Cat Toys

connda

Can anyone recommend where I find a store that sells a fair amount of cat / kitten toys.

I have an orphaned kitten that her mom abandoned when she was four weeks old.  She's now seven weeks and has become all teeth and claws.  She's a true alpha predator, but without a litter mate to play with, well, humans in the house are prey.  Two of my dogs are socialized to cats but she doesn't show much interest in them, at least yet.  They are absolutely huge compared to her.  20 kilo vs 1/2 kilo.  She's still intimidated by the dogs even though they are calm around her.

So I need toys in order to give her some more play-time diversity and to ultimately bleed off and redirect some of that kitten energy.  Right now crumpled paper and tin foil, a round straining basket, string and a couple of stuffed animal are her current play things. 

I checked here at our Lamphun Big C and our vet but both have zilch.  So I'll be up in the Chiang Mai area this week and will try up there.  Just need to know of some places that have a selection of cat toys.

I also may entertain taking in another 6 to 8 week old kitten.  I've raised cats before and always in pairs.  I hadn't planned on raising a cat considering that 3 of our newest adolescent pups are not socialized with cats.   But now that I've taken that proverbial plunge into the pool by taking in an orphan, raising one more cat isn't any more of a problem.   I'll just have to deal with socializing the dogs.  The dogs are outdoor dogs and the cats will be indoor cats for the foreseeable future.  Any kitten I bring in would have to be flea free.  We have kittens locally but they are all flea infested and I'm simply neither going to deal with the bugs or bring an infested animal into my home.  Anyway, just thinking out loud on this.  :wink:

Thong Lor animal hospital on the middle ring road near Ruam Choke has a variety of toys and clawing posts and, last time I was there, one of those "-condo" climbing set ups.  Might be hard to take back to Lamphum but the kitten would thoroughly enjoy it.

Other good, larger vet shops around Chiangmai should have similar stuff.

Gosh, cats are easily amused.  I just came back from a little trip to Korea.  Hubby loved what I bought him at the duty-free shop and the cats are still playing with the duty-free bag, long after Hubby consumed what I brought him.

A trip to Warorot Market to buy what some would consider craft or sewing supplies would do the trick.  Chiang Mai Plastic and Kul would have everything you need.  Feathers, heavy cord, bamboo poles, tape, rubber bands, beads.  

Although, I've got to admit the best things we've found to keep our cats amused here in Thailand, we're either, umm I hate to admit this, but one place where we lived, was next to a filthy restaurant and our bathroom shared a floor drain with their kitchen.  So our solo cat became quite the cockroach hunter.  Playing with 20 to 30 cockroaches a day until they lost so many legs that they stopped being interesting took all his energy.  This was Mr. Bitey as a kitten and he wasn't called Mr. Bitey until we moved from that .. hmm .. colorful location and he lost his entertainment center and started to take out his aggression on us.  Solution:  adopt a kitten to keep him company.  Thank god it worked out well and now the little Samui princess comes to our defense when he's feeling just a little too much like "Mr. Bitey".

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 1:03 AM, NancyL said:

Gosh, cats are easily amused.  I just came back from a little trip to Korea.  Hubby loved what I bought him at the duty-free shop and the cats are still playing with the duty-free bag, long after Hubby consumed what I brought him.

A trip to Warorot Market to buy what some would consider craft or sewing supplies would do the trick.  Chiang Mai Plastic and Kul would have everything you need.  Feathers, heavy cord, bamboo poles, tape, rubber bands, beads.  

Although, I've got to admit the best things we've found to keep our cats amused here in Thailand, we're either, umm I hate to admit this, but one place where we lived, was next to a filthy restaurant and our bathroom shared a floor drain with their kitchen.  So our solo cat became quite the cockroach hunter.  Playing with 20 to 30 cockroaches a day until they lost so many legs that they stopped being interesting took all his energy.  This was Mr. Bitey as a kitten and he wasn't called Mr. Bitey until we moved from that .. hmm .. colorful location and he lost his entertainment center and started to take out his aggression on us.  Solution:  adopt a kitten to keep him company.  Thank god it worked out well and now the little Samui princess comes to our defense when he's feeling just a little too much like "Mr. Bitey".

I've made Miss Lucky's new nickname Miss Bitey.  The legacy lives on.  I attempted to roll the "let get another kitten" angle by the Mrs but to no avail.  "I no want two cat."  And there it is.  However it's the Mrs. who is getting ripped up by Miss Bitey.  She has three claw marks raked down across about 5 inches from her neck to her shoulder - we had a Betadine and antibiotic moment!  I did just receive a scratching post with a 'dangle toy' at the top from Lazada today.  Miss Bitey ignores it.  <sigh>  Instead she is rather fascinated by the piece of string with a ball of paper attached to the end that I made yesterday.  Hours of enjoyment.  So I'll probably remain 'low-tech' with the toys. String and some sewing stuff will probably be Miss Bitey's go-to toys.  :wink:

7 hours ago, connda said:

......... So I'll probably remain 'low-tech' with the toys. String and some sewing stuff will probably be Miss Bitey's go-to toys.  :wink:

Yeah.   Usually they pay more attention to the box the toy came in rather than the toy itself when I order something online.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stuartd1 said:

Until you accidentaly burn it's eyes out !

Humour, sarcasm apart.

Have used a laser before with "Mystery" and it provided many an hour of fun and exercise for him when it has been bucketing it down outside, whilst I was feeling lethargic.

It would be nigh damn impossible to burn out his eyes unless intentional.