retirement visa

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

There use to be a guy on ThaiVisa to whom the conversation would go:

Me: Well you say both A & B are true and I know for a fact that they cannot both be true at the same time.

He: Well that's because I didn't mention C.

I can't win a debate with a slippery person.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

That was a little over 1% a year over 4 years.

Are you bragging about it or telling us what how foolish you may have been?

Neither.

But it's a damn sight better than I was getting for it in the UK.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

I can't win a debate with a slippery person.

Sure you can, just pick a topic of which you have some experience/knowledge. But I got to tell you that you actually came up with an original thought "slippery person" or maybe at the Agogo last night.

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Me: Well you say both A & B are true and I know for a fact that they cannot both be true at the same time.

He: Well that's because I didn't mention C.

If A & B really cannot both be true at the same time,

then it doesn't matter if there is a C and what this C could be.  :cool:

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

If A & B really cannot both be true at the same time,

then it doesn't matter if there is a C and what this C could be.  :cool:

OK then how about this:

He: Well that's because I didn't mention C ...

and D = A & B cannot be true at the same time unless C is also present.

14 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Fact is I bring far more than 800K into LOS but that doesn't mean that I am not going to optimize my opportunity costs and leave 25K in a non-bearing acct. To do otherwise and forego nearly US$6000/year income. <snip>

So a 6K annual return on 25K is 24%. From the Financial Times (UK) JANUARY 9, 2018 :

The global hedge fund industry last year produced its best returns since 2013, driven by strong performances from managers who bet on stocks.

Figures tallied by HFR, the research group, this week show that hedge funds across all strategies produced returns of 8.5 per cent in 2017, better than the 5.4 per cent recorded in 2016.

https://www.ft.com/content/cd928772-f08a-11e7-b220-857e26d1aca4

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2018 at 2:36 AM, JAZZDOG said:

You study history. I have lived there a long time so that matters as I spend the currency and have averaged 12% interest.  Obviously you don't enter at an historic low and in hindsight you could site your example for any currency investment. We are not talking long term. I funded my account during the global meltdown 2009 from an account in Scotia BankCR earning 7% and drew out funds to purchase a beach front lot in 2011. That CDB yielded 50% over two years plus the I-rate averaged 12%. More recently I funded the same account in jan/16 and withdrew funds to payoff a house one year later which returned 25% while the I-rate reached 14% for some time. My seed money remains untouched. I believe you're maybe correct with the uncertainty of the upcoming election, I hope so. 5:1 is possible which will be another great opportunity. My gut tells me it may have topped out already. Forbes predicts the Real to be near 3 in a year from now. The currency deal only works for me in a country with wide swings high and low. In any case at this point I am playing 100% with the houses money. Brazil for sure has its issues but the abundant nature resources makes it a much different place to invest than others.

BRAZIL FOR SURE HAS ITS ISSUES...haha now that is an understatement...brazil has the highest murder rate in the world...60000 murders a year !! its like vietnam war (on the US side) year in year out...what i;m saying is that countries like brazil are unpredictable...the BRL can be 5 in one year just as much as it can be 3...and no expert can tell when and how !!! and you can't take that to the bank !!

9 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

BRAZIL FOR SURE HAS ITS ISSUES...haha now that is an understatement...brazil has the highest murder rate in the world...60000 murders a year !! its like vietnam war (on the US side) year in year out...what i;m saying is that countries like brazil are unpredictable...the BRL can be 5 in one year just as much as it can be 3...and no expert can tell when and how !!! and you can't take that to the bank !!

You just confirmed exactly how it is possible. To earn these yields it must be a currency that has wide swings high and low coupled with patience. It's not rocket science. Just put yourself in a position to pull the trigger during historic peaks (like presently) and be prepared to ride out any setbacks. It's a bit like poker, based on probability and historical statistics. And like poker you can play less inhibited once your funding on the houses money. And as for taking it too the bank, been there, done that on several occasions and about to invest again following the upcoming election in October. Do you actually believe there are experts who can predict what's going to take place on Wall Street under the current administration? Another massive terrorist attack, the next bubble or Madoff. 

11 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

You just confirmed exactly how it is possible. To earn these yields it must be a currency that has wide swings high and low coupled with patience. It's not rocket science. Just put yourself in a position to pull the trigger during historic peaks (like presently) and be prepared to ride out any setbacks. It's a bit like poker, based on probability and historical statistics. And like poker you can play less inhibited once your funding on the houses money. And as for taking it too the bank, been there, done that on several occasions and about to invest again following the upcoming election in October. Do you actually believe there are experts who can predict what's going to take place on Wall Street under the current administration? Another massive terrorist attack, the next bubble or Madoff. 

I WISH YOU GOD LUCK IN WHATEVER INVESTMENT YOU DO. SEEMS LIKE YOU WILL NEED IT.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JLCrab said:

So if the guy on Forbes says that Brazil is a BUY, that means that he has already bought and is recommending that others buy to push the price up further so then he can then sell.

That's the best you can come up with, come on Crabby.

so finally, after a lot of research here and in other places, went to the immigration office to get my Non Imm O Visa.

i thought i have anything ready. but what did the immigration officer told me?

you need to show a six month contract with I.D. photos of your land lord.

i asked him how am i supposed to sign a six month contract when i don't have a visa for six months?

WELL, than he got into what i call THE LOOP - paradoxes or bugs in bureaucracy that get things stucked , maybe cause they meant to do so...

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

so finally, after a lot of research here and in other places, went to the immigration office to get my Non Imm O Visa.

i thought i have anything ready. but what did the immigration officer told me?

you need to show a six month contract with I.D. photos of your land lord.

i asked him how am i supposed to sign a six month contract when i don't have a visa for six months?

WELL, than he got into what i call THE LOOP - paradoxes or bugs in bureaucracy that get things stucked , maybe cause they meant to do so...

So, sounds like you do not qualify or meet the Thailand requirements.

Try Cambodia, I hear they are much more friendly regarding this issue.

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So, sounds like you do not qualify or meet the Thailand requirements.

Try Cambodia, I hear they are much more friendly regarding this issue.

well, my nationality do meet the Non Imm O Visa, and as i mentioned, i did come prepared, but no where in the 

requirements in says i have to show 6 months real estate contract...do you know for sure that i can get this type of visa also in cambodia OR other thai consulates?

3 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

well, my nationality do meet the Non Imm O Visa, and as i mentioned, i did come prepared, but no where in the 

requirements in says i have to show 6 months real estate contract...do you know for sure that i can get this type of visa also in cambodia OR other thai consulates?

I suggested before that the consulates in Savannakhet or Penang are the best nearby locations to get the non-o visa. At both locations you will need to show the 800k baht you have in the bank now and proof of retirement which can be a income affidavit showing any amount of money.

Phnom Penh can be difficult to get the non-o visa.

If recall correctly you do not qualify to apply for the visa at immigration since your 800k was not transferred into the country.

Not all offices require a 6 month rental agreement. Perhaps that was only to apply for the non immigrant visa. It may not be needed to apply for the extension of stay.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I suggested before that the consulates in Savannakhet or Penang are the best nearby locations to get the non-o visa. At both locations you will need to show the 800k baht you have in the bank now and proof of retirement which can be a income affidavit showing any amount of money.

Phnom Penh can be difficult to get the non-o visa.

If recall correctly you do not qualify to apply for the visa at immigration since your 800k was not transferred into the country.

Not all offices require a 6 month rental agreement. Perhaps that was only to apply for the non immigrant visa. It may not be needed to apply for the extension of stay.

yes, i applied for the Non Imm O Visa. thanks again for your advice. but what is proof of retirement which can be a income affidavit showing any amount of money? Won't the 800K baht in the bank will be sufficient for those consulates? will it be enougth if i will go there with my thai bank passbook???

12 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

yes, i applied for the Non Imm O Visa. thanks again for your advice. but what is proof of retirement which can be a income affidavit showing any amount of money? Won't the 800K baht in the bank will be sufficient for those consulates? will it be enougth if i will go there with my thai bank passbook???

They income affidavit is to prove you are retired. That is one of their requirements if showing the 800k baht in the bank. You could also do a affidavit stating you are retired.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:43 AM, JAZZDOG said:

Go to immigration and tell them what you want. I believe the non-O is 90 days, cant remember. I hired an expeditor for 15K to do it all. The 800K for two months before you get the RV. Another option is an affidavit from your embassy that you make 800K in retirement income. It is not that big a deal.

Told you to get a fixer for 15K seventy comments ago. Everyone is like " Oh no, too much money ". Deal is the fixer will know somebody and that somebody gets a little bump and you fly thru, no problem. That's why you and others get friction, no grease. If you had an expeditor you would be done by now and not talking about taking trips around the country finding an IO that might see things your way. Not many places on earth you can get a 15 month visa for US$ 600 just handing off a few documents to an expeditor. You really sound like a person who needs to come off the 15K and be sides if you have some problem with immigration down the road you will have a rent-a-buddy.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They income affidavit is to prove you are retired. That is one of their requirements if showing the 800k baht in the bank. You could also do a affidavit stating you are retired.

Never had to furnish that. Just had to meet the age requirement

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

And than does it mean i am not allowed to work anymore outside of thailand?

17 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Told you to get a fixer for 15K seventy comments ago. Everyone is like " Oh no, too much money ". Deal is the fixer will know somebody and that somebody gets a little bump and you fly thru, no problem. That's why you and others get friction, no grease. If you had an expeditor you would be done by now and not talking about taking trips around the country finding an IO that might see things your way. Not many places on earth you can get a 15 month visa for US$ 600 just handing off a few documents to an expeditor. You really sound like a person who needs to come off the 15K and be sides if you have some problem with immigration down the road you will have a rent-a-buddy.

Not many places on earth you can get a 15 month visa for US$ 600??? many places on earth will give you 1-2 year visa for less than that, and with no headechs and changing requirements every few months / officers. for example cambodia give you one year visa for 300 USD, no need for bank deposits (allthought cambodian USD deposits pay 6-7% annualy !!) . philipines you can come and go as you wish, for years, get extention for 2-3 months with no problem, no one in the airport will tell you "YOU IN OUT TOO MUCH". And most european and south american countries will give you 6 months visa on entry, and than extentions very easy (if you have a first world passport). that is why i wonder why i have to struggle like that. and why to pay 15K for a "fixer" who might as well bullshit me as it happans so many times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Not many places on earth you can get a 15 month visa for US$ 600??? many places on earth will give you 1-2 year visa for less than that, and with no headechs and changing requirements every few months / officers. for example cambodia give you one year visa for 300 USD, no need for bank deposits (allthought cambodian USD deposits pay 6-7% annualy !!) . philipines you can come and go as you wish, for years, get extention for 2-3 months with no problem, no one in the airport will tell you "YOU IN OUT TOO MUCH". And most european and south american countries will give you 6 months visa on entry, and than extentions very easy (if you have a first world passport). that is why i wonder why i have to struggle like that. and why to pay 15K for a "fixer" who might as well bullshit me as it happans so many times.

I agree, there are better places for you too go if getting a retirement extension here is that stressful and difficult for you. Hard to understand because I have long stay visas in two of the countries you mention and both were expensive and time consuming. Thailand was a walk in the park and I come and go without any problems. My expeditor is a very nice person, no BS and gets paid only when I receive my paperwork completed.

6 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

And than does it mean i am not allowed to work anymore outside of thailand?

No it does not. It just a requirement to get the visa that means nothing after you get the visa.

16 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

I agree, there are better places for you too go if getting a retirement extension here is that stressful and difficult for you. Hard to understand because I have long stay visas in two of the countries you mention and both were expensive and time consuming. Thailand was a walk in the park and I come and go without any problems. My expeditor is a very nice person, no BS and gets paid only when I receive my paperwork completed.

so you like your expeditor. i see. that is nice.

14 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Not many places on earth you can get a 15 month visa for US$ 600 just handing off a few documents to an expeditor.

13 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

jomtien

Are you claiming you got a 15 month Visa from Jomtien for $600 without any proof of financials.