retirement visa

11 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Roger, Read up on currency investment. I have watched too many get burned in stocks and I like the control I have with Xchange investment. The biggest impediment to investing in Brazil is residency to get a bank account that pays some of the highest interest rates in the world.

For me I just set up automatic funding from my BOFA acct to my BB acct in NYC. I invested in a guesthouse/café my GF manages to keep her busy. Only makes about 50K/month but that covers our rent and gives her something to do and a safe place for me to eat and drink, haha.

Sounds good.  Monthly pension I got early on covers "life" here month to month, also push it through BB NYC.  Main capital spits out passive income, it's ok, could be better if I wasn't so lazy about it.  I dabble in individual stocks but not much.  Thought about FOREX trading once or twice, but can't be arsed.   

Otherwise, the pot of un-invested cash in the US, and the remaining one here in Baht, I keep as contingency funds.  I feel better with a lump of cash I can reach out and touch.  So I suck up the loss of opportunity in exchange for flexibility and having options.  That's how I rationalize it anyway.  LOL. 

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

That was a little over 1% a year over 4 years.

Are you bragging about it or telling us what how foolish you may have been?

Obviously the guy is conservative and that's the way he rolls, maybe not what I would do be for many they sleep better. In any case you're way out of line calling him a fool. I'm sure he would find much of what you say foolish but has the education to know doing such is immature and spiteful.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:41 AM, JAZZDOG said:

varied investments in RE, currency, CDB, passive business investments.

Wow you sound a lot like Stevie Cohen. He likes to manage his own investments. Except he has about 1000 employees to help him  do it.

• Haha 1

It's way off topic for the OP, but I think he got his answer already? 

Otherwise, from time to time, I find it interesting to hear what others are doing financially.  It's a big world out there, for sure.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Obviously the guy is conservative and that's the way he rolls, maybe not what I would do be for many they sleep better. In any case you're way out of line calling him a fool. I'm sure he would find much of what you say foolish but has the education to know doing such is immature and spiteful.

You are out of line answering for him.

Many have made foolish investments in their life I never called him a fool so mind your own business and grow up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Sounds good.  Monthly pension I got early on covers "life" here month to month, also push it through BB NYC.  Main capital spits out passive income, it's ok, could be better if I wasn't so lazy about it.  I dabble in individual stocks but not much.  Thought about FOREX trading once or twice, but can't be arsed.   

Otherwise, the pot of un-invested cash in the US, and the remaining one here in Baht, I keep as contingency funds.  I feel better with a lump of cash I can reach out and touch.  So I suck up the loss of opportunity in exchange for flexibility and having options.  That's how I rationalize it anyway.  LOL. 

I am with you there. I enjoy it and I can do it online. It is amazing in the US the talk is how much one needs to retire. It's not so much how much you have as much as how much it yields versus risk. A million bucks at 4%, 40K per year/ AT 36K or $3000/month, not a whole lot. Many ways to create a 36K cash flow investing just a fraction of that million while keeping the majority safe and liquid. My little guesthouse here makes over US$ 25K/ year and although it is work for my gf it is quite passive for me, I enjoy it and kind of a neat thing to own. Same with the forex, That same return from a million can be had for a US$ 30K investment placed correctly. Is it like poker, maybe, but once you hit a good lick you can lose playing house money for a very long time and if you are even a least bit experienced that likely wont be the case.

10 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Wow you sound a lot like Stevie Cohen. He likes to manage his own investments. Except he has about 1000 employees to help him  do it.

Funny.  Actually people who brag about their money and investments usually have neither. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

BTW:

S&P 500 5 Year Return Summary

• Last Value: 65.76%
  • Latest Period: Apr 2018

You make my point. I see S&P 5yr 2005-2010, a President with a half dozen bankruptcies running rogue. Many scenarios were that 65% can crash and burn in a week or less. 

48 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Funny.  Actually people who brag about their money and investments usually have neither. ?

Exchanging ideas and experiences is not bragging. I am here to listen to different ideas. I have problems with people calling others foolish who present their opinion. You seem to have a problem with people that make too little return on investment AND people who seek higher returns at a higher risk. Give us an original idea if you possess one instead of being critical across the entire spectrum or you can just continue to reply negatively if you wish. Freedom of speech is good.

Edited by JAZZDOG
typo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

You make my point. I see S&P 5yr 2005-2010, a President with a half dozen bankruptcies running rogue. Many scenarios were that 65% can crash and burn in a week or less. 

Oh -- so put it in a safe place like Brazil?

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

Oh -- so put it in a safe place like Brazil?

A CDB in Brazil any time over gambling in the US market, damn straight. Retired and a correction such as 2009, have fun. Many of us saw that coming 5-10 years out and there are so many ways that could repeat itself. But if it is your thing good luck.

Thank you for the good luck wish. I have a very diversified portfolio. 

I remember a NY Times profile about Steven Cohen a few years back before all his legal troubles. It said if you saw him on his trading floor in his rumpled sweater, you could not tell by looking at him whether for that day he was ahead $100 million or behind $100 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Probably he's bragging to his Brazilian pals how much he makes in Thailand..US$25k / year rental income and what else.

The more they talk, the more they have.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

..so much money but bringing 800K into Thailand will mess up his financial.

Fact is I bring far more than 800K into LOS but that doesn't mean that I am not going to optimize my opportunity costs and leave 25K in a non-bearing acct. To do otherwise and forego nearly US$6000/year income. Funny how the same people that say I am foolish to pay 5000 baht each year to have my visa renewal taken care of because it wastes my time likewise thinks it's ok to just leave 6000 bucks on the curb and drive away. It took me 30 minutes to set up repetitive transfers to cover my expenses here. It takes half a day and two trips if I do my renewal.

Thailand J, your financials must be very impressive to just throw away 6 grand a year needlessly.

As suggested by you and maybe others earlier, if the OP gets an income affidavit from his Embassy/Consulate he doesn't have to tie up anything.

... and my IMM office is small enough so that the people there remember me personally which some day may come in handy.

Edited by JLCrab

29 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Probably he's bragging to his Brazilian pals how much he makes in Thailand..US$25k / year rental income and what else.

The more they talk, the more they have.

Let me put this in terms you can understand, you talk smack but haven't come up with any original ideas, just throw shade which speaks for its self. Try and follow me here.

Invest 800K, transfer money to live, drink 8 Leos a day/365/4 years/still have 800K

or

Park 800K in BB, no beer, no income/ 4 years/ no 800K

What part of that do you not understand?

4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

As suggested by you and maybe others earlier, if the OP gets an income affidavit from his Embassy/Consulate he doesn't have to tie up anything.

... and my IMM office is small enough so that the people there remember me personally which some day may come in handy.

I fully understand, that's what we do, gives a reason to take a week vacation in BKK.

My IO handles all my renewal issues, works everyday in the office and we have actually become friends. I agree, really nice to have someone a phone call away. Many places I have done projects it's just good business to pay a fixer, more than well worth the costs.

You said above that you pay 5000 baht to have your visa renewal taken care of. 5000 to whom? I have never paid anyone agent fixer or IO anything other than the 1900 baht fee for extension for purpose of retirement.

Edited by JLCrab

29 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Many people opted the income affidavit instead of 800K. Nothing wrong .

It started when some one bragged about how much he can make with the 800K outside of Thailand, " not so smart" to send 800k here.

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

You said above that you pay 5000 baht to have your visa renewal taken care of. 5000 to whom? I have never paid anyone agent fixer or IO anything other than the 1900 baht fee.

I really hate crowds/waiting so my lady meets me in the restaurant in Patty IO, takes my docs and my GF picks them up with my visa the next day. It is a little more because I get multiple re-entry were I can leave and come back whenever. Like you say it is all about building up a relationship to have somebody in your corner. I spent a decade in Costa Rica developing farms, building houses and it was a priority to have the mayor and police chief on your side. Last permit I got there was for a small 13 lot subdivision and ended up buying brake shoes for a municipal dump truck, sweet.

27 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Let me put this in terms you can understand, you talk smack but haven't come up with any original ideas, just throw shade which speaks for its self. Try and follow me here.

Invest 800K, transfer money to live, drink 8 Leos a day/365/4 years/still have 800K

or

Park 800K in BB, no beer, no income/ 4 years/ no 800K

What part of that do you not understand?

what kinda math is that??

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

I really hate crowds/waiting so my lady meets me in the restaurant in Patty IO, takes my docs and my GF picks them up with my visa the next day. It is a little more because I get multiple re-entry were I can leave and come back whenever. Like you say it is all about building up a relationship to have somebody in your corner. I spent a decade in Costa Rica developing farms, building houses and it was a priority to have the mayor and police chief on your side. Last permit I got there was for a small 13 lot subdivision and ended up buying brake shoes for a municipal dump truck, sweet.

I did my retirement ext in 9 minutes myself, your agent took ten minutes shes too slow.

1 minute ago, Thailand J said:

what kinda math is that??

Your right man, it is better for you to just bring 800K here and leave it in the bank.

Maybe better to just double up and bring 2.4M and you wont have to worry about having enough seasoned come time to renew and still have plenty for Leos

"Just one thing less to think about" Forrest Gump

There use to be a guy on ThaiVisa to whom the conversation would go:

Me: Well you say both A & B are true and I know for a fact that they cannot both be true at the same time.

He: Well that's because I didn't mention C.

• Like 1