Hot Air popcorn maker

watgate

I looking to buy a  small hot air popcorn maker machine but am having no luck finding one in Chiang Mai. Does anyone know where I can find one to buy in Chiang Mai? Also, where can one find the small kernels that you put into the popcorn maker machine?  If I can't find one in Chiang Mai I might have to order online but would at least like to be able to buy the kernels in Chiang Mai. Any info would be appreciated.

i use my microwave oven to make popcorn.  have tried 3 different methods of containment including paperbags (works well, tie off the end with rubber band), food storage tubs with lid, and now use a cheap, open weave plastic waste bin, with top cut down to fit into oven.  Dump in some kernals, place cheap, open weave plastic colander on top and turn on oven for 5 mins.  Keep popping till no more pops. If too long can burn some kernals, stinking the room.  

Once all finished (never 100% popped), pull out and dump corns into rice cooker pot, drizzle some soy sauce and have at it.  Best, certainly, with cold beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

i use my microwave oven to make popcorn.  have tried 3 different methods of containment including paperbags (works well, tie off the end with rubber band), food storage tubs with lid, and now use a cheap, open weave plastic waste bin, with top cut down to fit into oven.  Dump in some kernals, place cheap, open weave plastic colander on top and turn on oven for 5 mins.  Keep popping till no more pops. If too long can burn some kernals, stinking the room.  

Once all finished (never 100% popped), pull out and dump corns into rice cooker pot, drizzle some soy sauce and have at it.  Best, certainly, with cold beer.

No oil at all?

41 minutes ago, dddave said:

Last time I bought popcorn in 500 or 1000 gram bags, I ordered them from TESCO online and had them delivered.  A lot less frustrating than the hit and miss scrounge at the local shops.  That was in BKK, but I assume they have TESCO online in CM? 

BTW, I pop mine in the microwave using a silicon popcorn bowl ordered from AliExpress for around $10 USD.  Tried to order one from Amazon, but the shipping was going to make it a $50 popcorn bowl.  I don't use oil for popping, but later add olive oil instead of butter to make my cardio guy happy.

• Like 1

Both Tops and Rimping sell popcorn. Rimping even sells two different brands. Both are shipped vacuum-sealed so the moisture content remains at 14%... the ideal for popping large, tender kernels. However, this being Thailand, half the bags lose their seal, so it pays to look through the shelf for the bags that are still tight if you want good popcorn. 

As for hot-air popcorn poppers,  the big food store (the name escapes me right now...  3 letters...) on the Superhighway sells them in their upstairs appliance division.  But popcorn made in those things is best used as shipping container fill rather than food... healthy, but tasteless!

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

I use  no oil.  No cleanup needed. I buy the corn at Kasem shop, a local grown corn.  But the Thai farmers probably use hybrid seeds from USA, the home of all corn.

Frankly i see little merit in buying fancy devices useful for one purpose only. I paid 30 baht for my corn cooker, the microwave comes with the rented room.  I make good popcorn, time after time.

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

As for hot-air popcorn poppers,  the big food store (the name escapes me right now...  3 letters...) on the Superhighway sells them in their upstairs appliance division. 

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Yok?

That's the place!!  :)