UK Married Couple visiting Thailand for 4 months.

a Multi-Entry Tourist Visa from either the Thai Embassy or a consulate in their homeland UK.  It gives them a headache-free stay of a minimum of six months. A border run must be made before the expiration of the first 60 days, though.

They can check the website of the Thai Embassy London for the requirements to meet when applying for a METV

The Fee for this visa is Pound Sterling 125.oo

**For application in person, visa fees are payable in pound sterling (£) in cash only.**

**For application by post, visa fees are payable in pound sterling (£) in cash or postal order made payable to the Royal Thai Embassy.**

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa :

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue. You must enter Thailand within the validity of visa. 

Travellers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand not exceeding 60 days for each entry within the period of 6 months from the date of arrival in Thailand. Please check the immigration stamp in the passport regarding the exact length of stay.

Required Documents

For Multiple Entries (stay up to 60 days for each entry within the period of 6 months)

• A current passport with validity of over 6 months beyond the date of application  and at least 2 blank pages
  • Visa application form completely filled out
  • Two (2) recent photos of the applicant
  • Original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank
  • A letter from the applicant's employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy)
            If you are self-employed, you self-assessment and a company registration document are required.
  • A photocopy of the confirmed air ticket to Thailand
  • A photocopy of the hotel reservation confirmation in Thailand

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

If they are 65 or over on a state pension they could get single entry non-o visas that would a allow a 90 day entry, Then do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If not then a single entry tourist visa that will allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. Then a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Friends from the UK (a retired couple, financially secure, aged 50+)

5 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

a Multi-Entry Tourist Visa from either the Thai Embassy or a consulate in their homeland UK.  

Required Documents

A letter from the applicant's employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy)

Their retired, not employed.

They also stopped issuing single entry Non Imm O for over 50's and retired.

As Joe suggested Jip, only option is a single entry TV (60 days) extended at Immigration for 30 days (60 +30 = 90).

Then depending on their return flight date, a border hop for a 30 day Visa exempt (total 120 days), which can also be extended for another 30 days at Immigration if required (150 days), or obtain another TV from a nearby Thai Embassy Consulate, which can also be extended and give them a total of 180 days.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

A border run must be made before the expiration of the first 60 days, though.

This is a reason to limit the stay to 90 days which is what I would suggest they do.

Travelling to another country merely for the hell of it due to some arbitrary whim by some long distinct government way back when this rule was introduced isn't something I find a lot of people do willingly.

Those who want to live in Thailand for one reason or another will do this but when you're on holiday it's a bit of a stretch. I know plenty of poeple who've limited their stays to 90 days over the past few winters.

11 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Those who want to live in Thailand for one reason or another will do this but when you're on holiday it's a bit of a stretch. I know plenty of poeple who've limited their stays to 90 days over the past few winters.

On the other hand, I know many who plan 4/5 months in Thailand to miss the worst of the UK winter.

They use Thailand as a base to visit other nearby Countries, especially Vietnam and they don't find a stretch to obtain another TV from a nearby Consulate. They quite enjoy meeting others from different cultures.

12 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

A border run must be made before the expiration of the first 60 days, though.

That is not correct. A 30 day extension of each 60 day entry can be applied for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

Can a retired person with pension apply for a METV ?

A retired person in receipt of the State Pension can apply for the 90 day single entry Non Imm O, or the 1 year multi entry Non Imm O Visa.

(UK residents).

29 minutes ago, geisha said:

Can a retired person with pension apply for a METV ?

With proof of a retirement pension they could apply for instead of needing to prove you are employed. There of been reports of people getting one with a pension income.

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

With proof of a retirement pension they could apply for instead of needing to prove you are employed. There of been reports of people getting one with a pension income.

Cheaper to get the Non Imm O ME in the long run Joe.

Same price as a METV. £125.

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Cheaper to get the Non Imm O ME in the long run Joe.

Same price as a METV. £125.

They would have to be on a state pension (65+ I think) to get the non-o. The pension could be private for the METV.

Also the question I answered did not mention the UK. I was anwering in general terms not just the UK.