Nitrogen vs compressed air

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

Lets maybe stay limited to the Hindenberg

- in itself a massive learning experience about legitimate uses for that genre of gases included by the OP,

that led to the acceptance of Nitrogen being beneficial for many peacetime uses

If you want to use it as a ground vehicle.. maybe.

I guess you meant Helium as a replacement for Hydrogen ?

• Like 1

What about buying a compressor? In the long run it is cheaper, if you got more than one car and a few motorbikes at home. Just check the pressure in your tires often and fill up at home. Correct air pressure saves gas.

12 hours ago, transam said:

In LOS it is free from most outlets...?

I can confirm that our tyres need less attention when they have nitrogen. 

Why do they feel happy ?

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

You go from having to top up once a month to once in six months.

I can’t see paying extra for it, but it absolutely has value...

If you had to top up your tires once a month there was obviously a problem with your tires

I check the pressure in my car tires every few months, and then there is maybe 0.1-0.2 bar missing

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you had to top up your tires once a month there was obviously a problem with your tires

I check the pressure in my car tires every few months, and then there is maybe 0.1-0.2 bar missing

Not so, all tyres are different and can react differently to constant temp changes and water content that can be pumped in the tyre via the air...

Mrs.Trans PCX has always needed topping up, and that's a couple of sets..Never had nitrogen in them..

30 minutes ago, transam said:

Not so, all tyres are different and can react differently to constant temp changes and water content that can be pumped in the tyre via the air...

Mrs.Trans PCX has always needed topping up, and that's a couple of sets..Never had nitrogen in them..

Michelin, fit em n foreget em on cars and lighy trucks.?

17 hours ago, mogandave said:

You go from having to top up once a month to once in six months.

I can’t see paying extra for it, but it absolutely has value...

??????????????????

The only time I had to keep topping up my tyres was when I had a slow leak. 

Anyway, what's so hard about checking tyre pressure now and then?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I had those on my truck, they lost air...

Fitted by some cheapo fitting place, not rocket science, dump em in water, look n correct, they dont leak if properly fitted even cheap ones , ask any Kerry Express Driver.

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Fitted by some cheapo fitting place, not rocket science, dump em in water, look n correct, they dont leak if properly fitted even cheap ones , ask any Kerry Express Driver.

Actually they were on from new, whether the factory put air or nitrogen l dod't know.

But I replaced them with the same at a biggish Chinese owned place where they used air.

They ALL lost exactly the same amount of air which told me there was no fitting problem.

Then I fitted a different brand where they used nitrogen, big difference in pressure loss..At home I top up with my own weee pump which will shove water into the tyre and other gases, so they eventually end up being checked more often..

When I had a new set of tyres on my last Tuna they put Nitrogen in them when fitted. Telling me if I ever wanted a top up it was free. Did it the first time then decided I was wasting my time. By the time you got to the garage your tyres were hot so you couldn't get a correct reading.

They did run cooler and took longer to loose pressure (Had an electric pressure temp: gauge fitted in lump) Was it worth the agro to top up IMHO, NO.

40 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

When I had a new set of tyres on my last Tuna they put Nitrogen in them when fitted. Telling me if I ever wanted a top up it was free. Did it the first time then decided I was wasting my time. By the time you got to the garage your tyres were hot so you couldn't get a correct reading.

They did run cooler and took longer to loose pressure (Had an electric pressure temp: gauge fitted in lump) Was it worth the agro to top up IMHO, NO.

When I have been near my place I get them to top up, then I check the pressures first thing in the morning. But it is rare I am near the place so my home pump has stuffed the concept anyhooo...

50 minutes ago, transam said:

When I have been near my place I get them to top up, then I check the pressures first thing in the morning. But it is rare I am near the place so my home pump has stuffed the concept anyhooo...

Have had my Tuna for 1 year now have had to top up tyres with normal air 3 times during that time but only by a few LB.

7 weeks ago topped them, then a trip to the UK lump standing still for 3 weeks been back two weeks checked them yesterday still topped up. Might have a look in a month or so. Nitrogen might be better??? but I'll stick to my Toyo pump. Lot less agro.

0.2 bar is 10%.

I topped them up monthly, and they would all typically be 1-2 psi low.

So your tires lose about the same as mine.

Must be something wrong with yours as well.
  • Like 1