the royal family.

Edited by owl sees all
added title

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well thanks for that Bristol Boy. Time has passed so fast; where did all those (hundreds) years go? All the people I've met did not want ANY Catholic presence in the royal family. I don't like the Catholic religion any more than I like the royal family.

Ill informed hate monger: She saw the light and changed her religion to Protestant

6 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Really it's a Royal protocol. You could the look their faces he 14-minute speech was totally unexpected, Anyway, I can see not many people appreciate your comments with you pathetically low like rate

Right.

So posts are judged on how many likes they get.

OK.

Whilst were on the subject of things pathetic...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

I have attended multiple weddings ranging from my friends, to work colleagues, to relatives. They have included a diverse assortment of services, from  traditional Hindi, to Roman Catholic to Jewish, to multiple Protestant, to civil. Some were military themed, others were very traditional, while others were basic. All were done with more dignity than this sad affair.

I have not had any failed marriages, nor been abandoned, nor deserted,nor have I abandoned or deserted anyone. I do not have an ex wife who is an alcoholic, and it is highly unlikely I would have been married 20 years ago.

None of this has anything to do with this sham of a publicity event put on to entertain the feeble minded. I was never a republican, but after this event and the cumulative idiocy  of the Middletons, Diana the Bimbo, Charles the adulterer, Fergie the moocher, Andrew, "where's the free lunch" et al,  I will not mourn the modification of the role of the monarchy. It had its day and it is time to move on.

There isn't much difference between the Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo and now  Harry and the amazing Markles. 

Fab post. 

7 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Ill informed hate monger: She saw the light and changed her religion to Protestant

Well I didn't realise that Estrada. Thanks for the news.

I was worried that we were going to return to the pre-Henry days when the Cathloics called the shots.

Can you have dual religion; as in Catholic and Protestant both at the same time? After all some people like more than one football team, or a song, or a woman even.

43 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The Most Rev Bishop Michael Curry, primate of the Episcopal Church

That's when I stopped reading. I thought primates are not allowed in a church? 

That happens when you're gone for so long......:shock1:

Humans are primates, but in this case, primate has a different meaning.

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I was never a republican, but after this event and the cumulative idiocy  of the Middletons, Diana the Bimbo, Charles the adulterer, Fergie the moocher, Andrew, "where's the free lunch" et al,  I will not mourn the modification of the role of the monarchy. It had its day and it is time to move on.

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Let's hear it for those who want England to be a republic. Don't be shy guys. Get posting!

Well said.

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I have attended multiple weddings ranging from my friends, to work colleagues, to relatives. They have included a diverse assortment of services, from  traditional Hindi, to Roman Catholic to Jewish, to multiple Protestant, to civil. Some were military themed, others were very traditional, while others were basic. All were done with more dignity than this sad affair.

I have not had any failed marriages, nor been abandoned, nor deserted,nor have I abandoned or deserted anyone. I do not have an ex wife who is an alcoholic, and it is highly unlikely I would have been married 20 years ago.

None of this has anything to do with this sham of a publicity event put on to entertain the feeble minded. I was never a republican, but after this event and the cumulative idiocy  of the Middletons, Diana the Bimbo, Charles the adulterer, Fergie the moocher, Andrew, "where's the free lunch" et al,  I will not mourn the modification of the role of the monarchy. It had its day and it is time to move on.

There isn't much difference between the Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo and now  Harry and the amazing Markles. 

So you have something in common with Andrew Free Lunch.,,,,Getting Free Booze at Multiple Weddings, so do I then.!.:partytime2:

• Like 1

I thought it was very funny, as it was obvious that the reaction would be amusement amongst the audience - unused to this type of oratory.

A poster on another thread said that he expected the speaker to end his speech with a 'phone no. for donations.  A very funny and accurate comment!

The speech was (IMO) rambling/didn't naturally flow or make sense, but it was still enjoyable as it was so different - and the audience amused reactions were very funny too.

I particularly liked when he said something along the lines of 'I must finish now, as this couple are here to be married' - and then continued with his speech :laugh:!

• Like 1

The more I think about it, and by witnessing the number of heads exploding on this mornings thread, I think Harry and Megan are a class act.

A pure act of subversiveness in many ways, an ‘up yours’ single fingered salute to the poor petals who have found a 14 minutes of dialogue from a black  bishop in the second most boring strain of Christianity (after us Catholics) all too much to handle. 

All they have done is nod their head gently to acknowledge Megan’s background, and the usual suspects have literally pooed their pants multiple times over it. 

Kudos to Harry and Meg. I wish them a long and happy marriage. 

Edited by samran

1 hour ago, CharlesSwann said:

For which Bishop Curry has provided empirical justification.

It's perfectly okay to criticise a person's performance. But it's a bigoted thing when it's linked to race.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

I never thought I'd see such a thing.

But with Obama gone, there's not much interest for this kind of stuff in the US anymore, and gigs must be hard to get.

The queen didn't seem to be particularly wowed.

So you have access to the ratings? Or is this the result of a poll taken by yourself of yourself?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

I never thought I'd see such a thing.

But with Obama gone, there's not much interest for this kind of stuff in the US anymore, and gigs must be hard to get.

The queen didn't seem to be particularly wowed.

I can guarantee the queen was totally unamused. She's a stickler for protocol. This guy cut himself far too big a slice of the proceedings by over-running. The immodesty of it - apart from the content - was the problem. We now have to try hard to be polite and not link that kind of immodesty with the culture he represented.

9 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I’ll check out the Royal Wedding sermon later on YouTube.

Surprised an Imam was not invited to speak.

Captivating? Cringeworthy! Appears an unintelligent babbling coot, and not funny. There are more moving African American pastors on television everyday in the US.

Imagine Harry sitting through this pablum after 5 years at Eton and RMAS.

Fire? I have heard a better theory civilisation started with Beer.

At about 06:30 Her Majesty does not look pleased. Perhaps a cultural nadir of once great Empire.

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143
  • Like 1