People oppose protests, warns govt on eve of big march

webfact

People oppose protests, warns govt on eve of big march

By The Nation

a41f0239f0e4289591668cce35fdee59.jpeg

File photo : Sansern

THE government believes that people do not want any more protests in the country because they do not wish to see a return to the past chaos, said Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd yesterday.

He was referring to a gathering on Saturday in the Ratchaprasong area in memory of the 2010 May political protest that ended in deaths following a military crackdown on protesters.

Sansern said he based his assertion on a recent survey by National Institute of Development Administration in which respondents were asked their opinions on the junta’s policies of returning happiness to the country in the past four years since it seized power.

Sansern said the survey found that what made the respondents happiest was the junta’s peacekeeping and lack of political disturbance.

“The results of the survey reflect that the society does not want to see a repeat of chaos,” he said.

Although the Saturday gathering ended without violence, Sansern said the government believed that no one – including local business operators – wanted to see the gathering as it reminded them of the old times.

Rachaprasong was the gathering place for protests by red shirts against the then-government of Abhisit Vejjajiva that ultimately saw a military crackdown that caused a number of fatalities including of foreign journalists.

Criticising a protest planned for tomorrow by those known as “People Who Want to Have an Election” in which organisers have said they would march on Government House tomorrow, Sansern said the protest may affect the traffic flow and cause trouble for other peoples.

“Many people are fed up with protests that happened in the country in the past 10 years and pushed the country backward. The planned gathering may cause risks of confrontation and violence.” There was no need to protest, he insisted.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30345871

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-21

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Sansern said he based his assertion on a recent survey by National Institute of Development Administration in which respondents were asked their opinions on the junta’s policies of returning happiness to the country in the past four years since it seized power.

Sansern said the survey found that what made the respondents happiest was the junta’s peacekeeping and lack of political disturbance.

“The results of the survey reflect that the society does not want to see a repeat of chaos,” he said.

"...assertion..."

Nuff' said.

• Like 1

I don't think that the junta are trembling in their boots: they will have noted that last Saturday (a weekend) saw only a small gathering of protesters, and they will reckon that a weekday (Tuesday) is unlikely to bring out many more.

A more likely time of mass protests, it seems to me, would be next year, when the 'election' is again postponed (as it assuredly will be). It may just be that that will be the final straw for the Thai people and they will hit the streets in bigger numbers, sick of the lies and deception of the military junta.

I still very much doubt, however, that the numbers reached will be anything like adequate to unseat the dark forces who are currently running things in Thailand. I could, of course, be wrong. Time will tell ...

And there you have it folks, straight from the horses mouth. A large protest is unlikely, but so is an election next year. But he could be wrong and time will tell. What a prediction. Eligius has his finger on the pulse of Thai politics.

This is Eligius in Bangkok, reporting for Thaivisa, Thailand news.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

Yes there would be clashes.

Suthep and his elite dog thugs have been on standby to do the government dirty work for 4 years. 

I do think the paid for Shinawatra "followers" have done much more damage, and will do again.

For money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

Yes: Nineteen Eighty-Four. One of the very greatest political novels (actually, it is far, far more than just a 'novel') ever written in the English language. It becomes more relevant with each passing day.

I wonder why that book is hated so much by Thailand's military junta ....?

Question How many of the junta could of read it? Most cant speak English like 95% of the Thai population. Makes you wonder why they employ lots of English teachers to learn English. Either it's beyond Thais capabilities to learn or most of them don't listen and learn. I would say the second one would be the main cause they can't speak English. The Thai education system is set up so nobody will be left behind and therefore if marks are good or bad you can still go to university so why learn.

• Like 2

All these protests currently activating are just to create momentum as time is clocking to election period. To heat up the atmosphere and remind people not to forget democracy. 

Exactly, it's to remind people that it doesn't have to be like this forever. One day you'll be given your freedom. The bully will be kicked out. Time to pick a new leader, a new party.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Exactly, it's to remind people that it doesn't have to be like this forever. One day you'll be given your freedom. The bully will be kicked out. Time to pick a new leader, a new party.

It'll certainly be an interesting election. I think Thailand is in for troubled times, whatever the outcome, I'm particularly interested in events relating to the absentee landlord. I have odd forebodings.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

It'll certainly be an interesting election. I think Thailand is in for troubled times, whatever the outcome, I'm particularly interested in events relating to the absentee landlord. I have odd forebodings.

People who have an absentee landlord ...

One wonders who will ever help the Thai people. Maybe they need to help themselves. That seems the only way ...

Edited by Eligius

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

People who have an absentee landlord need not look in that direction for any help whatsoever ...

Indeed. The absentee landlord is merely counting his shekels and trying to work out how many more he will get if a few peasants get slaughtered. Prayuth can always be relied upn to be brave in the face of unarmed citizens. That's what bullets are for isn't it? Running into...

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Sansern said the government believed that no one – including local business operators – wanted to see the gathering as it

Arrogant prick - obviously the attendees DO want to the gathering (or are they not real people) ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since when does it matter whether people want chaos or not? It is not like the people organized and conducted those protests either. If people with enough power and money etc want to have protests masquerading as people marching for democracy they'll do it again whenever it suits them. Don't tell us about it, its you the people with money and power doing it.