Shipping 20 ft container from US to Thailand questions.

sirineou

A couple of things as far as price is concerned.
First this is being handled by my wife's cousin with which we are  very close and who is an import export professional currently working out of Singapore . Second containers going from the US to Thailand is different than a container going from Thailand to the US, and Third Florida is not a manufacturing state , FL is a consumer state. A lot of full containers coming in and empty ones going out.
Thus the difference in price.
Some say it would be a mistake, and it might very well be, but I already have the stuff, if I was to sell it it would be for pennies on the dollar, and the shipping cost to me is so reasonable,that in the end even if it cost me a couple of thousand dollars more, it would not be a disaster.
PS: shipping major electrical appliances from the US is problematic because of the difference in Voltage and phase.

Yeah, containers to the US are always more than containers from the US.

Proximity to the port has a lot to do with cost. Cheapest to Thailand (AFAIK) is Los Angeles to Laem Chabang.

I think you meant voltage and frequency.

Other than a few small clothing items shipped by mail from US, I have nothing in Thailand from US that I did not bring with me on the airplane including one large musical instrument as oversize luggage.

15 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

Your right. To each his own. I did just the opposite and brought everything. Worst thing I ever did. Our leather sofa and recliners were unbearable to sit on. There is no use for a dining room set for eight. Never will use the expensive  china. Won't even go into the appliances I was going to use with converters. I could go on, but what's the point. Always going to be someone on here to challenge it.

Funny. I am sitting on a leather recliner right now and it's quite comfortable.  We use the dining set every day for lunch and dinner.  It's downstairs underneath outside. Wasn't designed for it but actually worked out pretty good and we have people over a lot for BBQs  

But again we are all different and will use different things.  I think a lot of what one brings will be affected by where one lives and their house style and design.  I doubt I would have brought much if I was going to live in a small house with no shop and had no land to work on or my plan to change my life style.  I work on my truck and motorcycle as my hobby and couldn't imagine doing it with Chinese/Taiwanese quality tools you buy at Big C or Tesco.  

Cheers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

First this is being handled by my wife's cousin with which we are  very close and who is an import export professional currently working out of Singapore . Second containers going from the US to Thailand is different than a container going from Thailand to the US, and Third Florida is not a manufacturing state , FL is a consumer state. A lot of full containers coming in and empty ones going out.

Some say it would be a mistake, and it might very well be, but I already have the stuff, if I was to sell it it would be for pennies on the dollar, and the shipping cost to me is so reasonable,that in the end even if it cost me a couple of thousand dollars more, it would not be a disaster.

PS: shipping major electrical appliances from the US is problematic because of the difference in Voltage and phase.

Not to much different in price if going to USA or from USA. USA is probably the most expensive country ship to and from. The handling in USA are out of this world.  Lot of ports in the world where lot of empty containers going out. Doesn't make different regarding export clearance cost etc. and via 1 or 2 ports to get to Laem Chabang. Even we are in Thailand it is not that cheap to road freight a container. My guess is to Khon Kaen and back to port is around THB 25,000.00 and then you unload yourself. So, again USD 3300,- sound so cheap that I would be suspicious regarding any hidden cost.  My friend didn't bring any electrical appliances to USA due to the difference in Voltage and phase.

Concerning other devices to bring or leave.........after reading through these posts regarding difference between US and Thai 220v, got me thinking about all of the computer, phone, and other devices that are dual voltage.   Looks like at least one of my power packs shows 100-240v and 50-60 hz.   So apparently, the frequency is correct for both voltages.   Is that generally the case for dual voltage adapters?   (can't read the fine print on some of them)

Plugged in a Roku adapter.......did not realize it was 110v only until MONTHS later.   Was originally working fine.   Sort of surprised me that it did not blow immediately.  Got a new dual voltage adapter from aliexpress, and I'm back in business so thankfully the device was not affected.

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

for me, your price seems reasonable, particularly since you have a contact in the business.   I used to arrange 20 footers from Hamburg to Chicago, at a cost of $1800, door to door.   (Included rail and truck to the company in USA)   Of course, big difference that you did all your packing and loading.   

Concerning other devices to bring or leave.........after reading through these posts regarding difference between US and Thai 220v, got me thinking about all of the computer, phone, and other devices that are dual voltage.   Looks like at least one of my power packs shows 100-240v and 50-60 hz.   So apparently, the frequency is correct for both voltages.   Is that generally the case for dual voltage adapters?   (can't read the fine print on some of them)
Plugged in a Roku adapter.......did not realize it was 110v only until MONTHS later.   Was originally working fine.   Sort of surprised me that it did not blow immediately.  Got a new dual voltage adapter from aliexpress, and I'm back in business so thankfully the device was not affected.

Anything marked 100-250V 50/60Hz will be fine. This would include most (but not all) adaptors for phone, computer and accessories.

A lot of stuff 120V 60Hz stuff will work fine with just a transformer. A lot of stuff will not. Generally, the more complex something is, the less likely it is to work long term. Some stuff will work for a few months and then crap out. That said, more and more stuff is compatible and so many parts are produced for multiple markets.

If you wanted to use a full suite of US appliances you could use a frequency drive to speed the local power up up to 60Hz, and a transformer to choke it down to 120V. Then everything would work.

Not to much different in price if going to USA or from USA. USA is probably the most expensive country ship to and from. The handling in USA are out of this world.  Lot of ports in the world where lot of empty containers going out. Doesn't make different regarding export clearance cost etc. and via 1 or 2 ports to get to Laem Chabang. Even we are in Thailand it is not that cheap to road freight a container. My guess is to Khon Kaen and back to port is around THB 25,000.00 and then you unload yourself. So, again USD 3300,- sound so cheap that I would be suspicious regarding any hidden cost.  My friend didn't bring any electrical appliances to USA due to the difference in Voltage and phase.

The actual sea freight component of the cost from the US is absolutely cheaper than to the US. The exception would be countries that do not export much to the US.

The cost of local delivery and others charges are generally not related to the direction.
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2018 at 7:53 AM, mogandave said:

A great bed

Are Thai mattresses the same dimensions as US mattresses?

I've read stories about people paying big bucks to ship their beloved mattress to another country only to find that it didn't fit the bed, and that fitted sheets available in stores wouldn't fit the mattress. The whole project turned into a big white elephant, so to speak.

What about just renting out the Florida house furnished? Bring the stuff you don't want to part with for sentimental reasons or that you can't get in Thailand and assume that the rest will be slowly destroyed by your renters, for which you will collect damages.

Bring all the "homey" "knick nak" type stuff. That really makes a difference, and it's not that bulky.

6 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

I've read stories about people paying big bucks to ship their beloved mattress to another country only to find that it didn't fit the bed, and that fitted sheets available in stores wouldn't fit the mattress. The whole project turned into a big white elephant, so to speak.

Sorry, I was on page 2 when I posted, and the above is answered on page 3.

1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

I purchased a queen Dunlopillo in Bangkok.   Rated dimensions are 160cm x 200cm.  (actual is 158x200) 

US Std is 152cm x 203cm.    Obviously I pick up 3cm from the length, but in spite of the difference, the sheets I brought from US work.   Maybe because of the deep pockets?   

If the travel time is not prohibitive, those foam mattresses in a box are packed efficiently for shipping.   I got a very firm model back in the US that I like a lot.....very cheap too.   

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, Ahab said:

I recommend not bringing any electronics or appliances. Everything can be bought here, everything. You will have to look around, and may have to drive a bit but you can buy it here.

Agree 100%. For the cost of shipping you could replace everything you need here. I can't believe that any of the items you note are so precious that you can't bear to part with them. Obviously you want to bring personal possessions, but with 80 kg between the 2 of you as checked luggage, you should be able to bring all/ most with you. If your wife is visiting regularly, that's 40 kg every time.

Different people are in different situations , 

In my job in the US, I am in charge of purchasing tools for a very large High Rise building construction company. We have accounts with many providers (A.W. MEYER,Stillwell, Hilty . etc) they are very happy to have our business and treat me well, consequently I have many high quality tools that I would not otherwise have. If I sold then in the US, I would never replace all of them because I rarely use some of them, but they are good to have..  Even if I could find in Thailand  them the cost would be prohibitive.  

Self propelled walk behind lawn mower, 4000 psi pressure washer, generator (i know the 220v it produces is not ideal for Thailand but it will run my tools and some things for the house  if power went out) , air compressor and assorted tools,  leaf blower, bosch demolition hammer,   18v Milwaukee cordless (drill, impact gun, flashlight, 5" grinder, weed wacker, leaf blower) . skill saws, sawzalls etc,  Assorted hand tools,  garden tools etc.

Just there, it will cost me a lot more to replace in Thailand with comparable quality, than the $3.000 for the container, (if indeed that what it will end up costing) not to mention that I never will, because who really needs a demolition hammer.

Then there is the furniture. clothing, kitchen small appliances . Patio furniture, Stainless steel gas barbecue.  

Trust me when I say that I have no inclination , nor am I looking forward in taking time from work to go to FL (I am in NYC right now involved in work project) to pack everything, and wife just came back for Thailand, she will have to go back  to receive it. But I don't know what to do with all that stuff.. I dont want to give all my toys to the other kids,

Mine mine MINE! 

I am still thinking about this, Thank you all for all your good advice (pro, and against)

Edited by sirineou

I used to live at a place where the owner had loads of tools like you talk about -- but that was a 20 square mile hilly cattle ranch in Northern California.

Edited by JLCrab

16 minutes ago, grollies said:

220v is perfect for Thailand (50Hz of course).

I really don't know much about these things, I repeat what others have told me.

It has being told to me that my US generator produces 120v at 60 Hz and the 220v outlet is simply two 110/120v legs . I understand the 60 HZ difference but I don't understand why  220/240v pressure produces ny two 120v legs would be any different than  a straight 220v.

But (again if I understand this correctly)  when it comes to appliances such as electric stoves,  even though the Appliances are 220/240 some of the control and lighting, are rum on 120v thats because the 220/240v in the US comes in to the appliance as two legs of 110/120v (that's why the funny plug with all the weird shape prongs on the outlet)  so some components of the appliance use both 110/120v prongs ans some only one.

That's how it was explained to me , if I understood the explanation correctly.

53 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I really don't know much about these things, I repeat what others have told me.

It has being told to me that my US generator produces 120v at 60 Hz and the 220v outlet is simply two 110/120v legs . I understand the 60 HZ difference but I don't understand why  220/240v pressure produces ny two 120v legs would be any different than  a straight 220v.

But (again if I understand this correctly)  when it comes to appliances such as electric stoves,  even though the Appliances are 220/240 some of the control and lighting, are rum on 120v thats because the 220/240v in the US comes in to the appliance as two legs of 110/120v (that's why the funny plug with all the weird shape prongs on the outlet)  so some components of the appliance use both 110/120v prongs ans some only one.

You just totally lost me.......CROSSY...?

18 minutes ago, grollies said:

ok let me give it another try,,, lose you even more LOL

I also don't understand why the 220/240v from the generator would be different other than that it is 60Hz as opposed to the Thai 50HZ , I understand the difference in frequency causes motors to run slower and components to run hot.

But as far as 220/240v US appliances there is an oher issue.They are not full 220/240v but rather  240v/ 120v hybrids  (if I understand this correctly).

The 240v is accomplished by bringing two 120 leeds and a common in to the appliance. but some components in the appliance, such as light , timers, controls, only use the one  120v lead and the heating elements in the stove  will use both the the leads for a 240v.

where a thai purchased appliance would be straight 240v 50hz for everything .

One can bring a US 240v stove,  isolate all the components that use 120v and use a step down transformer on them, but that sounds like too much work to  me.

Did I manage to confuse even more? LOL

Edited by sirineou

12 hours ago, JAFO said:

I look back now and had I done what you are recommending to the OP I would likely be kicking myself in the ass. Just the few things I didn't bring that I have had to go buy here were not only double in cost but it took some time to find it and I had to drive to go get it or pay 1500 baht delivery.  I refuse to buy cheap crap that breaks in 2 weeks.

:clap2:

thats because the 220/240v in the US comes in to the appliance as two legs of 110/120v (that's why the funny plug with all the weird shape prongs on the outlet)  so some components of the appliance use both 110/120v prongs ans some only one.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

because you did not listen whilst looking at the buttocks of your maid walking by. :tongue:

Sirineou is correct (more or less)!

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For the cost of shipping you could replace everything you need here.

our 40foot HC container was insured for USD 500,000. we made the amount that low because we were afraid of customs duties. how does that tally with your statement? yawnnn.... :coffee1:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is why I bought good quality tools at HomePro

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

You can buy fair quality tools at HomePro.

I will agree, you can buy hammers and screwdrivers made by Stanley (at a premium), but what about open end wrenches, sockets, ratchets, drill bits, air tools, electric tools. cutters, pliers, vise grips? 

In the end if you are going the container route the key is to make it work for you  We did all the math and it does (By a large margin) when you consider the loss of selling the quality items you had versus trying to replace them here(some things are not even available). I was a ASE certified mechanic. My tools and tool box alone were worth the cargo container 3x over and I use them a lot here working on my truck, car, mower, tractor, scooters, motorcycle, well pump etc. Plus I brought over a huge inventory of various hardware items. But that's just me. To part out or sell tools and hardware back in the states I would have lost a ton of money then to come here and buy Stanley tools....

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

Self propelled walk behind lawn mower, 4000 psi pressure washer, generator (i know the 220v it produces is not ideal for Thailand but it will run my tools and some things for the house  if power went out) , air compressor and assorted tools,  leaf blower, bosch demolition hammer,   18v Milwaukee cordless (drill, impact gun, flashlight, 5" grinder, weed wacker, leaf blower) . skill saws, sawzalls etc,  Assorted hand tools,  garden tools etc.

You will use them and will be quite thankful you have them here, believe me. I love my pressure washer and as I said the self propelled lawn mower is GOLD (Btw, Pick up a few spare parts for it, Like an extra rear bag and a few blades). The Gas BBQ pit is also great. My wife uses it almost daily. In fact I have to fight her over it. Leaf blower....I use it frequently so does my wife and Father in law. I have a gas and cordless. My dewalt 20V Hammer drill is worth every penny. Over here you drill cement only. Seldom do anything wood. As for impact tools, I work on all my vehicles and they are great to have. my pneumatic die grinder and cut off wheel have been used over and over by me and my FIL.