Looking for mainly vegan or vegetarian restaurants that use little or no salt and no MSG

watgate

Since I need to be on a low salt diet I was wondering if anyone knows of any vegan or vegetarian restaurants or food outlets that use very little salt and no MSG. I  realize most establlshments like to use a lot of salt and MSG to make their food taste better and more inviting but if anyone knows for certain of any establishments that don't use a lot of salt and no MSG in their cooking I would be most appreciative. 

Edited by watgate

I'm allergic to MSG so I've been hunting around. Most vegetarian shops in Thailand use MSG so very few don't use.

The ones that don't put MSG but still taste delicious is Pun Pun restaurant in Wat Suan Dok . It has great reviews in the past.

Edited by EricTh

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Most of the cheap ahann J places claim they don't use MSG, but pretty much everyone uses salt. Best bet is to go to a place that prepares food on the spot and ask them not to use either one.

https://www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/chiang_mai/

I agree with you 100% - you need to politely tell them what you want.

I am looking for the same as the poster but also low fat & no refined oils with mainly organic ingrediants - I have found not a single place in Chiang Mai.

5 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Most of the cheap ahann J places claim they don't use MSG, but pretty much everyone uses salt. Best bet is to go to a place that prepares food on the spot and ask them not to use either one.

https://www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/chiang_mai/

They do use lots of MSG.

I've asked all of these cheap vege shop where they cook in bulk.

They are reluctant to say or say 'very little' because they think they will lose customers. 

All these shops are mostly Thai Chinese shops and they don't use garlic or onion by Buddhist practise, so they must use MSG to enhance the flavour, if not, not many customers would come.

Those that specially cook individual dishes for you will put MSG by default unless you request them not to put.

Edited by EricTh

Pretty much all of the soy and oyster sauce that is being used contains MSG, so even if they say it's not in the food, it will be in the food anyway. Hardly anyThai/Asian food without soy or oyster sauce, although there could be a difference between naturally occurring MSG and the processed MSG crystalline stuff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rimbuman said:

Pretty much all of the soy and oyster sauce that is being used contains MSG, so even if they say it's not in the food, it will be in the food anyway. Hardly anyThai/Asian food without soy or oyster sauce, although there could be a difference between naturally occurring MSG and the processed MSG crystalline stuff.

Thai and Chinese don't use naturally occurring MSG, they use this which is a slow-acting poison to our brain and invented by the Japanese.

20130716_1_1.jpg

913RJ5dAfVL._SX342_.jpg

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Hard to find because even they promise you not to use MSG they will add some Knorr, what is basically the same. 

Therefore my wife is cooking delicious dinner at home using all the different spices Thailand can offer 

3 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I agree with you 100% - you need to politely tell them what you want.

I am looking for the same as the poster but also low fat & no refined oils with mainly organic ingrediants - I have found not a single place in Chiang Mai.

you can bring a small bottle of olive oil with you and ask them to cook your fried rice or whatever using that.  you can also ask to use  nam man nit noi .....  

best way to start to learn thai is at a restaurant.   practice, practice    and patience, patience

and yes, be polite and when you go back they will remember (that you are nice man)

59 minutes ago, Rimbuman said:

Most soy sauce also contains wheat, which of course is not good for people who require a gluten-free diet.

Fortunately, there is one company in Thailand that makes gluten-free soy sauce that contains no MSG as well:

Megachef

Their fish sauce also contains no MSG.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

I'm allergic to MSG so I've been hunting around. Most vegetarian shops in Thailand use MSG so very few don't use.

With over 200 Vegan restaurants to choose from, you’re certainly in the right town ?  My top pick would be IMM AIM (See map).  A couple others I like are A TASTE FROM HEAVEN, and VEGAN HEAVEN, but IMM AIM is st the very top of my list.  It’s just a few minute walk north of Kae Suan Kaew.  Very cool 2nd floor outdoor dining...I really love this place; real popular with Vegan cyclists. ?

F03EE798-AC73-4A0A-AC2B-9C7AF668FC18.png

Edited by Kohsamida

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

With over 200 Vegan restaurants to choose from, you’re certainly in the right town ?  My top pick would be IMM AIM (See map).  A couple others I like are A TASTE FROM HEAVEN, and VEGAN HEAVEN, but IMM AIM is st the very top of my list.  It’s just a few minute walk north of Kae Suan Kaew.  Very cool 2nd floor outdoor dining...I really love this place; real popular with Vegan cyclists. ?

I am sorry but it seems that you haven't tried the others yet.

I've tried Imm Aim and the food is not delicious at all, it's quite bland. Furthermore, prices are more expensive.

Do try Pun Pun and you'll see the difference.

Edited by EricTh

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

I am sorry but you haven't tried the others yet.

I've tried Imm Aim and the food is not delicious at all, it's quite bland. Furthermore, prices are more expensive.

Do try Pun Pun and you'll see the difference.

I really like Imm Aim, but I'll give Pun Pun a try for sure; thanks ?

2 hours ago, bubba said:

Most soy sauce also contains wheat, which of course is not good for people who require a gluten-free diet.

Fortunately, there is one company in Thailand that makes gluten-free soy sauce that contains no MSG as well:

Megachef

Their fish sauce also contains no MSG.

I've been looking for those soya sauce without MSG for quite some time. Most do have MSG.

Where can I buy this Megachef?

26 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I've been looking for those soya sauce without MSG for quite some time. Most do have MSG.

Where can I buy this Megachef?

Big C.  And before anybody accuses me, no this is NOT an advert LOL ?

snapshot_ 2018-05-25 at 1.07.21 PM.jpg

Edited by Kohsamida

Pink House Garden is one of the best in Chain Mai.

Nice garden and good food

It's totally gluten free, they don't use MSG, they have great cakes for dessert.I know the owner and his wife.

The hasbend have celiac so he knows how to make gluten free food.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d9874138-Reviews-Pink_House_Garden-Chiang_Mai.html?m=19905

Hi I don’t want salt, MSG or sugar added to my food so my Thai wife typed up a small notice in Thai stating that it will make me ill.

I have had it laminated and produce it at restaurants it seems to have achieved the required result.

On a lighter note she originally stated unbeknownst to me “ that it would kill me” resulting in the manager of one restaurant rushing to the table and recovering a meal that had been served !!

6 hours ago, rumak said:

you can bring a small bottle of olive oil with you and ask them to cook your fried rice or whatever using that.  you can also ask to use  nam man nit noi .....  

best way to start to learn thai is at a restaurant.   practice, practice    and patience, patience

and yes, be polite and when you go back they will remember (that you are nice man)

Thank you for the suggestion, but olive oil is a refined oil which is not good for my health.

I eat a plant based whole food diet with no oil salt or sugar - not fun at first but after a while it is fine.

I can't find a single place in Chiang Mai that cooks this way - I wish someone would start a restaurant like this...

34 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Thank you for the suggestion, but olive oil is a refined oil which is not good for my health.

I eat a plant based whole food diet with no oil salt or sugar - not fun at first but after a while it is fine.

I can't find a single place in Chiang Mai that cooks this way - I wish someone would start a restaurant like this...

I agree 100% about refined oils or refined anything when it comes to food.  Not good for you at all.  Imm Aim cooks that way Exactly...No MSG, No oil.  I'm also plant-based and take it seriously.  Imm Aim is my favorite place in Chiang Mai for healthy Vegan fare.

Edited by Kohsamida

11 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I will try them if I pass by

For now I am like a kid with a lunch box I always make food at home and bring it with me when I go out.

Do you cook or just make salad?

Cooking every meal is quite hard work.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 8:08 AM, EricTh said:

Do you cook or just make salad?

Cooking every meal is quite hard work.

I don't normally eat traditional salads as dressings tend to be high fat and or high in calories.

My wife cooks sometimes and a few things I cook.

We have several types of fruit growing - all the Thai basics such as mangos, bananas, longan and papayas.

Also green vegetables and beans - beans are  very easy to grow and good for the soil.

A friend has a food business and he cooks some vegetarian curries for me. I buy them frozen.