Looking for mainly vegan or vegetarian restaurants that use little or no salt and no MSG

watgate

On 5/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, Kohsamida said:

I agree 100% about refined oils or refined anything when it comes to food.  Not good for you at all.  Imm Aim cooks that way Exactly...No MSG, No oil.  I'm also plant-based and take it seriously.  Imm Aim is my favorite place in Chiang Mai for healthy Vegan fare.

Thank you - Looks interesting - not pure vegan but thats OK as I am sure that I can talk to them and get what I want or at least close to it...

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Thank you - Looks interesting - not pure vegan but thats OK as I am sure that I can talk to them and get what I want or at least close to it...

I don't know why people go to Imm Aim when there are much better vegetarian shops around.

I went to Imm Aim once to try the food there and never went back again.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I don't know why people go to Imm Aim when there are much better vegetarian shops around.

I went to Imm Aim once to try the food there and never went back again.

There is perhaps nothing more subjective than food and restaurants. I know plenty of people who love Imm Aim and some who don't.  Personally, there are some things on their menu I love, and some things I really don't care for at all.  It's really a personal preference thing, not that one restaurant is better than another.  At least that's how I see it.  Of course, with over 200 Vegan restaurants to choose from here in Chiang Mai, finding a "favorite" certainly shouldn't be a problem

On 5/24/2018 at 4:45 PM, EricTh said:

I'm allergic to MSG so I've been hunting around. Most vegetarian shops in Thailand use MSG so very few don't use.

The ones that don't put MSG but still taste delicious is Pun Pun restaurant in Wat Suan Dok . It has great reviews in the past.

You cannot be allergic to amino acid, you can be allergic to protein. In short you cannot be allergic to MSG but you can be sensitive to it, so completely different story.

Just be a recycled vegan!  Cattle eat grass I eat the meat etc from cattle.  No problem.

I sympathise for those who have a real intolerance/allergy but a very high percentage of people who "claim" to be allergic/intolerant to various foods and supplements are found to be telling little "porkies" and are just deluding themselves to follow the latest "crazy" food fad.  "Gluten free" is one of the worst/best examples!

Just do a little Google search (other search engines are available!) and come into the real world and let your kids, and yourselves get exposed to germs etc and eat dirt!

Edited by scottiejohn
missing r
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

A friend has a food business and he cooks some vegetarian curries for me. I buy them frozen.

I thought you lot were into fresh healthy food!  

Frozen veg curries! ?  The mind bogles at the nutritional value of that and why you can't just boil up some veg to pulp and add some curry powder or better still 5 spice! Just how long does it take to boil a pan of vegetables?  (the non human variety as the cannibal said!)

Edited by scottiejohn

13 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I thought you lot were into fresh healthy food!  

Frozen veg curries! ?  The mind bogles at the nutritional value of that and why you can't just boil up some veg to pulp and add some curry powder or better still 5 spice! Just how long does it take to boil a pan of vegetables?  (the non human variety as the cannibal said!)

Fresh is good, but not critical as an example fresh frozen vegetables are normally better than most super market vegetables in terms of nutrition.

The curry uses good ingrediants and is made without salt, sugar and oil then quickly frozen.

I use the curry on top of fresh organic steamed vegtables from garden - so all is well. I normally don't boil vegetables.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

There is perhaps nothing more subjective than food and restaurants. I know plenty of people who love Imm Aim and some who don't.  Personally, there are some things on their menu I love, and some things I really don't care for at all.  It's really a personal preference thing, not that one restaurant is better than another.  At least that's how I see it.  Of course, with over 200 Vegan restaurants to choose from here in Chiang Mai, finding a "favorite" certainly shouldn't be a problem

Actually what many consider boring is probably very healthy food - often cooked without oil, sugar, msg and salt.

From what I have seen Most vegan restaurants are not setup to cook like this...

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

fresh frozen vegetables

How can something be fresh and frozen at the same time?  It is one or the other.

If you meant to say that they are flash frozen soon after picking then they do not have more nutrients (they cannot gain them in the freezing process) what you get is vegies that are not damaged/infected by handling/packaging etc. 

And anyway my comment was regarding why you were freezing a veg curry in the first place.  It cannot take much time to cook up some veg and throw in your spices and eat it Fresh.

Edited by scottiejohn

Some insulting posts have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, scottiejohn said:

How can something be fresh and frozen at the same time?  It is one or the other.

If you meant to say that they are flash frozen soon after picking then they do not have more nutrients (they cannot gain them in the freezing process) what you get is vegies that are not damaged/infected by handling/packaging etc. 

And anyway my comment was regarding why you were freezing a veg curry in the first place.  It cannot take much time to cook up some veg and throw in your spices and eat it Fresh.

Fresh frozen means frozen when fresh probbaly the same as flash frozen?

Yes, fresh frozen normally have more nutrients than trucked vegetables - at least I have always read this.

I am not retired and work 6 or 7 days a week plus have small kids so I don't cook or clean my house - I hire help as it saves time and money. I aslo don't have cooking skills.

So yes, fresh food would ceratinly be best in most cases but sadly is not always possible.

Also I am not freezing the curry I am buying it from a friend - so leaving curry out in car in this hot weather is not a good idea...

So in summary freezing is not best for taste and nutrients but can be best under certain situations.

If I could find a service that cooks exactly as I prefer and delivers - I would be very happy...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 12:56 PM, EricTh said:

I am sorry but it seems that you haven't tried the others yet.

I've tried Imm Aim and the food is not delicious at all, it's quite bland. Furthermore, prices are more expensive.

Do try Pun Pun and you'll see the difference.

You were right ? Tried Pun Pun and it was terrific!  Vegetarian Spring rolls, salad with pumpkin sauce. flat bread & curry, and for desert, bananas in coconut milk.  Thanks for suggesting it.  Oh yeah, and you were right about the price; I guess Imm Aim is a bit on the pricey side by comparison.

So many great places to eat in Chiang Mai!  I spend time in Pattaya (Jomtien) and it doesn't even come close by comparison.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2018 at 4:07 AM, Kohsamida said:

Vegetarian Spring rolls  ...

My wife makes me vegetarian Vietnamese deep-fried spring rolls ( Cha Gio ).  The big ones with the rice wrapper.  Bean curd, dried tree fungus (mouse ear?) mushrooms, mung bean glass noodles and whatever little spices  and veggies she uses.  Served with a tamarind-peanut-pepper sauce.  They are to die for - smell so good!  But they take a lot of prep time, so only done a few times a year.  He regular ones have chopped pork instead of bean curd.

I help her as the "wrapper man", as those rice wrappers are tricky to peel off the bundle when they stick together.

photo.jpg

Edited by Damrongsak