Singapore is the most ‘peaceful’ country in Asia. Who ranks at the bottom?

webfact

Singapore is the most ‘peaceful’ country in Asia. Who ranks at the bottom?

The report measures the perception of people about order and security.

By The Thaiger

1-8.jpg

Thailand is the 69th most ‘peaceful country in the world’. Pakistan ranks the lowest of any Asian country in the list at 113th most peaceful.

While Singapore is seen as the most peaceful country in the world, India, Bangladesh, Philippines and Pakistan rank lowest, according to recently released World Justice Project (WJR) report.

Japan, South Korea, China and Mongolia fill up the top five positions of countries where people feel secure with relative peace in their country.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/well-being/singapore-is-the-most-peaceful-country-in-asia-who-ranks-at-the-bottom

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-24

46 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Not surprised, with everyday news of mad people shooting at each other. Peace only inside home, warzone once I stepped out.

Warzone ? Not one for much hyperbole are you ?

Perhaps a move further North, plenty of space and plenty of peace and quiet.

• Like 2

Globally, Singapore is ranked 13th, whereas is was ranked 9th in 2016. Countries heading the list are Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, New Zealand, Austria, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom and Estonia.

World Justice Project

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Justice_Project

https://worldjusticeproject.org/

Interactive map:

http://data.worldjusticeproject.org/

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Given that Myanmar is portrayed so negatively by the media especially in the West, it's interesting to see that they rank as being more peaceful than Thailand. 

I think the survey is conducted in-country, so it would represent how locals see things, rather than reflect outsider's views. The "peaceful" bit is possibly misleading - the poll is more about "Rule of Law", as defined here:

What is the Rule of Law?

https://worldjusticeproject.org/about-us/overview/what-rule-law

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Because Singaporean taxis put the meter on, every trip, without being asked 7 times to...

That is why it's the most peaceful country on earth...

?

Yeah, but try getting a taxi downtown Singapore. I waited at a taxi stand from 9 until 9.30pm - no taxi. I was not allowed to pick a taxi from the nearby streets because of bus lanes (taxis get fined for stopping on bus lanes). Eventually found a taxi stand with a large queue. Not a great town if you are disabled!

Just now, Proboscis said:

Yeah, but try getting a taxi downtown Singapore. I waited at a taxi stand from 9 until 9.30pm - no taxi. I was not allowed to pick a taxi from the nearby streets because of bus lanes (taxis get fined for stopping on bus lanes). Eventually found a taxi stand with a large queue. Not a great town if you are disabled!

Did you try Grab car or Grab taxi?

So get the damn fact straight, Singapore a country or a city, I often see they call that boring island a city, and the next day a country,confused.

i think japan is more peaceful then Singapore, singapore have a very large immigrants population.

they do the same as Norway, the more they   pay to the UN, and those statistics bureau the better ranking they will get.

4 minutes ago, bapoboy said:

So get the damn fact straight, Singapore a country or a city, I often see they call that boring island a city, and the next day a country,confused.

i think japan is more peaceful then Singapore, singapore have a very large immigrants population.

they do the same as Norway, the more they   pay to the UN, and those statistics bureau the better ranking they will get.

It is a country. It has a national government, issues passports, has it's own currency and armed forces. 

It's wealth is related to it's geographic position and shipping.

Interesting to muse what would have happened if myopic Thai governments had decided to build a ship canal and effectively marginalized Singapore.

Warzone ? Not one for much hyperbole are you ?

Perhaps a move further North, plenty of space and plenty of peace and quiet.
I own a car and Bangkok is not convenient enough for me. Moving out of Bangkok, will be living in jungle.

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

Not surprised, with everyday news of mad people shooting at each other. Peace only inside home, warzone once I stepped out.

I read the news.

Same in Holland.

Yes, very strict gun laws.

For people abiding the laws, that is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

Try uber then... Simple