Ideas for my concrete support pillar in our living room

Moon37

Yes, I did not pay attention, nor was I aware of the 5 meter span limit for ceiling beams.  Live in BKK, building a home for my wife's parents in Udon.  Started out as an 8 x 12 (96 SQM).  Got greedy and added one meter for a 9 x 12.  After going through three contractors, found one who was fair and met our bogey.  They reviewed my design and did not bring it up at any time.  The only indication was a small square on the overall floor plan and some 3d pics where the concrete beam was barely noticeable.  And another clue was the pillar support plan, which I thought only supported the base.  (Yes, I'm not construction savy)    We are 6 weeks into the build and when the walls started going up it was obvious and shocking.  It was only then I was informed of the Basic Builder 101 rule of the 5 meter limit. We have a 6 x 5.5 M Living / dining room and the  "telephone pole"  is two meters and three meters into the center of the room.   I've searched on-line, but those are all "show room" type solutions.  When you look at the floor plan, the pole just looks like a guide line intersection.  Aside from deserved YGBSM remarks, any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks Moon37

Floor Plan.JPG

Pillar Support Plan.JPG

Yea, investing in a little more steel in the roofing supports could have gotten rid of the post but at this point make it a round Roman column and put one on the other side of the room to make it look like decorative columns.

• Like 2

if its for "my wife's parents".........did they complain ?   I don't think so.    As others have suggested, try to incorporate it into something .   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rumak said:

if its for "my wife's parents".........did they complain ?   I don't think so.    As others have suggested, try to incorporate it into something .   

Thanks, You're right.  They are so overwhelmed they would not even be using the house and will probably just hang out on the patio.  But, I do have a sense of pride of authorship and want it as if I would be building it (without the expense I would put in).    Thanks, Moon

5 hours ago, Monomial said:

Assuming that tearing up the foundation and starting all over again is not an option, just have them make it a round pole rather than square. It will minimize the profile in the room. They do this buy purchasing a round, cardboard column and just tearing the cardboard off after the cement has set.

Then, if you really want, you can have the finishing guy sculpt some artistic style to it. Maybe add a small, 6cm ledge around the pole where you can sit figurines or something. If you arrange the furniture properly you can make it look like it belongs in the room.

Mono,  That's a good path to follow. I've seen it on line with an nice bench closer to the wall. It's in front of two bedrooms and a pathway so worth plotting out.  Thanks, Moon.

Pillar 1.png

Pole sofa.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Yea, investing in a little more steel in the roofing supports could have gotten rid of the post but at this point make it a round Roman column and put one on the other side of the room to make it look like decorative columns.

RD,  Hadn't followed that thought until now.  It has a good point of breaking up such a large room (with nil furniture) into the Living Room and Dining room and not having a complete wall.   Thanks, Moon

Dual Posts.jpg

15 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I've never been able to figure out why these builders don't use steel beams to make larger spans and much more modern looking designs.

They do, but the avarage Thai constructor prefers to throw up heavy concrete columns and beams. There are constructors using column free load bearing walls internal and external but its all very slow progress.

123truss.jpg.d4d81eac949fbfc99e7de9c99a040fcc.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Can't they just use a engineered beam and remove the support 

Thanks for the good idea. But, aside from their apology due to communication (of which they never brought it up in either language), I don't think they would do it even if I paid extra.  Just to get them to make the "free kitchen counter" longer was like an insult to them and they went ahead and started building it to their with the stove by the window and the sink against the  wall design regardless.  I finally raised enough of a stink, the acquiesced, tore down what was built (with the left over bricks and concrete) and charged me 2500 for the  extra 0.5m plus dismantling.  Thanks again.

Kitchen Sink Change.jpg

23 minutes ago, Farangdanny said:

How interesting. I built a house 11 years ago. The lounge/Dining area is 10 mts x 8mts and the master bedroom above is 8mts X 6.5 mts . No pillars in the middle.  It's still standing !Maybe you should complain to the architect !

Hmm, I guess I should challenge the 5 meter span limit.  I'll try, thanks, Moon

5 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Maybe show builder some pix.

Shed 35M x 8.5 M tiled roof

build15.jpg.31cabb7e513d1db343ac704a23f3d55d.jpg

House roof load on truss beams might be the fix for you

build4.jpg.00cb55f88ee2ee4e0addabc032b49b4e.jpg

Thanks, I saw the truss construction afterwards, but I'm way too late behind the power curve.  Moon

1 hour ago, Moon37 said:

Thanks for the good idea. But, aside from their apology due to communication (of which they never brought it up in either language), I don't think they would do it even if I paid extra.  Just to get them to make the "free kitchen counter" longer was like an insult to them and they went ahead and started building it to their with the stove by the window and the sink against the  wall design regardless.  I finally raised enough of a stink, the acquiesced, tore down what was built (with the left over bricks and concrete) and charged me 2500 for the  extra 0.5m plus dismantling.  Thanks again.

Kitchen Sink Change.jpg

Sometimes even plans don't work as they don't read them. When we built our house I drew out where I wanted the kitchen counters. Then drew in where I wanted the draws, doors, burner and sink. THEN I went out and bought everything and put it where I wanted it. After the builders looked at it in actual size I think it was easier for them to comprehend. Turned out the way I wanted it.

IMGP0641.jpg

IMGP0643.jpg

IMGP0644.jpg

IMGP0645.jpg

IMGP0646.jpg

IMGP0677.jpg

IMGP0679.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 8:23 AM, Monomial said:

Assuming that tearing up the foundation and starting all over again is not an option, just have them make it a round pole rather than square. It will minimize the profile in the room. They do this buy purchasing a round, cardboard column and just tearing the cardboard off after the cement has set.

Then, if you really want, you can have the finishing guy sculpt some artistic style to it. Maybe add a small, 6cm ledge around the pole where you can sit figurines or something. If you arrange the furniture properly you can make it look like it belongs in the room.

What a wonderful suggestion.

19 hours ago, Monomial said:

Strengthening the beam, increasing the width of the surrounding poles and removing the offending pole may require reengineering the foundation. Even if the poles themselves don't need to be increased in size, the footings on each pole are calculated for a specific load. If you suddenly remove one and distribute its load to other 2, you increase the load on the surrounding posts and you could conceivably need to increase the size of each of the footings. So, removing a post at this point could be a really big job and require knocking down the house. Much depends on the specifics of how it was engineered. There is actually nothing wrong with a 6 meter span, but the structure has to be specially engineered for it, and anytime you exceed the arbitrary rule of thumb designs that the government officials understand you need to be prepared with detailed calculations to justify what you are doing. You can imagine that except for commercial buildings, it just isn't done. And even if it is possible to do what you suggest without any other adjustments, you may not be able to get it signed off at the ampur.

At this point, you are almost certainly better off trying to work it into the plan rather than trying to find a way to get rid of it. The time to deal with this problem would have been at the architectural stage before a single footing was poured.

You are assuming any engineering was involved initially.  A trap for the young player on Thai construction

• Like 1