Vaping could get you ten years in a Thai prison

rooster59

Vaping could get you ten years in a Thai prison

By Tanutam Thawan

E-Cigarette-Electronic_Cigarette-E-Cigs-E-Liquid-Vaping-Cloud_Chasing-Vaping_at_Work-Work_Vaping_15729054183-1021x580.jpg

It’s not a new law, with the import of electronic cigarettes and shisha being banned back in October 2014, but most tourists don’t know about the three year old laws.

Vaping, the popular alternative to smoking cigarettes, might be OK where you come from, but in Thailand sucking on your favourite ‘vape’, or even bringing them into the country, could put put you in a Thai prison for ten years.

It’s not a new law, with the import of electronic cigarettes and shisha being banned back in October 2014, but most tourists don’t know about the three year old laws. Adding to the confusion the new laws are often not enforced.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/vaping-could-get-you-ten-years-in-a-thai-prison-2

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-26

9 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Why not a 100 years in jail? or better still, executed for vaping or smoking a shisha? can the get anymore ridiculous than that?... and for some of us, we call Thailand home...

Well. I suppose that people would get to know about the law pretty quickly - word would probably spread.

• Like 1

Yawn.....this one never gets old.

36 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Adding to the confusion the new laws are often not enforced

You couldn't possibly add any more to the confusion.

It's simple, smoking cigarettes is safer for your health in Thailand.

• Like 2

Shisha is openly provided all over Pattaya, saw one distributor who operates on Newplaza being taken away by the police only to return a while later business as usual, I actually don't mind it so much but fumes from the little burning pot they use to prepare the stuff is extremely toxic 

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

Shisha is openly provided all over Pattaya, saw one distributor who operates on Newplaza being taken away by the police only to return a while later business as usual, I actually don't mind it so much but fumes from the little burning pot they use to prepare the stuff is extremely toxic 

That's mangrove wood coal. Yes it does smoke a bit at first but burns fairly clean after red hot. Not good for grilling but best for shisha as it burns hot and long enough. 

2 hours ago, coulson said:

Yawn.....this one never gets old.

You couldn't possibly add any more to the confusion.

It's simple, smoking cigarettes is safer for your health in Thailand.

it's better for the taxes, for sure..

• Haha 1

Outside Suwanapoom a few weeks ago where the smokers congregate and there were 3 youngish Asian lads vaping away like good un's. Police and airport security nearby, nobody batting an eye lid...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smedly said:

Charcoal 

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Yet the far more dangerous nicotine and alcohol are sold openly, and even promoted. What a stupid species we are.

If you look at what the vendors are selling in the capsules to be vaped it could be anything. I have seen nicotine capsules myself (cherry flavoured).  So not really that safe.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why not a 100 years in jail? or better still, executed for vaping or smoking a shisha? can the get anymore ridiculous than that?... and for some of us, we call Thailand home...

Yes, I live here, so what?

Of course I don't smoke, vape, shisha, chew tabacco, or whatever.

the problem is that all the laws in Thailand are applied as spikes. Now is the ban on cigarettes on the beaches and also is applied at the Music Festival at Bali Hai. But the same law bans cigarettes and shisha from all bars and discotheque but is rarely applied at this moment. Is more dangerous the smoke on a closed room or on the beach? 

7 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Just brilliant. Never any thought to fitting the punishment to the crime. Just fill up those already overcrowded jails and violate every human rights treaty ever conceived.  TIT

and violate every human rights treaty ever conceived.  TIT

really? thailand is not perfect but what evidence do you have that thailand has violated 'every human rights treaty ever conceived'? amnesty international would not agree with you.  you should send your evidence to them i'm sure they would be interested .

...or are you simply making a generalised negative thai bashing comment?

2 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Haven't quite managed to enforce the stopping at red lights law yet, so good luck with that one.

Nor smoking in restaurants...

should put vaping on the same terms as smoking tobacco until they can prove it is safer. 

Thais old chestnut again . they are selling them at the plastic markets by the dozen . there are online vape suppliers in thailand . i know 4 people who have have come in with them and gone out after customs checking as long as the batteries are in the cabin luggage no problem  they were told .  

last time i read on here they were reviewing the laws on E cigs  so i just don't know what to believe 

29 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Nor smoking in restaurants...

should put vaping on the same terms as smoking tobacco until they can prove it is safer. 

ask any one who has gone from smoking to vaping . see if they feel better for it 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

ask any one who has gone from smoking to vaping . see if they feel better for it 

Does not mean they are any safer, they probably are but they may still be harmful...

6 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Yet the far more dangerous nicotine and alcohol are sold openly, and even promoted. What a stupid species we are.

I as a smoker and a recreational and social saturday night boozer,  consider myself the primary stupid person in these dynamics.

On the other hand, look into the billions pumped into public money worldwide with all the taxes on tobacco and booze.

The revenue and profit generated is far superior to the costs on public health schemes to deal with healt issues connected to alchool or tabacco.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1