British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand

webfact

They say the clot came from her leg, so presumably they knew she took a knock to the leg the previous day and the bus angle has nothing to do with it. The only interesting point in this story is exactly which 'death risk' bus it was and where it came from but they studiously avoided mentioning it.

Long distance buses stop every few hours in any case - ample opportunity to stretch the legs - and if it was one of the tourist mini-buses from Seam Reap you can be sure that much of the day was forcibly spent lounging in commission-restaurants along the way.

She might want to get that 'unknown hole the heart' checked.

Never mind. Given the low-brow journalism on display, I'm assuming the whole story is trumped up.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, trd said:

She was paralyzed and now she's made a full recovery and running?

Yes a full recover is possible with the correct treatment  i had a stroke after having a bypass back in 1996 still here though at 80 not running any more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Poor girl, those third world bus marathons are a nightmare, thankfully she has made a full recovery. Sitting anywhere for 14 hours is unnatural, and dangerous to your health. Our bodies are made for movement, and plenty of it. Never take a bus if a train is an option, try to get an aisle seat on a plane so it is easier to walk around. loosen your belt and other tight accoutrements. 

Poor girl, those third world bus marathons are a nightmare

Oooh dear, very unfortunate indeed!

Strange how 1000's of THIRD World beings travel daily on those nightmares!

Poor girl indeed! I too am thankful for her recovery.

Edit

And the bus travelled non stop for 14 hours?

Edited by ravip

30 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

"Third World bus marathon" ? Really? Thai buses are top of the line, long distance haulers.

But yes walk around, get out of your seat, and stretch your legs. Why is a train better?

Ehh? Really? Thai buses top of the line?  Really? I rate at best the HuaHin to Bangkok Mercedes buses nice (still not sun protection from toilet paper thickness curtains) and perhaps some of Nakhon Chai Air fleet as good at best, but even those are showing their age - whoever thought to consider maintenance and practicality when putting in gimmicky massage electrics in the chairs, I think top of the line a long stretch and 90% of buses coming in and out of Mochit certainly don't qualify, not the 999 buses, or sombat tours (terrible smell last journey), other VIP buses anyway - show me one without a smelly toilet issue. Not saying they are terrible, and probably better than Cambodia, but top of line is setting an extremely low bar. All long haul buses in Malaysia even on short trips such as KL to Penang are much better maintained from AC, toilets, inbuilt TV, cleaniness, etc..     

Edited by mekko
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, trd said:

She was paralyzed and now she's made a full recovery and running?

My father had a stroke when he was about 70 - it was properly diagnosed and he lost memory and facial movement but within about 2 months made a full recovery.  Someone much younger is better equipped for recovery as well.  Of course Paralysis might have referred to a numb arm or facial drop - it doesn't say she was completely paralysed.

• Like 2

My father had a stroke when he was about 70 - it was properly diagnosed and he lost memory and facial movement but within about 2 months made a full recovery.  Someone much younger is better equipped for recovery as well.  Of course Paralysis might have referred to a numb arm or facial drop - it doesn't say she was completely paralysed.
Wow, that's really encouraging.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

That may be a better and safer option over a sitting in cramped bus for 14 hours.

So thought I. But lots of people told me I risked more on the roads than in a bus.

Who's right, idk, I saw the double-decker compressed a few weeks ago, lets one think.

And vans are not an option either, like Russian roulette.

So buses yes, but... Anyway when our time has come...

2 minutes ago, mekko said:

Ehh? Really? Thai buses top of the line?  Really? I rate at best the HuaHin to Bangkok Mercedes buses nice and perhaps some of Nakhon Chai Air fleet as good at best, but even those are showing their age - whoever thought to consider maintenance and practicality when putting in gimmicky massage electrics in the chairs, I think top of the line a long stretch and 90% of buses coming in and out of Mochit certainly don't qualify, not the 999 buses, or sombat tours with rank smelling sheets, or any other VIP buses anyway - show me one without a smelly toilet issue. Not saying they are terrible, and probably better than Cambodia, but top of line is setting an extremely low bar. All long haul buses in Malaysia even on short trips such as KL to Penang are much better maintained from AC, toilets, inbuilt TV, cleaniness, etc..     

The last time I rode Grayhound in US or Canada the buses seemed antiquated compared to a VIP bus in Thailand.

I don't know your standards but the VIP buses here seem superior to North America.

6 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

The last time I rode Grayhound in US or Canada the buses seemed antiquated compared to a VIP bus in Thailand.

I don't know your standards but the VIP buses here seem superior to North America.

She was on a Cambodian bus , very different to Thai buses

2 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Fact: They ship the old Trailways and Greyhounds to Thailand when considered to be dead ducks in USA. Your standards are interesting, all things considered.

That isnt a fact .

Many of the buses in Thailand were bought new from the manufacturer 

In my days, backpackers were a lot stronger and use to do two 14 hours bus-rides a day plus visiting 4 temples, eating 3-4 meals and had an healthy 8 hour sleep ?

No moaning, as there were no mobile phones and no social media to moan on...

The Good Old Days ?

9 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

They could do with a lot more care and attention, the original fleet investment of some of the companies has been wasted through poor maint, I'm not just talking about preventative "brake failure" that sees one thai VIP/double-decker bus fly off the road every other week but looking at toilets, A/C, sun protection + curtains, and seat functions. Nakhonchai air were once the most promising but last few times the seats have shown their age with controls not working properly or cushioning gone, and unfortunately no other companies is even within sight of them. Granted I guess it's still better than most US buses. 

14 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I live in Chiang Rai. VIP buses here seem relatively new, not rejects from the states.

My point was the bus was not at fault, but that people need to educate themselves about dealing with long trips, whether by plane, train, or bus. Get up and walk. Drink water, get up and walk again, etc.

The green bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, forgot that one ain't bad - will agree with you there, but across the board there's a long long way to go in consistency and safety and accurately classifying what is and isn't a VIP bus.  Back on topic, if you paid for pleasant bus ride and some old piece of junk turns up, full to brim, blood cot causing seating, or worse a mini-bus just write it off and book with someone else, not worth the $7 - it means one or two less changs 

Edited by mekko

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Poor girl, those third world bus marathons are a nightmare, thankfully she has made a full recovery. Sitting anywhere for 14 hours is unnatural, and dangerous to your health. Our bodies are made for movement, and plenty of it. Never take a bus if a train is an option, try to get an aisle seat on a plane so it is easier to walk around. loosen your belt and other tight accoutrements. 

i very much doubt she was sitting in her seat for 14 hours, buses stop for breaks every few hours and she would be out of the bus and walking at the border for sure. people need to make use of these breaks to get up and walk around.

hope this girl makes a full recovery.

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

That's bad luck at such an early age.

Sad thing is, after one stroke, they often happen again with greater frequency and more serious effects.

Probably the end of her getting holiday insurance.

Nope. She will have to wait 2 -3 years then can be insured.

5 k run is not a lot anyway. I used to run that 4 nights a week no dramas. 

Fact: They ship the old Trailways and Greyhounds to Thailand when considered to be dead ducks in USA. Your standards are interesting, all things considered.

And they move the steering wheel and doors to the opposite side?

Generally the the buses are built here new on imported chassis.
  • Haha 1

A deep venous thrombosis is a well documented,although relatively rare, complication of long distance travel in a cramped sitting position.

There are several associated risk factors,amongst which is oral contraceptive[the pill} therapy.

Interestingly the lady developed what is termed a paradoxical embolus through a hole in the heart.A blood clot from a DVT will usually stay on the right side of the circulation resulting in a pulmonary embolus.

However in this case the embolus migrated through the hole in the heart to the left side of her circulation,thus lodging in a cerebral artery causing a stroke.

Fortunately she has made a good recovery.Could have been a lot worse.

• Like 1

It seems like brits In  general are very unhealthy and weak, they make up the majority of incidents in Thailand.

So she was sittimg on a bus 14 hours straight? Strange, last time I took that bus, the bus stopped for 10 minutes every 4 hours+ At the immigration.

1. It did not shocked me at all it was a Brit, world champions in moaning, drinking and fighting.

2. If she had trouble with her health, don’t be <deleted> stupid travel arround the world, get your treatment In your home country, don’t risk your life abroad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, one baht said:

l wear the compression socks now without fail ,something l wasn't aware of up until

4 years ago when a doctor suggested it would be a good ldea and

explained about Deep Vein Thrombosis and how the compression socks can greatly reduce

the risk of DVT

I always wear an entire compression body suit - you can buy them at Amazon- gets a few weird looks .