Foreign prisoners to be transferred home

23 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Good news for the prisoners and their families. I can't imagine how they must feel to depart the land of smiles.

Even better news for Thailand. Send them back and ban them. 

On 5/25/2018 at 7:26 PM, ramrod711 said:

Good news for the prisoners and their families. I can't imagine how they must feel to depart the land of smiles.

Yes but I noted only 17 Thai are interested in serving the remaining sentence in their home country, fishheads and rice not so good. 

On 5/25/2018 at 9:31 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There might be a couple of countries on that list where the home prisons are actually worse than the Thai ones, perhaps Cambodia and Nigeria.  For the others, I'd assume it would be a considerable improvement.

of course.. this is probably the reason so few thais have attempted to be transferred back to a thailand prison 

On 5/25/2018 at 10:21 PM, observer90210 said:

The law is the law and must be respected by all..

......but if people have been arrested by entering on Visa Exempt and only because thir "crime" was they overstayed say for 15 days.........then such a manner to proceed is a grotesque circus.

......but if people have been arrested by entering on Visa Exempt and only because thir "crime" was they overstayed say for 15 days.........then such a manner to proceed is a grotesque circus.

People are arrested in other countries for overstaying their visas happens in Australia and have seen TV programs of them being arrested in the UK

The difficulty I have is that I comply with the law in relation to my residency in Thailand and with the law when visiting

other countries as do the majority of other people

A minority break the law then scream from the roof tops when apprehended, supported it appears by people like yourself

No sympathy from me I'm afraid

People are arrested in other countries for overstaying their visas happens in Australia and have seen TV programs of them being arrested in the UK

The difficulty I have is that I comply with the law in relation to my residency in Thailand and with the law when visiting

A minority break the law then scream from the roof tops when apprehended, supported it appears by people like yourself

I imagine a lot of Thais would love to be transferred back to Thailand. One has to remember though that it isn't just up to the prisoner. If the host country isn't willing to let the prisoner go, or the home country isn't willing to take them back, that person may be stuck a lot longer than they'd want.

But if a Thai was able to get transferred back to Thailand not only would he be able to have some contact with his family (limited, but better than nothing), he may also possibly benefit from the occasional Royal Pardons that get handed down. A person I know had a 3 year sentence (minor possession charge) and got out a year early as a result of a Royal Pardon. (Which knocked a year off the sentences of all non-violent offenders and those convicted of drug offences resulting in sentences of less than 5 years or something like that. Not help for the serious drug offenders or for violent offenders.)
There's no guarantee of course but a chance sure beats no hope at all !

However, if they were in prison in Norway, Sweden, Finland or Denmark they may not be as willing to come home compared to those who may be in prison in places like Nigeria, Mali or even the Philippines. Can't imagine that the prisons in those countries would be much better than Thai prisons.

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

So be it, your highness !

Edited by observer90210

I read a book once called forget you have a doughter. She was in prison in BKK for drugs and got sent home to the UK and she said she thought Thai prision was better because she had more freedom or something.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 7:32 PM, lungbing said:

When the UK tries to deport its foreign criminals the countries of origin refuse to accept them.

Do they?

Jeremy Wright, the prisons minister, admitted the number of prisoners sent home “remains low”, but said the agreement was at “an early stage”. He said nearly 2,000 foreign offenders were deported last year before their prison sentence had finished.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10761426/Pledge-to-free-up-UK-jails-sees-just-17-EU-prisoners-sent-home-to-serve-time.html

On 5/28/2018 at 11:19 AM, juice777 said:

I read a book once called forget you have a doughter. She was in prison in BKK for drugs and got sent home to the UK and she said she thought Thai prision was better because she had more freedom or something.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

At least they have lots of different people to talk to, imagine being stuck in cell with one person for 23 hours a day.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:31 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There might be a couple of countries on that list where the home prisons are actually worse than the Thai ones, perhaps Cambodia and Nigeria.  For the others, I'd assume it would be a considerable improvement.

I heard from a reliable source that the Nigerian government lets them go within a month of arriving home.

• Haha 1

I heard from a reliable source that the Nigerian government lets them go within a month of arriving home.

I suppose they wouldn’t have many adjustment problems fitting-in with the populace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, DILLIGAD said:

I suppose they wouldn’t have much adjustment problems fitting-in with the populace.

Many of them come back to Thailand and end up doing more jail time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2018 at 9:00 PM, sanemax said:

No they do not . The UK are building jails in Nigeria for UK Nigerien prisoners

Australia is building a new female prison near my home town.  Good to see infrastructure actually being built and governments doing their job. 

Not when the law  has been pt in place by a non elected govt

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 8:32 AM, DILLIGAD said:

I suppose they wouldn’t have many adjustment problems fitting-in with the populace.

The Nigerians have rapidly developed and are now well connected with the Italian mafia. Even countries like South Africa are somehow ruled by them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On May 25, 2018 at 9:15 PM, Kerryd said:

Before any prisoner transfer happens (in Thailand), there is a committee of some very, very senior personnel who review the request and decide whether or not to approve it. It doesn't matter if the prisoner's home country (and the prisoner) have already approved the transfer.
"The Committee for Consideration of the Transfer of Prisoners” is made up of a group of 10 individuals who review every transfer application and decide whether or not to approve it. (I've listed the positions of the people who sit on that committee below.)
Here is the Department of Corrections link (in English) that deals with International Transfers. Note that the information is dated 2010 so it probably needs to be updated.
http://www.correct.go.th/eng/transfer.html

For example, a Canadian with a lengthy criminal history in Canada (Michael Karas), stole a passport while out on probation and flew to Thailand. He met a young woman, shacked up with her for awhile and then murdered her in a fit of rage one day. He mutilated her face to try and prevent her from being identified (and thus linked to him) and then he cut up her body and dumped it in a swamp. He then jumped on a plane and flew back to Canada (still using the stolen identity). 
Karas was arrested (in Canada) and sent back to prison for violating his probation. While in prison Thailand ID'd him as the suspect in the murder, mutilation and dismemberment of the young woman and requested extradition. Faced with that, he confessed to a couple of bank robberies he'd done that the police hadn't been able to solve. He ended up with a couple more years added to his sentence, which ran out in 2011.

Karas was then extradited to Thailand and found guilty of murder (he later claimed that he thought he was only confessing to manslaughter - ignoring the "mutilation" and "dismemberment" crimes it seems). I imagine he got at least a life sentence (probably 2-3 as I think the mutilation and dismemberment of a corpse are also capital crimes that would result in the death penalty normally).

After just 5 years, Karas applied for a Prisoner Transfer so he could go back to Canada. The Liberal "Public Safety Minister" (hork, spit - go get the mop) immediately approved the request.
Karas and his lawyer actually expected that the transfer would happen immediately and that Karas would be set free as soon as he got back to Canada !!!!!!!!! (It seems they think that 5 years in a Thai prison is too harsh for murdering, mutilating and dismembering a young woman.)

I wrote a very, very nasty letter to the Cabinet Minister about this and got a very vanilla response from some flunky in the Corrections department, about how they review all applications and approve/disapprove them on a case by case basis. Total BS. Goodale (the Liberal Minister) hasn't turned down a single application since he took office, regardless of the crime(s) committed or sentence(s) imposed.

This is the same guy who refuses to arrest any suspected ISIS terrorists who've managed to make it back to Canada alive, and who deliberately tries to hoodwink the public by quoting facts and figures he knows are years out of date in order to make the issue seem less problematic. (I'm running out of spit.)

(The response I got back from Corrections Canada  also noted that the host country, Thailand in this case, had to also approve the request before any transfer could happen.)

I also wrote a nasty letter to the newspaper that published the article and noted their extremely lame attempt to portray Karas in a sympathetic light by using terms like "half a decade" instead of "5 years" to make it seem like he's been in (Thai) prison for much longer than he actually has been.

I did a little research on Thai Corrections to see if I could find out who makes the decisions about such transfers, That is how I found out about the committee that makes the decisions and noted the ranks of the people who sit on it. (Well, who are supposed to be sitting on it. Whether it is them or a designated subordinate I have no idea.)

That committee is made up of the following people (or, I assume, their designates):

The Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Justice (Chairman),

The Judge Advocate General,

The Chief Justice of the Criminal Court,

The Chief Justice of the Central Juvenile Court,

The Attorney-General,

The Director-General of the Royal Thai Police,

The Director-General of the Department of Corrections,

The Director-General of the Treaty and Legal Department,

The Director of the Penology Division of the Department of Corrections, and

The Director of the Treaty Division of the Treaty and Legal Department.

So as you can see, it's not just some clerk in some basement office that stamps "approved" on such requests.

Hopefully that committee also agrees that 5 years is not enough time for the crimes Karas committed. I'm hoping they'll also be aware that Canada has a reputation for releasing prisoners as soon as feasibly possible once they're back in Canada, even convicted terrorists. 

Well, you should be happy to know Karas is locked up in my hometown. He just got picked up for robbing banks in Toronto.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/08/24/winnipeg-bank-robberies-arrest-thailand-killing/#.W4IHksQ8KrW

• Thanks 2

Well, I've written to 2 news outlets and the Shadow Public Safety Minister about this so far. Next up I will be send another "strongly worded" email to the sitting Public Safety Minister, the same one who allowed Karas to return to Canada and then get set free almost immediately up arrival.

He's going to hear about this a lot over the next year, as we have an election coming in 2019. Between cases like this and his refusal to arrest any terrorists suspected of having fought for ISIS (and the Liberals fondness for turning convicted terrorists into millionaires), I'm sure the public won't be too happy with them when it comes time to vote.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Well, I've written to 2 news outlets and the Shadow Public Safety Minister about this so far. Next up I will be send another "strongly worded" email to the sitting Public Safety Minister, the same one who allowed Karas to return to Canada and then get set free almost immediately up arrival.

He's going to hear about this a lot over the next year, as we have an election coming in 2019. Between cases like this and his refusal to arrest any terrorists suspected of having fought for ISIS (and the Liberals fondness for turning convicted terrorists into millionaires), I'm sure the public won't be too happy with them when it comes time to vote.

Well if the Tory opposition critic did nothing , such as bring the subject up in question period,  then maybe try Mad Max. It's not about immigration to Canada but might get the Tories in gear.

In the old days I always had 3-4 NDP'ers on the fax machine speed dial who would ask questions verbatim. Big Bill could shake the Commons from it's foundations given the right subject matter. One time when a minister was trying his upmost to protect a friendly corporate interest we sued for all paper work the Feds had on the subject matter. We won in court and received a mountain of photocopies. In there were a bunch of papers titled Question Period Briefing Notes for the Minister of Labour that outlined the dispute we had. So done the right way you can get focus put on an issue at the top of the federal gov if done right.

i don't think this guy is worth the effort myself.

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

You might try writing this guy too.

http://matthewdube.ndp.ca

When you corespond with a critic you may want to CC those in other parties. Spark some competition if you will. Good post after the NP story by the way. It wouldn't hurt sending something simular to the Toronto Star and Sun. Guy like Wormmington might take it up. I do agree with your outrage on this.