Shipping 20 ft container from US to Thailand questions.

sirineou

9 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I get it, I have a single old friend like you (9 years older than me). Rented his whole life, lived alone, read a lot, never did much outside. Still is a grumpy old introvert....LOL..and still a good friend.  

"Like you"? You have no idea. I only live alone because I pay for the TGF's room in town so I can get at least some peace and quiet.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like he never got seduced by the dark side ( electronic medium and wife{s} ). Lucky guy.

He was married once early on, 8 years. She left him. His personality is a bit coarse as I tell him. He was, and still is, a great mechanical design engineer and was one of the key helps in my racing career but he is one grumpy old bastard now and complains about everything. I asked him to come over here and stay at my place. Thought a change of venue might lighten him up.... He said "Nahh why go there when I can stay here and complain, bitch and moan and have my expensive doctors close by" LOL.

No, I don't think anyone is saying or inferring he is a "moron".
Sorry if I implied I have a shed. My stuff is in storage, which happens to be a shed. I don't own any property.
If that wasn't an option, I'd give it all to a good friend. He's getting it all after I croak anyway. I wouldn't bring them over. It's so cheap to get vehicles serviced here I don't know why I'd want to do it myself. 
I don't love concrete, but it's the sensible option for a Thai style house with a small yard. I have no desire to get sweaty mowing a lawn. I "paved" 3 areas around our house. One with bought pavers ( only 8 baht each- it's almost giving them away compared with back home ), one with old bricks scavenged from around the house and one with small rocks- that one doesn't get walked on much.

would have to either get rid of his stuff, pay to store it, or bring it with him.
An option would be to store it till the OP has been in LOS long enough to know if he wants to bring it over, or not.

The OP (apparently) has been back and forth for long and short term for a good number years.

Paying to store stuff one plans to give away. That sounds really smart.

I get it, you don’t like yard work or wrenching on cars, but why is it so difficult for you to understand some guys do?

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

"Like you"? You have no idea. I only live alone because I pay for the TGF's room in town so I can get at least some peace and quiet.

I'd like to retract that comment,  it was unfair. I do not know you. You could be a nice guy.....who knows. You do come across as a grumpy old guy though....LOL!!!

http://wiki.dtonline.org/index.php/Spanners_and_Wrenches

Some spanners may be marked AF. This also means Across Flats but it is an Imperial size marking, or more correctly a SAE marking, associated with UNC and UNF screw threads - e.g. a 1/2" AF spanner is 1/2" across and fits a 5/16" diameter UNF nut.

The SAE refers to the thread, not the head size.

A half inch wrench fits any half inch nut or bolt, regardless of the thread.

It also fits a 12mm pretty well..

16 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I'd like to retract that comment,  it was unfair. I do not know you. You could be a nice guy.....who knows. You do come across as a grumpy old guy though....LOL!!!

OK retraction accepted. AS far as how I come across, maybe that is all show. But I do subscribe to the notion -- 

Image result for picasso solitude

BTW when someone compliments me on my vibraphone playing -- as did the OP -- I often say: Thanks. It only took 30 years.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The OP (apparently) has been back and forth for long and short term for a good number years.

And I think that is a very key point. Many came here on a whim, were running from something or someone or hit some age and their life sort of went sideways, went through a bad divorce and couldn't find a partner. After arriving here they met their "Young Thai princess" and went back and dumped everything in their home country, came back to make a run at it. Stereotypical I know but no denying it. Hard to think straight for some...

Then there were many of us that got to "live" here not blinded by those island princesses, not running but working. Got to live around the country. Decided rationally what would work or not work for them. I think the OP has been able to do that hence he knows what he wants and needs and knows his expectations and this is why a cargo container will work for him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Agreed My 10, 12 and 14mm fit many 7/16, 1/2" and 9/16" bolt heads. I know why they had slight differences and that was to stop people trying to screw in a metric threaded bolt into a SAE threaded hole. Like Allen heads. They both can fit but the threads are different. Many of us had elaborate Tap and Die sets for that very reason. LOL!!

I'm sure Picasso would be crushed to hear it.

Picasso's 'Young Girl with a Flower Basket" sold March 2018 for USD 155 million so you just saved yourself a lot of money.

6537.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Edited by JLCrab

I'm sure Picasso would be crushed to hear it.
Picasso's 'Young Girl with a Flower Basket" sold March 2018 for USD 155 million so you just saved yourself a lot of money.
6537.jpg?w=620%26q=55%26auto=format%26usm=12%26fit=max%26s=b20a3e7c9fc6ba1d88fff83f147dc2cb&key=edc0a10845828ad22fca2700f8373548b82153e40e79d9e31c2f2a962f9cc3ad

I thought he was dead. In any event, that people will pay a lot for something does not influence my appreciation for it one way or another.

“All my taste is in my mouth.”

Just now, mogandave said:

I thought he was dead. In any event, that people will pay a lot for something does not influence my appreciation for it one way or another.

“All my taste is in my mouth.”

Well you didn't save yourself as much as I thought as the price was $115 million not $155 million. Your opinion is just that.

I gave no opinion -- just his statement on solitude.

I was speaking to your opinion in general, not about your opinion about Picasso.

That said, I think that you quote him and present the monetary value of his work may speak to your opinion.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Given I can read English, the quote I gave clearly points out that SAE refers to the thread.

My job once upon a time required me to know all about threads and suchlike, and I even have the bits of paper to prove that I do know about threads and suchlike.

As the topic is not about spanner sizes, I'll not be continuing this line of conversation.

Even the attachments to U.S.A. air compressors don't fit here.  
 The big joke used to be.  Make sure and bring a metric crescent wrench. 

The 1/4” NPT used on most US air tools will work with the couplings and whatnot here.

There are good couplings availability here, but what seemed to be memories difficult to get here are good hose-clamps.

No doubt someone will come on and claim they can buy the finest hose-clamps in the world at HomePro, but that has just not been my experience.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I was speaking to your opinion in general, not about your opinion about Picasso.

That said, I think that you quote him and present the monetary value of his work may speak to your opinion.

Sure I quoted his opinion on solitude but I wasn't the one who paid $115 million for his painting which came out of the late David Rockefeller collection.

So what is the taste in your mouth of Stanley Kubrick?

Edited by JLCrab

Sure I quoted his opinion on solitude but I wasn't the one who paid $115 million for his painting which came out of the late David Rockefeller collection.

So what is the taste in your mouth of Stanley Kubrick?

He’s dead as well yes?

I never really did understand all the artsy people and why people were so wrapped up in them and quoted them. Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Claude Monet,  etc etc. Most of those guys were socially VERY VERY odd ducks. 

Now if we want to talk art, Lets talk about an all aluminium Donovan or Keith Black engine block. Those are true works of art and nothing "Odd" about them....LOL!!!!

Sorry OP, like almost all Threads by page 4 or so they are waaaay off track. 

Well OK K. JAFO I only provided the quote from Picasso on solitude as you alluded to my loner lifestyle -- but I didn't intend that would trigger a response from the latent art critics among the ThaiVisa hoi polloi. My apologies.

Well OK K. JAFO I only provided the quote from Picasso on solitude as you alluded to my loner lifestyle -- but I didn't intend that would trigger a response from the latent art critics among the ThaiVisa hoi polloi. My apologies.

I had to google hoi polloi, but I’ll take it as a compliment coming from you...

The Woman in the painting is holding a fan. But I want to thank you for this short exchange because, when people ask me why I keep to myself as regards farang in Thailand,  I can simply point to this conversation. Regards to you and your hose clamps.